Daughter in distress - Page 2

Daughter in distress

This is a discussion on Daughter in distress within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Pointing a gun at some guy that doesn't know you will, and should, get an aggressive response. Like running you over. Your daughter is in ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Daughter in distress

Pointing a gun at some guy that doesn't know you will, and should, get an aggressive response. Like running you over. Your daughter is in the car with a friend and just found out her MOTHER was in a car crash, and she is headed to the hospital.

The guy now guns the truck at you, and you fire. Being untrained in confrontational situations, your adrenalin pumping, you jump and fall to avoid the truck, while emptying your 45 cal Kimber Ultra Carry at him. Unfortunately, not being trained under high duress situations, your aim is a little off, striking the your daughter in the front seat.

Only after the police come do you discover that your cell phone battery crapped out, and your daughter's Mother and your daughter had both been trying to contact you about the crash. Failing to get you, she called her best friend, who was at the mall. Her boyfriend was near by, and offered to take your daughter to the hospital to be with her Mother. Oh, the sirens....yeah, ambulances at the wreck her Mother was in. :(

You are now under arrest for assault, stupidity and murder. Of your own daughter.

Wise choice?

This scenario is equally plausible as the one you described with some gun toting maniac kidnapping your daughter.

Attempt to flag them down, as others have said.

Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    I'm thinking this may be the last time I see her alive. So I'm pulling out all the stops and let the chips fall as they may.

Before the light turns, I'm off the bike standing by drivers side front wheel with weapon pointed at driver through windshield, loudly commanding him to "HALT".

Hopefully the daughter will be helpful and chime in at this point with "Help" or "Dad NO".

If he is a GG his response will be to surrender, if I need a lawyer at this junction so be it. No regrets.

If he's a BG he's most likely armed. If not armed, crime spree over.

a) He tries to move the pick-up, shoot to disable the truck.
    You would have to be an excellent shot to hope to do this. You aren't that good - your stress level is WAY up.

b) He points his gun at me through the glass, I fire while advancing to the drivers side window pinning below the dash and continue to fire through the now broken window until the threat is stopped.

c)He points the gun at my daughter, I duck out of his line of sight, shoot the front tires out wait for a good shot or the police.
    Shooting out tires is MUCH more difficult than the average cop can do. Let alone the average citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveJay View Post
    +1

Too many variables and unknowns...
    Ditto .....good responses.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    Good point Biker, a GG with gun trying to help would be an issue, even in a near by vehicle. Hopefully the daughter would say something to defuse the situation. I do know one of the laws of gun fighting is you can't out draw a drawn gun, so communication is key here for survival.

In this scenario what would you do? Trying to psycho-analyze the motives behind the hypothetical bike ride I have to say is not helpful.
    LOL I don't think that was Bikers point. His point was, if someone points a gun at him(being a GG himself), he's not going to surrender as you assume. It has nothing to do with other GG's in the area carrying guns.

If someone points a gun at me, why the hell would I surrender? If I can I'm going to put the pedal to the floor and get out of there.

How old is your daughter??? Cause it sounds to me that you'd be way over protective, especially if she wants to go to her boyfriends place on her own, that and you have no clue as to what the police sirens are for. On top of that she could be getting a lift from a co-worker or even her new boyfriend.

From the POV of the so called stranger driving your daughter if you pulled a gun on me I guarantee she will end worrying if her dad could ever be trusted with a gun again! That and what if I shot you not knowing why you approached me on a bicycle and pointed your gun at me

Truth is, you sound trigger happy in this post and really ought to reconsider your rationale... before you shoot someone wrongfully or get shot yourself.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    ACT 235 Certified #45700

Try to get up to the truck where you can assess the situation. Call out to your daughter and see how she responds. Is she scared?? Is she looking for you?? How is the driver reacting to your call to your daughter. I know this is a lot to do in 15 seconds but your childs life might be at stake. Don't draw until you know there is a threat. Get your cell phone out and fired up also if you can.

