I don't need self defense...."I HAVE A GUN"

This is a discussion on I don't need self defense...."I HAVE A GUN" within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You will need to learn to take people o the level they are on, or you will always be frustrated, and eventually go crazy. What ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't need self defense...."I HAVE A GUN"

You will need to learn to take people o the level they are on, or you will always be frustrated, and eventually go crazy. What I mean is that when you deal with people from all walks of life and ideology, you will encounter people that you will not be able to help, so you just have to let it go.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by AllAbtSlfDef View Post

MN2GO- If I told you that was for nothing I would be an idiot. I feel wholeheartedly that having a firearm and knowing how to use it, but I also believe that people need other options. SA and avoidance are good ideas but sometimes we are put in situations where even though we are observant or aware of our surroundings, we can be targets. As mentioned, a bank or checkout line, or how about walking out of the store and on the phone. There are plenty of opportunities. I'm glad she has devoted the time to not being a victim, way to go.

People mention SA, how about someone coming up behind you or a suprise attack, it takes much longer to draw and shoot when startled than it does to engage your attacker long enough to create distance and survival gap. SD is a tool in the box.

The walking stick and cane are ideal. So many options.

I have not sought out courses to help me with my instruction, thus far I have a pretty good track record with teaching people.

Jason
    AllAbtSlfDef, thank you for your thorough answer.

In a perfect world it would be nice to know and master everything from all martial arts to handguns to what-ever the Crocodile Dundee does. It's not feasible.

When I explained my wife today during our walk with the dogs what you had suggested, her immediate response - and she is very shy and never swears - was "Bravo Sierra."

She has spent the last three years learning the gun approaching the mature age of a woman.

Several months ago she was forced to make the immediate decision to carry a firearm for her protection. Within hours of the threat entering her innocent life, she was applying an emergency carry permit at the local sheriff's office while I was talking to the local cops and the FBI.

That task she is taking extremely seriously with due dedication refusing to be the victim.

I've been a firearms instructor and competitive shooter over twenty years, and I can objectively announce that she has been one of my most dedicated student in a mission of impossible odds.

She told me that there is no way in he-l she could find the time to master any martial arts beyond the few moves I taught her and were taught by a friendly KM instructor and my LEO son.

She does not talk on the cell in an insecure location, nor does she walk in or out of a bank/establishment without being ready to shoot it out. She avoids places that expose her to victim-hood. She made the decision to restrict her life due to circumstances life threw at her.

All she's got is her SA, training, brain, dedication, guns, will to survive, and the guidance of a higher power.

I doubt she'll let anyone too close to her. Is it going to be enough? Only time will tell.

Thank you for your kind words and dedication to your students.

I have not sought out courses to help me with my instruction, thus far I have a pretty good track record with teaching people. Not saying I wouldn't be interested, please PM me with links to where I can find it.
    I wish I had a pocket resource at hand. Unfortunately, the state of education is so transient and awful that I am unaware of one reliable and succinct source for this. The best I can do is peripheral sources involving education of the handicapped, and a book called "How to talk so kids will listen" by Adele Faber. It doesn't help that I'm locked behind the DoD filter of doom and few of my normal resources will come up on a search.

I am 6'2" 320,
    How aware are you of how this impacts your smaller, female students? Not picking, but having a smaller, possibly female co-instructor helping you might help in things like this. You SAY you're good at teaching, but the vibe I'm getting from your initial posts doesn't tell me that at all.

My gut feeling is that you need an Cybil. Cybil is an extremely assertive female friend who tends to disagree with me on lots of things. She is very apt to point out where she thinks I'm wrong. I value the fact that she does this, as it often provides me with grist for the mill and makes me a better trainer/person.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    You will need to learn to take people o the level they are on, or you will always be frustrated, and eventually go crazy. What I mean is that when you deal with people from all walks of life and ideology, you will encounter people that you will not be able to help, so you just have to let it go.
    Lots of wisdom in this. "Letting go" can be the first step in assisting someone on the path to wisdom as well.

How aware are you of how this impacts your smaller, female students? Not picking, but having a smaller, possibly female co-instructor helping you might help in things like this. You SAY you're good at teaching, but the vibe I'm getting from your initial posts doesn't tell me that at all.
    very true, two of our instructors are small 2nd degree black belt females, and most of our female newbies feel much more comfortable and they also get the idea of "If they can do it of course I can!"
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    very true, two of our instructors are small 2nd degree black belt females, and most of our female newbies feel much more comfortable and they also get the idea of "If they can do it of course I can!"
    My wife and I (both 3rd degree black belts, due very soon to test for 4th degree) teach together, for almost 2 decades. And we've become skilled at passing certain types of students off to each other to handle, as each situation comes up.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

Not tryin to be funny here, or hijack the thread, but I heard something awhile. back that I have applied to my traing and instruction, and it came out of one of the slowest mental states in the fighting world. As a matter of fact, it may be the most intelligent words to ever come out of his mouth, then or in the future. Anyway, think about this, and it will give you ideas to apply to your approach to teaching. Mike Tyson said"no matter the training, or what they think, everybody got a plan till they get hit in the mouth". Wow, so true!

