Shoplifting at Walmart

This is a discussion on Shoplifting at Walmart within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sorry, I was using info I heard on the news a few weeks ago. I guess you just can't trust that news media. Then again, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shoplifting at Walmart

Sorry, I was using info I heard on the news a few weeks ago. I guess you just can't trust that news media. Then again, we probably should take what we see on the WWW with a few grains of salt also!
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by rwmorrisonjr
    Actually, the amount is $25 and under based on official internal documents.
    $25?! All the better. Wally World here I come!

I guess they went from $10 to $25 due to price increases.

Seriuosly looks like a bunch of stuff in the store went up in cost today vs. the last time I was in there.

Ok, let's say someone goes to Walmart every day and walks out with $25 worth of stuff. That would be like having $9,125 per year of untaxed income. I would think that the IRS, would be steaming over this.

Lead Moderator
    Seems foolish to 1. make this policy 2. let the public know this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by HighVelocity
    I was waiting in line at Walmart. The lady in front of me wrote a check for her purchase. When the clerk handed her the receipt, she also handed her the check back.
    I had this happen to me, what happend was a machine converted it to an electronic check, so there was no need for them to keep a copy. Makes it real hard to write that check the day before payday.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Maybe the clerk didn't see the item even though they are trained to check, and then was afraid to admit that mistake, or (more likely IMO) the clerk was part of the theft. I would report the shoplifting to a manager if no one else seemed to care. We all pay for this theft in increased prices of the stuff we pay for.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NFEDERIC View Post
    I work in a bank that is located inside a Walmart and I see this daily. I just caually locate the closest customer service manager and inform them of the situation, they take over at that point and I am never brought into it.

Clearly, sticking one's nose into the business that transpired between the couple and Walmart is not wise, because it has the potential to set the person or persons on the defensive, and cause not just a scene but possibly an altercation.

WALMART is responsible for combating shoplifting in their stores -- NOT YOU. If Walmart falls down on the job, Walmart loses its money.

If you step in as the unpaid Walmart-police, AND you are armed, you may well find yourself in a situation in which you cannot avoid violence from the person you went out of your way to make irate. And why? To save WALMART about $5?! That's a ludicrous plan, with a cost-benefit ratio that makes no sense. What does it help YOU to insert yourself into this guy's business? Even if you help Walmart catch him for the miss, how does it help you? Is there a reward that I don't know about?

Do you want the guy arrested for shoplifting? REALLY? Because even though he and she didn't INTEND to steal the detergent, but the incompetent CLERK failed to scan it?! I hardly think it's worth getting the guy in potential legal trouble. He's probably just annoyed with the constant low level of job performance by Walmart employees -- aren't we all?

(In my local Walmart, the ATM/Credit card swipe keypad started asking "Did your cashier greet you today?" In most cases, I had to push the "NO" button. It took a few weeks and now the machines don't even ASK anymore. )

Maybe the guy had somewhere he had to be, and the time it would have taken to notify the Walmart employee of his screwup and go through the paying process again was more than he wanted to or was able to spare. It was Walmart's fault (through its agent) that the product was missed. It would weigh heavily on my conscience if I caused this guy to get arrested for a shoplifting crime he did not set out intent on committing, just because I butted into someone else's business.

I'm Not A Cop...

It's none of my business...

Actually, by the time you seek out the manager...the thief is probably gone anyway.

It's not worth the time or the grief you might set up for yourself!

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

What is that saying, something about "for good men to do nothing"?

All I have to say in the matter.
    When you are truly transformed into a warrior and have truly invested yourself into warriorhood, you want to be there. You want to be able to make a difference.
    From the essay "TRIBES" by Bill Whittle

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    This is just my perspect, what I would/have done, I have pulled aside a store employee that isn't in the line of site of a bad guy. I'm not going to intervene beyond that point, but I see it as being a good citizen (again that's just my view, don't expect anyone else to see it my way)
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Here are some facts about the large retailers to take into account:

1. The largest percentage of inventory lost in a retail box is due to employee paper errors in 2 areas: Recieving. Cashier. In your case it was a cashier area. Most retail stores have consitent training, monitoring, testing, etc. endless cycle to combat the cashier end. This accounts for about 95% of inventory lost in a large retail box.

