Robbed at Gun and Knife Point - What Would You Have Done?

Robbed at Gun and Knife Point - What Would You Have Done?

This is a discussion on Robbed at Gun and Knife Point - What Would You Have Done? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; this is a true story and i keep replaying it in my head and wondering what would of happened differently, if anything, had i already ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 64

Thread: Robbed at Gun and Knife Point - What Would You Have Done?

  1. #1
    Member Array spar10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    86

    Robbed at Gun and Knife Point - What Would You Have Done?

    this is a true story and i keep replaying it in my head and wondering what would of happened differently, if anything, had i already had my ccw and had been carrying.

    i was walking my (really small) dog around 11pm on a winter night. i was one block from my house and as i approached the final cross street before walking onto my block, i could see two people standing on the corner. it didn't seem right so i know i've already screwed up by continuing to walk toward them instead of turning around and going down a different route to my house.

    as i approached the two people i could see they were probably teenagers. as i got close to them, one of the kids pulled a gun in front of me and the other kid pulled a knife (a steak knife of all things) and stood behind me. i still had my small dog on the leash. i was pretty nervous but not anywhere near as scared as i thought i would be or probably should have been in this scenario.

    they told me to give them all of my money so i reached into my back pocket, pulled my wallet out and gave them what little was in there. once they had the money, they told me to keep moving and don't look back, which is exactly what i did.

    about 50 feet away i reached into my coat pocket and called 911 from my cellphone. i'll cut out the rest of the story and skip to the ending. the little douche bags were caught and arrested. one of the punks was 15 and went to juvi for 3 years, his douche bag buddy with the gun went down for 7 years and the two little ****heads in the getaway car that i never saw got off with a slap on the wrist. go figure.

    so my question is.... if i'd been carrying should i have shot both of them and been done with it? as it turns out, i'm fine and my only trauma is really wondering what, if anything, i would or should have done differently had i been carrying.


  2. #2
    Member Array Airman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    22
    With two armed guys standing behind you... drawing and getting off an immobilizing shot before the guy with the gun could shoot would have been tough.

    Best thing to do.. even if you are carrying.. avoid situations like that. Your gut told you they looked like trouble and it was right.

    I'm glad you made it out okay!
    Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
    And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."

  3. #3
    Member Array crf3973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    oregon
    Posts
    246
    It depends on when the time for me to go through that actually happens.

    Had I been carrying iwb at 4 o'clock, like normally.. I would have gone for it as they would think I was going for my wallet. I would take the gunman out first.

    I intend to put up a fight for my life, and will definitley not negotiate with a stranger for it.

    If I were smart carying, it would definitley be harder as it takes 2 hands to draw and a leash is in one.

    Glad it worked out for you.

  4. #4
    Member Array Sledzep01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    158
    11PM?
    Winter?
    My weak hand has the leash and my pistol is in my strong hand in my jacket/coat pocket.
    See the gun pointed at me, fire. spin quickly to see how badly the boy behind me has sh@t himself. Still a threat? shoot again.

    Sled

  5. #5
    Member Array Flyboy400's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Slovakia
    Posts
    16
    There was a bit of luck ( not with getting robbed) there in so far as they didn't end up using violence against you. Also they were caught which is fairly unusual as most situations like this they will have legged it far away.

    Maybe there was not an opportunity to draw at the time but once you were let go possibly you draw and tell them to hit the dirt until the law comes. Of course they might just run and then you wouldn't shoot as they are not posing a threat at that moment. Good they got caught. How long before they did hurt someone.

  6. #6
    VIP Member Array goldshellback's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    OKC; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    Posts
    4,750
    Your 'gut' and SA were right, avoidence was, and is, the best option.

    You were lucky. Considering you two 'bags' got the drop on you drawing and engaging them would've been tricky at best. Although you still had suprise on your side, dropping your cash and crawfishing worked for you. I wouldn't trust a stranger with a firearm trained on me not to shoot.

    What happened afterwards seemed to me had a happier ending than the alternative. Your not living with the 'aftermath' of having used deadly force on your 'bags' and those two were caught and suffered for it.

    BUT......you can NOT trust 'them' to not shoot you. ALWAYS be ready to fight for your life and when your 'gut' starts screaming at you, listen up.

    Glad it ended OK for you though.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

    (Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

  7. #7
    VIP Member Array First Sgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Florence, SC
    Posts
    7,967
    Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    Your 'gut' and SA were right, avoidence was, and is, the best option.

    You were lucky. Considering you two 'bags' got the drop on you drawing and engaging them would've been tricky at best. Although you still had suprise on your side, dropping your cash and crawfishing worked for you. I wouldn't trust a stranger with a firearm trained on me not to shoot.

    What happened afterwards seemed to me had a happier ending than the alternative. Your not living with the 'aftermath' of having used deadly force on your 'bags' and those two were caught and suffered for it.

