Men not Sheep - Page 2

Men not Sheep

This is a discussion on Men not Sheep within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I guess one of the brothers got banged up worse than originally reported. BY MARK SCHULTZ - Staff Writer Tags: local | news CHAPEL HILL ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Men not Sheep

Info Update

I guess one of the brothers got banged up worse than originally reported.

BY MARK SCHULTZ - Staff Writer
    Tags: local | news

CHAPEL HILL -- Joey Shelton was driving up North Columbia Street on Wednesday afternoon when he saw a man dragging a young jogger toward a car in a parking lot.

"He's looking like he's wrasslin' her," Shelton, 51, said Thursday. "All I knew was the guy was doing this woman wrong in broad daylight."

Chapel Hill police say what happened next probably kept the 19-year-old woman from being kidnapped.

Shelton, a part-time barber and chauffeur, said he and his brother Freddie, 50, were going to check out surplus computers when they saw the man grab the woman.

She had been jogging past the parking lot behind the RBC Bank at East Rosemary and North Columbia streets, about two blocks north of the UNC-Chapel Hill campus.

"We said it was wrong, let's go do something," said Shelton, who lives in Pittsboro.

He backed his Cadillac Concours into the lot to block the exit, and he and his brother got out.

The man had sprayed the jogger in the face with what she later described as pepper spray. He let go, and she fell to the ground, and he got into a white Chevrolet.

The Cadillac didn't completely block his escape. He swerved the Chevrolet around the Cadillac, pinning Shelton between the two cars.

"He got me spinning like a top before I landed on his hood," Shelton said.

"My body must have busted his window," he said. "My brother said he watched in horror as he sees his brother just creamed by this car."

Suspect found quickly

Fifteen minutes later, police found the Chevrolet up the road at Mill Creek Condominiums.

About 3:30 p.m., about 90 minutes after the incident, police saw the suspect walking out from the trees at Timber Hollow Apartments on Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard. Theodore James Walker, 26, of 108 Timber Hollow Court, was arrested without incident, Lt. Kevin Gunter said. He was charged with second-degree kidnapping, assault on a female and assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury.

Before Wednesday, Walker had only driving charges, including a guilty plea to driving while impaired in 2006, according to court records.

'I just got sprayed'

On Thursday, police released 911 calls. On one, a woman at the RBC Bank was reporting the attack when the young woman, 19, was brought into the building and gets on the phone.

"I just got sprayed - what do I need to do for that - in the eyes," says the woman, distraught but able to describe the man.

Is the man still there, the operator asks.

"I don't know," the young woman replies. "I ran away and started screaming."

Police would not release the jogger's name.

Gunter praised the Shelton brothers for getting involved. "I think this young lady may have been in grave danger if they had not intervened," he said.

Gunter said he could not recall a recent similar attack.

In 1993, a jogger in Chapel Hill was killed when she sprayed her attacker with Mace and he shot her five times. Anthony Georg Simpson was found guilty of second-degree murder in the death of Kristin Lodge-Miller and was sentenced to life.

On Thursday Shelton was resting after treatment at UNC Hospitals for a fractured and compressed disc.

He said the young woman called to thank the brothers. "It was a beautiful thing," he said, "because her birthday is today.

"She's got a lot more birthdays, praise God."

News researcher Brooke Cain contributed to this report.

Read more: Men's action thwarts attack - Orange County - NewsObserver.com

I'm just glad these guys put their own safety aside and did the right thing, otherwise we would be dealing with another Eve Carson. I worked in Chapel Hill for 3 years and while I would dread being put in a situation like this I can honestly say that this type of person getting a 230 grain induced dirt-nap would not make me lose sleep.

I don't like to inject shouda, wouda, coulda's into things. But if it was me instead of spraying the guy in the face with pepper spray, I would have sprayed his chest lead!!
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Who doesn't like the good 'ole "I stopped taking my meds which caused me to abduct and rape and beat woman half to death excuse..............."

This guy needs to be locked up in his own special little room...
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

One thing that got me thinking: If the two guys who intervened had firearms and/or CCW permits, this would be another story about people who intervene and pretend to imitate cops would it not? In most cases, people don't care if someone intervenes without a firearm, but the moment a firearm comes into the equation, boom, anti-gun people come crawling out of everywhere to complain about so-called "wannabe cops."

It likely wouldn't have mattered in this situation since it was a younger girl who was being dragged in a parking lot, but I still wanted to bring it up.

Am I off base here? What does everyone else think? I would have intervened no matter what, but I just wanted to spark some discussion.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Not off base at all. I can 'see' a police spoks-person saying calling 911 would've been best and civil charges aginst the brothers for shooting our 'victim' while on his way to pick up his meds and then to choir practice, blah, blah, blah......

I can also 'see' them being praised for intervening and stopping the attack.
    That (the brothers employing firearms) could go either way. The 'mind-set' in Chappel Hill would be the factor that'd play in which 'direction' your 'what-if' sceaniro would take.

Bravo Zulu on those two for the action they DID take!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Prayers for the man hurt and the other man who helped save the woman. Not on his meds? I think his meds oughta be simplified. Only one dose needed. 3 copper and lead shots of at least 115 grain each forcibly put into his chest at 10 yards or so.
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    His Meds should be (JHP) About at least 125gn ; )
    H/D
    That is perfect....
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links