Shooting a moving vehicle with a family member in it isn't gonna be a good start. Pulling a gun has a power of suggestion that might get a reaction ie they stop but actually shooting is a non starter in this one. You have no solid evidence to justify using lethal force and even if you did the shot would be too risky. Try a bluff stop with your gun, and try and mentally gather as much info to pass to the cops. Then 911. Sirens are close so hope for the best.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    wow...gung ho cowboy stuff...somebody is gonna die and nobody really knows why...

if you have the opportunity to catch the truck at the light a tap on the back and a quick question as to whether your daughte ris ok should be enough to assess...drawing and firing into a passenger compartment occupied by your daughter isnt gonna be a smart thing to do...you dont know where the glass or richochette is heading and i'm guessing you dont want to be the one respnsible for your daughter being shot or injured by the shot...

by making your approach from behind the driver you are protected from an aggressive move on his part as he is going to have to exit the vehicle to get at you if he wants to....if he launches away youve got some phone calls to make and should have a damned good description of the vehicle and him by then...

firing at a moving or stationary vehicle is risky for everyone involved and possible onlookers...

we all want to be heroes and when family is involved it make it that much more intense...but reality has to be a part of the solution...this isnt tv...

being there and in the situation might open up some other options...but as its written there isnt a lot you can do...

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I'm thinking this may be the last time I see her alive. So I'm pulling out all the stops and let the chips fall as they may.

Before the light turns, I'm off the bike standing by drivers side front wheel with weapon pointed at driver through windshield, loudly commanding him to "HALT".

At this point, you, sir, have committed the offense of assault with a deadly weapon. You have now idea of what situation your daughter is in and have reacted badly. No weapon (other than yours) has been exhibited, no obvious threat to life. You'd better pray she is in danger or you may spend time in jail.

Having a CC license does not make you an LEO.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Do any of the posters here really think that real like scenarios are cut and dry?

Each time we are involved in one, there are many many possible reasons for the "daughter" to be with the "stranger". While we can all postulate on this "hypothetical", in real life they are all very complicated situations.

I am all for preparing ahead of time, but it is very difficult to keep a parent's emotional response out of the equation.

Clearly the only defense against this scenario is the way you have brought up your daughter. If you and she have a bond, and you have trained her in SA, you will have fewer reasons for "bad scenarios".

I will say, this post had me thinking hard.

Capt. Art

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    It's definitely a think hard one and it sure had me thinking hard and looking at all the responses also, seeing if there were others avenues to take other then the emotional Dad one. That's why it's a ask first and be prepared for the answer or response that might come, then take action.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    In any and all of these scenerios, if you ain't there, it ain't fair.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    If as in the scenario that I am 14s away and the light will turn green in 15s. I'd be in the back of the truck with my bike laying in the middle of the road. They aren't leaving without me. At this point I could determine the true situation and not worry about my daughter becoming a statistic if it truly is a kidnapping. At the very least, my daughter could get away while he's trying to take care of me.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    If this is a real issue, either you need to lighten up or you and your wife need to educate your daughter about the fact that when she leaves the house to go to work, that is the only place she is going to go; and if she goes elsewhere for any reason whatsoever she must phone you. That, keeping you informed is her obligation, and your knowing is your obligation as a parent.

Now, since she is working, I will assume she is 16 or over. Bad news dad, somewhere in the next 18 months +/-1 you will have no say.

So, you and mom need to work on teaching personal safety, teaching issues revolving around the selection of boy-friends, and issues revolving around staying safe while dating.

As far as the scenario goes, you can't catch a car on a bike. Grab a number off the license, a description of the car, place a phone call to your daughter's cell and see if she answers or not. If not, as an abundance of caution, 911 it. Or, maybe, pedal like crazy to her work place before placing the 911 call. 'Cause, chances are she wasn't kidnapped and just bugged out of work. In which case, you have an irresponsible daughter and you and your wife need to work on that issue quickly.

"Kids are a life sentence."
    Pretty sound advice as far as I can see.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

It is interesting to see that most would assume the stranger in this hypothetical scenario is a friendly and not be willing to do what it takes to stop the pick-up. Also that you're in an area with cell service and the approaching LEO's will help you in a timely manner. I don't know whats worse finding your daughters dead body or never seeing her again. Knowing you had a one second chance to possibly save her and all you did was get a description and called 911. As a Dad and former Marine I pull out all the stops, that truck is not leaving with my daughter!!!

So call me a lawyer.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    If as in the scenario that I am 14s away and the light will turn green in 15s. I'd be in the back of the truck with my bike laying in the middle of the road. They aren't leaving without me. At this point I could determine the true situation and not worry about my daughter becoming a statistic if it truly is a kidnapping. At the very least, my daughter could get away while he's trying to take care of me.
    #1, you wanna see a grown man fly? I'm very protective of me and mine. I have a God given "S" on my chest when it comes to my family. The wife has her's too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links