Shoplifting at Walmart - Page 3

Shoplifting at Walmart

This is a discussion on Shoplifting at Walmart within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Actually, it is Walmart's problem, not ours!!! We are not policing anyone with our CCW and we only use our CCW to protect ourselves that's ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shoplifting at Walmart

Walmart!

Actually, it is Walmart's problem, not ours!!! We are not policing anyone with our CCW and we only use our CCW to protect ourselves that's all. It is the cash register person's problem if they don't look everywhere on the cart!

me
    So are we saying because this is Walmarts problem that we will stand there and let it happen? We are still as able to open our mouths and say something to an employee as we were prior to getting our CCWs. What is wrong with me telling an employee what happened. As said earlier, if I wanted to steal from walmart all I would have to do is buy one thing and walk out with 2 or 3 and keep my recipt out, but I don't why because I am a good citizen which is also why we should report things like that.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by produman View Post
    What I can not believe is how many people in here think it is ok to steal....If they knew it was not paid for it is stealing....This is still a crime.....Yes, I agree the cashier should have caught it. But at the same time, all the people in this thread who think it was ok should remember that all has to do with the prices you pay...I work in retail, I have inventory in my store every 12 weeks. On average my store is short any where from 25,000 to 50,000 dollars every inventory. most of this loss is caused by the 5.00 items people forget to pay for.
    If you think stores eat these losses think again. You the customer has to pay for this.
    I doubt that "most" of the store's $50k losses is external theft. Not when I read about employee theft-from-the-company schemes left and right. I just read about one (of course, this one was caught) in which a couple of employees were issuing gift cards to themselves somehow. (Yeah, they're not bright, and were caught, but how many are not?)

The last time something like this happened to me, it was because the cashier at Target did not ring up a $20 item I had in the cart. I started to walk away, and then turned back and said quietly to her that she had failed to ring it up, and then we did another transaction to have me pay for it legitimately. I didn't see any need to alert her manager that she'd missed a $20 item, for that matter.

I am not going to deliberately steal, but I am not going to hold myself responsible for making sure the store's employees don't screw up. If an item rings up for less at the register than it showed on the shelf, I don't care how much it's off by, I'm taking the lower price and saying nothing. That's not stealing, by the way. That's letting their incompetence cost them -- a lot like (although not exactly like) the scenario described in the thread starter.

I sure as hell would not want to put myself in front of the wrath of the typical Walmart shopper as a snitch! Do you think I want to have to pay a lawyer to defend myself for having been forced to shoot him when he got violent with me?!

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    If I am given the wrong change at a store, I correct the clerk, and either give back the extra money or ask for them to give me the correct amount, regardless if it is in my favor or not.
    Hahahaha! Just tonight, I was at Walmart, and I used the self-checkout. For the first time ever, rather than using my card, I paid with cash.

My change was supposed to be $5.37. I got back $5.36. Exactly one penny short.

What did I do?

I told the woman who was there to tend to the (inevitable and frequent) problems that occur at the self-checkout, and I waited while she actually opened a register to get me my penny.

I made light of it, saying, "Look, I know it's just a penny, but accurate is accurate, and the machine messed up. I'd hate to think that Walmart is getting a penny off each customer using the..." and the girl said something to the effect of that they're not doing that. (How would you know that definitively anyway, honey? )

I just thought it was funny. I've read here and there about gas pumps that shave a penny worth of gas from each pumped amount, and if it's a super-pumper station, they can be making quite a haul if they're not caught. Again, who pays?

Quote Originally Posted by bentcursor View Post
    I still feel I should have said something, but I also understand that with the license to carry comes a responsibility to behave responsibly. Since I am armed, I have to look for ways to de-escalate confrontations, not escalate them.
    No such confrontation existed, and your reporting of a crime specifically doesn't "count" as any manner of escalation. Any retribution by the criminal directed at you, however, would be the sort of thing the "escalation" elements would be pertaining to.

I have reported a couple of incidents. They're always very appreciative. Criminals can rot in the hole they've dug for themselves; it's not of your making.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links