Pistol whipped...what do you think?

This is a discussion on Pistol whipped...what do you think? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here is a story that is in our local news. Do you think the man was justified or not? A local liquor store owner, 81 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pistol whipped...what do you think?

Here is a story that is in our local news. Do you think the man was justified or not?

A local liquor store owner, 81 year old man, was getting out of his car to go into his store, when he was jumped by 2 young BG's. The first BG had a pistol and began hitting the man, and trying to go through his pockets. As the second BG was approaching, the store owner managed to grab his gun out of his car. Both BG's turned and ran, the store owner followed them into the street where he shot both BG's. Nobody died and all are expected to recover just fine.

Do you think he was justified? Personally, I feel the imminent threat was over when both BG's ran. However, so far local authorities have not filed any charges against store owner, and say he was justified.

Administrator
    In PA. you could not get away with that.
    But, this guy is 81 years old....what can they do??? Send him to prison for life?
    The B.G.s got what they deserved...a bit of instant justice from a senior citizen.

If they could violently assault an 83 year old person...then they are not human.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm guessing that technically he went a bit beyond what's legal, although I think in some areas you are allowed to shoot at fleeing felons. If being pistol-whipped didn't keep me from thinking clearly, I'd let them go, but can't fault the owner under the circumstances.

Charge him with littering, for not picking up his spent bullets.

VIP Member
    In my state they would considered the threat being over but really I think it would of depended what the ariving LEO would have writen down.
    In my oppinion if he would have unloaded his weapon into them I would of not held him at fault.

thats pretty impresive for such and old man!!! those guys got what was coming to them.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    IMO,no matter how old you are,no matter what the BG's have done,if they clearly attempt to flee and you chase them down or follow them and shoot them you will be charged. However, your age might,just might,keep you outta jail.

Now if you follow them and they turn on you again that would make it a little better for you,but I feel that you'd still have problems in the court system.

Keep in mind,the BG's know exactly how this works. You see the same thing during wartime. They shoot at you for days and when they really feel that they have a chance of getting killed they throw their hands up and you'd better not shoot them. This happens every day in Iraq.

On the streets of our neighborhoods we are/or will be, at war with the BG's. We sure had better abide by the rules of engaugement. ----

Do I applaud what he did, yes. Do I think it was legally justified, no.
    First rule of a gunfight: Carry a gun

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Not enough info , did the bg point pistol back or turn back on the guy ect.. i really cant say from post if a justifiable shoot or not
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkM
    exactly.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Yes, but with reservations regarding what the anti's could do with it...."Poor misguided youth hunted down by pistol-packing vigilante...." or some comparable BS.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

VIP Member
    Another +1
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

VIP Member

Agree 1st part...disagree 2nd part......

Just because the attack stopped, IMO, doesn't mean they are no longer a threat. Maybe not to that elderly gentleman, but they are still a threat to society!.

Change what happened slightly.......let's suppose that the elderly man was KILLED, do you just let the murderers get away? I know if I saw someone get murdered I would pursue the murderer. The miscriants are still a threat to society.

So just because the victim was NOT killed, you don't try to stop them? Now, some will say 'You're not a LEO & have no legal right to go after them.".......maybe so, BUT you have a moral obligation to stop them.

Using the 'once the threat has stopped' mentality will only allow miscriants to escape & continue to prey on the innocent. I think this mentality is a holdover from the anti-gunner attitude of 'Just give them what they want.'

Are there situations that you shouldn't pursue the BG? Yes, yep, you bet......but in this one, I don't see it.....

....remember...'A man should do what he thinks is right.'
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm
    ....remember...'A man should do what he thinks is right.'
    I wholeheartedly agree, but I don't think everyone should do what "they" think is right. There are a lot of warped people out there with their own sense of right/wrong.

I can't say as I disagree with following someone to assist in their apprehension. But to chase them, then shoot them as they are running away is a little much. Now the article (read: media's interpretation) doesn't say if they turned back at him or were shooting at him as they ran, which would obviously change the scenario. My opinion on this incident is strictly based upon the limited details the media felt the need to publish.

Personally, I think they got what they deserved; but I wouldn't have been the one to deliver it in this manner.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    tp bad they bg will recover other than that what do you expect an eighty year old man to do he is a man still but at the mercy of every young tough on the planet heck most young women could man handal him so they pistol whiped a person for the most part is defensless. he got mad and im sure he hates the fact that in his youth he proubably could have kicked both there buts. and chased em in to the street and shot them not enough times in my opinion there going to recover and do it agine id bet

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    I was taught that the shoot is only justified if I was in fear of my life. If the BG's were running away, the shoot wouldn't be justified. If I was the 81 yo and was charged, I'd go for a jury and play on sympathy and I'll bet he'd get a round of applause.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links