Wife's awareness at Wally World

This is a discussion on Wife's awareness at Wally World within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good situational awareness and tactics on your wife's part. That will go a long way to avoiding a gunfight, or other lethal scenario. Biker...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wife's awareness at Wally World

Good situational awareness and tactics on your wife's part.

That will go a long way to avoiding a gunfight, or other lethal scenario.

Biker

2. Remove Ads

If the fellow in the other line just picked something up to complete a realistic scenario (so he could stall)...then why didn't he just drop it and move out as soon as your wife left the check out area? That way he could be right behind her. Don't get me wrong, I'm darn glad he didn't but something just doesn't seem clear to me about this.

Glad she had her radar on.......that is 99% of the battle and she was really tuned in!
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Boy View Post
    If the fellow in the other line just picked something up to complete a realistic scenario (so he could stall)...then why didn't he just drop it and move out as soon as your wife left the check out area? That way he could be right behind her. Don't get me wrong, I'm darn glad he didn't but something just doesn't seem clear to me about this.
    The BG got into the normal checkout line, while my wife was in the self checkout. He certainly could have walked out of the line and immediately pursued my wife and her friend. Perhaps he thought it would be too suspicious - I don't know.
    I did explain to my wife the many ways that this incident could have gone south in a hurry. She agreed, and said she knew if she got out right then, she'd be ok. Womens intuition??
    It did reinforce the need for good SA and being armed. She is not sure that she could take a life, and does not want to carry until she is comfortable with that. She knows I can, and trusts my judgment and carrying.
    That Wally world is crossed off the list of places to visit, and her SA remains high.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

I Teach the NRA RTBAV course & the #1 thing is "BEING AWARE" & TRUSTING YOUR "GUT". Your Wife did BOTH

As to Her "ensuing actions" HER CALL. Thankfully it turned out

Puffer

Quote Originally Posted by hayzor View Post
    Then they saw 4 guys come out the entrance (the 2 she had seen and 2 others) and fan out into the parking lot.

Whatever it was in their bearing, demeanor, attention toward them, degree of nervousness or tension, your wife was able to read that as: threat.

Beyond which, she reacted correctly given the seriousness and immediacy of the threat.

It's surprising that four thugs allegedly stalking her to attack would allow themselves to get so far behind that they would fail to see where she went (to the car). Based on this fact, perhaps they weren't actually after your wife and friend. Perhaps they were intent on theft but decided to round up the crew and exit once they realized they were blown. Perhaps something else.

Either way, she ended up okay. If incapable of defending against a threat, it's certainly preferable to immediately seek safety. Kudos, for that.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

If incapable of defending against a threat, it's certainly preferable to immediately seek safety.
    I'd like to amend that to its always preferable, capability aside....
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

One of them picked up something to buy real quick as they entered the line. She said that it didn’t seem right. They made momentary eye contact and she knew it wasn’t good. She left her things and told her friend they had to leave now. Her friend also had some things to buy, but dropped them and they left. They hurried out to the car, got in and locked the doors. Then they saw 4 guys come out the entrance (the 2 she had seen and 2 others) and fan out into the parking lot.
    Sounds like they could have been theft prevention guys. Your wife making eye contact with one and dropping her stuff and then hurrying out the door would send up a red flag IF they were security people.
    Just sayin........it would be unusual for 4 guys to go after 2 women in a Walmart parking lot.....purse snatchers, molesters etc...tend to work alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorblade View Post
    Sounds like they could have been theft prevention guys. Your wife making eye contact with one and dropping her stuff and then hurrying out the door would send up a red flag IF they were security people.
    Just sayin........it would be unusual for 4 guys to go after 2 women in a Walmart parking lot.....purse snatchers, molesters etc...tend to work alone.
    They could have been security, but from my wifes description of them, its doubtful. Also, if they were security, they did a poor job of containment.
    If they were, my wife may have a career as a shoplifter. LOL
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

GREAT SA by your wife and her friend. I see a CCW in her future! NOT sure if I would want my wife to leave the "safety" of the store for the parking lot. Might have called security or better yet the cops before heading to the car. Happy ending was what was important. Get that lady a gun! GOOD LUCK.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

My wife told me of her recent events at Wal Mart. She and her friend were picking up a few things at Walmart (middle of the day) and were in the self checkout line. She noticed 2 guys in the next line over. One of them picked up something to buy real quick as they entered the line. She said that it didn’t seem right. They made momentary eye contact and she knew it wasn’t good. She left her things and told her friend they had to leave now. Her friend also had some things to buy, but dropped them and they left. They hurried out to the car, got in and locked the doors. Then they saw 4 guys come out the entrance (the 2 she had seen and 2 others) and fan out into the parking lot. She left quickly and wasn’t seen by any of the men (if you can call them that). Her friend was amazed when she saw the 4 guys come out, obviously looking for them. She had not noticed a thing.

I reviewed the situation w/ her and repeated the fact that she should be packing, which she is getting close to doing. We are researching guns for her. She won’t carry my XD – too big, although she operates and shoots it well. Also told her that staying inside the store and calling 911 or contacting store security is safer than going into the parking lot when you know you are being followed. She said she knows that, but she knew that she was parked very close to the entrance and that the BG’s were in line for another minute or 2. We talked about more things that could have gone wrong for her, but in the end she had good awareness and it reinforced the need to carry. Which she will be doing soon. Like many of you know, it must happen on her time frame.

I was proud of her awareness – I also want to bust some heads (4 of them).
    Hayzor:

Get your wife to try a Baby Glock (Glock 26 - 9mm)

It is easy to shoot and she can get a 22 cal conversion bbl to train with thus avoiding recoil. It also has a manageable recoil with the 115 grain rounds and is very forgiving regarding maintenance.

I have both and the baby glock carries well.

Capt. Art

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    oh yeah newer walmart but right in downtown chandler with alot of shady people, glad everything worked out ok, is she considering carrying?
    I would assume that Chandler, AZ is not the best place to live?
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

VIP Member
    The doctor is in.

A predator may react to fear or startle or flight response - perhaps seen in the wife's eyes during eye contact - by pouncing. When the gut starts talking, "threat", overreacting - flying or creating space - in the opposite direction may embolden the predator mind.

In this case - the show of force (by the four suspects in the parking lot after the eye contact inside) may be the final pounce if the prey is cowering near the outside of the door.

I have personal experience with this reaction. The impression it leaves is that the predator is a bully feeling in control and even hysterical. I wonder if your wife observed this in any of the four coming out the door?
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Ruger LCP with CT would be good for her
    Matthew <><
    Helotes, Texas

Beretta/Stoeger Cougar 8000f -blued, 9mm
    Kel-Tec PF9- 9mm, hard chrome
    Ruger LCP with CT

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links