Robbed at Gun and Knife Point - What Would You Have Done? - Page 3

Robbed at Gun and Knife Point - What Would You Have Done?

This is a discussion on Robbed at Gun and Knife Point - What Would You Have Done? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Spar10: I don't understand why you didn't change your direction when you realized that you should have done so earlier. Your "gut" told you that ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Robbed at Gun and Knife Point - What Would You Have Done?

Spar10:

I don't understand why you didn't change your direction when you realized that you should have done so earlier.

Your "gut" told you that they did not belong, this was probably not your first walk with the dog, and you know the neighborhood.

Nevermind that you never looked for another pair of dirt bags who were in the get away car, why walk into trouble?

You were really lucky that you did not get beaten for the measly amount of cash they stole from you, and if you were armed and again did not change your path (even to the other side of the street) you would be up to your azz is red tape or blood (theirs and yours).

While I will never give up without a fight, I refuse to walk into one that is easily avoidable.

Capt. Art

Spar I would definetely stay away from legal advice provided by gun forums you done right in my eyes. Taking a life is not worth a wallet..whether its your life or the bad guys. A good prosecutor would angle you into second degree murder on a technicality. So be careful and stay safe. Give up the wallet whether you are carrying or not, then retreat. Use deadly force when absolutely necessary.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sledzep01 View Post
    11PM?
    Winter?
    My weak hand has the leash and my pistol is in my strong hand in my jacket/coat pocket.
    See the gun pointed at me, fire. spin quickly to see how badly the boy behind me has sh@t himself. Still a threat? shoot again.

Sled
    X2

But I would have avoided all of that and turned around...... or better yet, I would have walked my dog in the day light. Nothing good happens at night.*

*not outside anyways
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

If a gun is drawn you are looking at a real threat. Reach in your pocket as if going for money, then proceed according to your state's laws on SD. You have no idea how old they are or if their weapons are real or not. It is a work hazard of the criminal profession. You can't assume someone that will point a gun at you and rob you will not kill you once you comply.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcabin View Post
    Drawing would have got you killed.
    Agreed.

To save your life, you need to act BEFORE you have a broken gun and steak knife pointed at you.

And I like whoever said, "get a bigger dog." Also good advice if you still are thinking about walks at 11:00pm. Even thugs with a gun know they can't control a loyal dog with threatening behavior. Deterrents are great.
    Crime should be outlawed.

Quote Originally Posted by 45tek View Post
    Taking a life is not worth a wallet..whether its your life or the bad guys. A good prosecutor would angle you into second degree murder on a technicality. So be careful and stay safe. Give up the wallet whether you are carrying or not, then retreat. Use deadly force when absolutely necessary.
    Unfortunately, you don't know if the BG only wants your wallet...if the BG demonstrates hostile intent...i.e. displays a knife or a gun....then the intent is to take your life. If the BG does not want his life taken, then he should be in another line of work.

In the OPs case--it was a BG who only wanted a wallet...but what about next time? IMO, if you're set up to give up your wallet every time, then you should stop carrying a gun...because that is the next thing they take.

Improve SA, practice, train, and be prepared to stop the threat.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by 45tek View Post
    ...Taking a life is not worth a wallet..whether its your life or the bad guys. A good prosecutor would angle you into second degree murder on a technicality. So be careful and stay safe. Give up the wallet whether you are carrying or not, then retreat. Use deadly force when absolutely necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Unfortunately, you don't know if the BG only wants your wallet...if the BG demonstrates hostile intent...i.e. displays a knife or a gun....then the intent is to take your life. If the BG does not want his life taken, then he should be in another line of work.

In the OPs case--it was a BG who only wanted a wallet...but what about next time? IMO, if you're set up to give up your wallet every time, then you should stop carrying a gun...because that is the next thing they take....
    Thank you. I really did not want to get into the whole "not worth it / it's just a wallet" issue.

If more people refuse to be victims under any circumstance, then we might just be able to stem the tide of wannabe hardened criminals while they are in the apprenticeship program.

