Opportunity, Ability and Intent - Page 2

Opportunity, Ability and Intent

This is a discussion on Opportunity, Ability and Intent within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I agree with most of what you said but I wouldn't exactly say jeopardy. When standing sentry watch you have the three rules of Opportunity, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Opportunity, Ability and Intent

Thumbs up RE: Ability, Opportunity, Jeopardy

I agree with most of what you said but I wouldn't exactly say jeopardy. When standing sentry watch you have the three rules of Opportunity, Ability, and Intent, not jeopardy. Jeopardy falls in the category of all three, which means jeopardy is the threat in which all three rules apply. If they were to walk up on you with their hand in their pocket as if they were pulling out a weapon you may draw your weapon because they just displayed rule three "intent", but not fire your weapon until the weapon is in view, then rules 1-2 fall into play. Draw your weapon and order them to stop, and if they do not stop then they become a threat, and you are then authorized to fire that weapon, and contiue to fire (1 to even 15 rounds as one posting stated) if they are still a threat, meaning you caused injury but they are still committed to carrying out the threat and you have to shoot to kill.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Good advice to live by

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Still, I think 15 rounds will certainly raise eyebrows where fewer might not. I don't want any un-necessary eyebrows raised if I'm involved in a defensive shooting.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Still, I think 15 rounds will certainly raise eyebrows where fewer might not. I don't want any un-necessary eyebrows raised if I'm involved in a defensive shooting.
    I agree, but I see no practical solution to that dilemma. You have no control and virtually no influence over the intelligence, knowledge, or attitude of any jurors. The only solution would be to carry a rifle that might guarantee a one-shot stop; or at least a .50 caliber handgun. We all know the practical problems with that approach. So, what we are left with is the necessity: shoot until the threat has stopped. Eyebrows will be raised no matter what. I guarantee it.

Of course you are assuming all 15 rounds hit the bad guy. I have seen many cases of multiple LEOS empty their weapons and in some cases reload and continue to fire but only have 5-7 hits with 30-40 rounds fired. Unfortunately most BG's don't stand still while you shoot at them.

Plus you cannot guarantee where they are hit, 10 hits to non vital areas of a drugged attacker and he may not even realize you hit him.
    Last edited by Doubledown; May 6th, 2012 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Added another thought

1 is 1 and 15 is 1?

A wise (and now deceased, RIP) Vietnam F-4 pilot told me that during a debrief the Intel officer asked him why he felt it was necessary to use all 630 rounds of 20mm to shoot down a single MiG. He said, "That's all I had."

Shooting Reviews

MN2Go, I am just curious, are there no requirements for "Officer Involved Shootings" to go before a "Grand Jury" (or legal equivalent) in MN.?
    I know that in Texas it is legally required for ANY shooting to go before a "Grand Jury" for review to determine if "Charges" are to be brought against the shooter regardless of their position/job. I also know that down here "Officer Involved Incidents" come under much more scrutiny than others and the "grand Jury" is just the beginning of that cycle.
    A Wise Man Changes His Mind, but a Fool Never Does

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links