2. Next is employee theft or employee assisted theft. High Velocity's story is an example of employee assisted theft.

3. Sitting in very last place of significant inventory loss is external theft.

4. A typical retail box may be subjected up to a 3% inventory loss annually, but the normal and usual goal is less than 1%. Retail stores plan on this in their sales budgets and save accordingly. For example if a store has a typical annual inventory loss of 1%, then 1 penny out of every dollar of sales will be set aside into a slush fund for this purpose. If after the year last inventory count, any of this money is left over then it goes into bottom line and the management bonus structure.

5. Consider a store that does 30 million dollars anually. They have built into their sales a 300,000 dollar slush fund. That is a lot of boxes of soap they have allready planned to lose. And on top of that they are still averaging around 20 cents on the dollar or more in profit.

6. Compare the cost of trying to prosecute every single external theft. Lets give it the full 5% compared to the rest of the losses. They are trying to prosecute theft of only about $15,000 in inventory. That does not even pay for a full time employee.

7. Now do the math of trying to protect only $15,000 in inventory vs. 1 successful lawsuit for false prosecution, injury, or wrongful death. Lets face it, the courts have said the BG have rights. The $15,000 is a very acceptable trade off in the eyes of a larger retail box.

Let the box of soap go. Its not worth it.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

What I can not believe is how many people in here think it is ok to steal....If they knew it was not paid for it is stealing....This is still a crime.....Yes, I agree the cashier should have caught it. But at the same time, all the people in this thread who think it was ok should remember that all has to do with the prices you pay...I work in retail, I have inventory in my store every 12 weeks. On average my store is short any where from 25,000 to 50,000 dollars every inventory. most of this loss is caused by the 5.00 items people forget to pay for.
    If you think stores eat these losses think again. You the customer has to pay for this.
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

VIP Member
    What I find funny about Wal-mart's theft control is, at our store it seems to be up to the little old lady that is the greeter. Every time that my wife puts the receipt in her wallet and the wallet in her purse and tries to exit the store a few steps ahead of me pushing out the cart, this same lady wants to inspect the cart against the receipt. Whenever the wife keeps the receipt in her hand that same little old lady ignores us when we leave.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Do you want the guy arrested for shoplifting? REALLY? Because even though he and she didn't INTEND to steal the detergent, but the incompetent CLERK failed to scan it?! I hardly think it's worth getting the guy in potential legal trouble. He's probably just annoyed with the constant low level of job performance by Walmart employees -- aren't we all?

Maybe the guy had somewhere he had to be, and the time it would have taken to notify the Walmart employee of his screwup and go through the paying process again was more than he wanted to or was able to spare. It was Walmart's fault (through its agent) that the product was missed. It would weigh heavily on my conscience if I caused this guy to get arrested for a shoplifting crime he did not set out intent on committing, just because I butted into someone else's business.
    "The guy finished paying and the woman quietly said to him that they had forgotten to pay for a large container of laundry detergent that was still in their cart. The guy just motioned for her to be quiet and they walked out of the store with both their paid groceries and the unpaid item."

Clearly the guy knew he was stealing the item.

Whether the person is stealing from walmart, or your car stereo, or maybe even your tv from your home, it is stealing and it is wrong. It would not bother me one bit to have the guy something on his record for his actions. If I caused this guy legal trouble for this, so be it, no different than anyone else breaking the law.

Just because you don't like the store or you think the person behind the counter is not working up to your standards, in no way makes stealing ok.

I guess if I am in a hurry and run your ass off the road and cause you to wreck it is ok, cause I have someplace to be, what the hell huh, its just a little inconvient for you right. I'm sure you would not agree with that would you.

If I am given the wrong change at a store, I correct the clerk, and either give back the extra money or ask for them to give me the correct amount, regardless if it is in my favor or not. What is right is right and what is wrong is wrong, I don't have selective morallity like some in this world.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links