For deeper insight I refer to this now closed thread... http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-property.html

Unfortunately the OP put himself in this position, primarily by ignoring his gut. Then he was forced to deal with the situation on the BG terms. Harsh lesson, and an even harsher way to learn it. It sounds like the OP has learned from this and will not be a free repeater.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    I am 68 years old living most of that time in NY/NJ, hardly the Garden of Edens of the world. Up until 2 years ago I never touched a firearm in my life and in all thoe 68 years I have never been in a situation that ever came close to wanting or needing or even thinking about a firearm. As most have said already, situational awareness is, IMO, at least 95% (if not more) of self defense. You can have the biggest and the baddest with lasers and lights and sights and multiple mags etc etc but avoidance is the easiest way.You walked right into something you knew was not right--nough said.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Without reading the other replies. You just admitted what you should have done, went the other way, 11:00 P.M. at night two people standing on a street corner usually means trouble unless your in a busy part of town which obviously you were not according to your description of walking your dog in a neighbor.

You did what you had to do, give it up, armed would have made no difference, they had the drop on you. Shooting them after it was over with possibly in the back might not bode well depending you on your laws in your state (just saying, not sure), threat heading away type of thing and especially if you hit them in the back.

Just my view.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Two words, "decoy wallet" one old picture of you and your significant other, $7 cash, plus, I'm sure everyone has at least one credit card where the account has been "compromised", and the account closed, (as of my recent travels, I have three, all with expiration dates to last awhile).

Be sure to carry this on "weak side".
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    I am 68 years old living most of that time in NY/NJ, hardly the Garden of Edens of the world. Up until 2 years ago I never touched a firearm in my life and in all thoe 68 years I have never been in a situation that ever came close to wanting or needing or even thinking about a firearm. As most have said already, situational awareness is, IMO, at least 95% (if not more) of self defense. You can have the biggest and the baddest with lasers and lights and sights and multiple mags etc etc but avoidance is the easiest way.You walked right into something you knew was not right--nough said.

Was there something that changed your thinking?
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

You never really know 'til you're in this situation, but I'd be inclined to say I'd pull a Hazelwood. Very recently here in Hazelwood, Missouri a guy tried to rob a CCW carrier in the same fashion, albeit just one guy with a gun. When he handed over the full wallet, he drew his weapon and -- at least reportedly -- told the guy to drop his gun. I would have just started shooting, and that's what I'd be inclined to say I'd do in this case. Give him the wallet, let it distract him, and start unloading. The kid with the knife wouldn't even know what hit him by the time I put two in the gunman and turned around to put more in the knife-wielder.

Saying it turned out OK and therefore this worked out is ex post facto thinking. It could very well have turned out differently -- as it often does -- and we'd be saying, "Well, if only he/she had carried.."

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey Bubbie: The answer to your question as to why, after 66 years of never even havng touched a firearm is simple. This country is turning into a cesspool led by the biggest idiot we have ever had in office, a bunch of little idiots that surround him, and a swarm of illegal garbage who believe they have a right to my country. I see germany in the 30s as clear as day. I see complete government takeover and the crowning of our first dictator. I see a fascist state. I see people on this forum being labeled terrorists and anti-government. I see the suspension of liberties. I hope I am wrong but I intend to be prepared if I am right. I will not lay down and be a sheep like some of my distant relatives did in germany, thinking that because they are german, no one will bother them. This country is getting dangerous and I will protect myself and my family.

I think this would be a situation where a j frame or lcr in the pocket would have the advantage over a drawn gun. you dont even have to draw. on the other hand you could draw an lcp out of your pocket and in poor lighting might not look like anything other than your wallet.

I also think that if you had to draw a laser sight would be very useful in making sure you're on target wiithout getting a good sight pic.

But im just a novice at thinking about these types of things.

frankly I dont know what id do in this case. if I wasnt packing I would probably turn and burn. we all know how hard it is to hit a paper target at 25 feet, let alone a moving one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    If more people refuse to be victims under any circumstance, then we might just be able to stem the tide of wannabe hardened criminals while they are in the apprenticeship program.
    EXACTLY Evil is never defeated by submitting to it.

For the OP, I personally do not allow some dirt bags to dictate what route I take home. It is one of the reasons I carry to go where ever I have business when ever I please. That said as others have said you blew it when you failed to listen to your gut. As soon as my alarm went off the gun is in my hand inside of a pocket or otherwise concealed. I'd move to the outer edge of the sidewalk watching the shadows, as soon as anyone tried stepping behind me is when the confrontation would have start. At the sight of a gun or knife I'd stop the threat. As a last resort I do not carry cash in my wallet I use a Boker SubCom as a money clip to drop their guts on the ground as I hand them my cash.
    As others have said a bigger dog even an decent sized ankle biter would be an improvement
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links