    BUT......you can NOT trust 'them' to not shoot you. ALWAYS be ready to fight for your life and when your 'gut' starts screaming at you, listen up.

    Glad it ended OK for you though.
    +1 That kinda sez it all!!!
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

  8. #8
    Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    englewood, fl
    Posts
    1,751
    nothing to second guess here...it all worked out better than it would have if you had been armed...

    flame away...another case where compliance allowed a non violent result and arrests...but we know that doesnt happen...

    being armed may have changed the entire dynamic...you might have been able to get a drop on them going for your wallet had you been a good draw and accurate close quarters shooter under pressure...or you may have taken one down and dealt with the sharp end of the knife and been in a real battle for your life...and then dealt with the aftermath with the shooting of a 15 year old "who was a nice kid and wouldnt hurt anyone"....or you might have been run down by a getaway vehicle trying to save or avenge the friends you just gunned down...

    to many questions and not enough answers...couldve played out many different ways...great job keeping your head about you and getting away safely...you involved law enforcement and they did their job...other than not listening to your gut everything went as well as it could have...

    glad youre able to tell the story...

  9. #9
    Member Array spar10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    86
    yes - i guess it's true - in the end it all worked out.

    had i drawn - would this have been a legitimate shoot/kill scenario for me? is it a legitimate use of the weapon to use it to get them down on the ground and hold them until l.e. could arrive? just seems like that scenario could get real ugly really fast if the buddies in the car decided to be brave.

    in the end, it's a great real life lesson because nobody got hurt. the most important lesson might be to always follow your gut!

  10. #10
    VIP Member Array dukalmighty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    15,179
    Quote Originally Posted by spar10 View Post
    yes - i guess it's true - in the end it all worked out.

    had i drawn - would this have been a legitimate shoot/kill scenario for me? is it a legitimate use of the weapon to use it to get them down on the ground and hold them until l.e. could arrive? just seems like that scenario could get real ugly really fast if the buddies in the car decided to be brave.

    in the end, it's a great real life lesson because nobody got hurt. the most important lesson might be to always follow your gut!
    You have a gun drawn on you and your thinking about drawing and ordering them to drop their weapons
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

  11. #11
    Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    englewood, fl
    Posts
    1,751
    if you draw on a drawn gun you better hope youre the first one on the trigger or youre gonna have more to worry about than whats in your wallet...there is no time for warnings or demands...you are involved in a life or death situation and you need to be the one making that decision...not someone else...both assailants are instant targets and must be stopped...the gun is an immediate threat and the knife is close enough to reach you before you stop the first....

    you dont think...you act....

  12. #12
    Member Array puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Kent, WA
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    nothing to second guess here...it all worked out better than it would have if you had been armed...

    flame away...another case where compliance allowed a non violent result and arrests...but we know that doesnt happen...

    being armed may have changed the entire dynamic...you might have been able to get a drop on them going for your wallet had you been a good draw and accurate close quarters shooter under pressure...or you may have taken one down and dealt with the sharp end of the knife and been in a real battle for your life...and then dealt with the aftermath with the shooting of a 15 year old "who was a nice kid and wouldnt hurt anyone"....or you might have been run down by a getaway vehicle trying to save or avenge the friends you just gunned down...

    to many questions and not enough answers...couldve played out many different ways...great job keeping your head about you and getting away safely...you involved law enforcement and they did their job...other than not listening to your gut everything went as well as it could have...

    glad youre able to tell the story...
    IMHO = DITTO!!

    Puffer

  13. #13
    Member Array spar10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    You have a gun drawn on you and your thinking about drawing and ordering them to drop their weapons
    yes, of course you're absolutely right!!

    i forgot to bring up a really important fact that i didn't learn until after they had the punks in custody. i was waiting to put it out here as a punch line of sorts. the gun he pulled on me was a broken starters pistol.

  14. #14
    VIP Member Array ctsketch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,319
    But the knife was real

  15. #15
    Member Array bomber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ft. Myers, Florida
    Posts
    154

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Video: Canada: Robbery and Clerk at Knife Point
    By nutz4utwo in forum Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: August 17th, 2010, 03:23 PM
  2. Oh Crap it happened.. OCer Robbed And Disarmed At Gun Point!
    By RXtion in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 99
    Last Post: June 21st, 2010, 11:49 AM
  3. Santa Cruz pizza delivery man held up at knife-point; suspect was injured at shooting
    By cbp210 in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: November 18th, 2009, 10:53 AM
  4. Loved One at Knife Point.
    By MRPOWER in forum Carry & Defensive Scenarios
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: December 12th, 2008, 03:38 AM
  5. Knife point styles
    By scratchy wilson in forum Defensive Knives & Other Weapons
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: March 27th, 2005, 08:29 PM

Search tags for this page

gun already drawn against knife
,

gun already drawn on you

,
whats scarrier to get robed at gun point or with knife
,
woman held in knifepoint corpus christi 2009
Click on a term to search for related topics.