VIP Member

+1 glockman10mm wise words indeed

you will encounter people that you will not be able to help, so you just have to let it go.
    This is true of absolutely everything in life.

I actually have a female in the class who is a student of ours. She is much smaller, and about 20 years older than I. I asked her opinion of the situation and she said she thought I addressed the situation ok. But I would love to have the help of a woman in all my classes. My wife helps out on occasion but doesn't have enough training to do it full time.

The defense we are teaching is aikido based. With out getting too much into that, its passive movements, cirularity, and center. I teach aikido on a regular basis, I am very much in touch with my gentle side. I understand that when we get to a certain point in training(in anything) that we forget what it was to be a beginner. I will handle the situations that arise in a much more "outsider looking in" manner from now on.

Jason

PS- I found out that this woman has only fired a gun 1 time in the past. She could possibly be very much a danger to herself.
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

Not tryin to be funny here, or hijack the thread, but I heard something awhile. back that I have applied to my traing and instruction, and it came out of one of the slowest mental states in the fighting world. As a matter of fact, it may be the most intelligent words to ever come out of his mouth, then or in the future. Anyway, think about this, and it will give you ideas to apply to your approach to teaching. Mike Tyson said"no matter the training, or what they think, everybody got a plan till they get hit in the mouth". Wow, so true!
    I especially like a backhand or palm heel to the nose...to get em off balance
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I actually have a female in the class who is a student of ours. She is much smaller, and about 20 years older than I. I asked her opinion of the situation and she said she thought I addressed the situation ok. But I would love to have the help of a woman in all my classes. My wife helps out on occasion but doesn't have enough training to do it full time.

The defense we are teaching is aikido based. With out getting too much into that, its passive movements, cirularity, and center. I teach aikido on a regular basis, I am very much in touch with my gentle side. I understand that when we get to a certain point in training(in anything) that we forget what it was to be a beginner. I will handle the situations that arise in a much more "outsider looking in" manner from now on.

Jason

PS- I found out that this woman has only fired a gun 1 time in the past. She could possibly be very much a danger to herself.
    I was trying as hard as I could to offer perspective without busting on you. Glad you were able to pick through my suggestions and take something from it.

Personally, I'm a so-so teacher, but a good training developer. Different strokes, you know.

I'm just now training to be an instructor :/ hopefully in a year or so i'll have my license....
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Interesting thread...

I've been studying martial arts for most of my life, mainly for recreation, and the mental benefits that I, personally have gained (I was a bit of an unruly kid).

While I agree that being trained does not guarantee your safety, or make you an instant tough guy, there are certainly things to be considered:

1. While we are constantly trying to remind everyone about the fact the "guns don't kill people, people kill people" we need to also remind ourselves that "guns don't defend us...WE defend us". Anything we can do to improve our abilities with or without the firearm should at least be looked at and explored.

2. We tend to focus too much on the weapons that we have rather than the weapons that we are. I tend to take a holistic approach to self defense. It's not just the gun, it's not just the h2h, it's being adaptable and proficient, while understanding that these situations happen faster than you can blink/think.

My primary weapon system is my mind. Everything else, including the gun or my training is a secondary weapon system to be deployed only if the primary fails to avoid the situation.

While I do understand the sense of security having a firearm provides, we need to follow our own words in that the gun doesn't keep me alive or safe. I do.

Kyodai from Colorado.
    Last edited by Kyodai; May 17th, 2010 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Clarity

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I don't understand why this woman was taking the course if she was so afraid of being "handled." What does she think a BG is going to do, stand 10 ft away and demand her purse?
    Knock her on her butt and take her purse (and gun) most likely.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I'm not versed on what is required in PA to get a carry permit but it sounds like she hasn't had much training in situational awareness and avoidance techniques either. It sounds like she figured out her self-defense plan all by herself. I guess my first question is why is she taking a H2H SD class if she won't do the exercises? Instead of wasting class time on her ask her to stay after to discuss it. If she still doesn't "get it", send her on her way.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Since the dojo I go to is part of a university, we offer it as a 1 credit course as well. We have the issue of many people taking it just for the credit and not taking the class seriously. is is actually a VERY demanding class and probably not the easiest choice for 1 credit, haha.

The people doing it as a club drop out if they can't hack it and the people who take it as a credit and can't hack it suffer through it and do the minimum. We kick some of them out if they are so lackadaisical they are in danger of harming others or themselves,
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links