Grey's Anatomy Finale

This is a discussion on Grey's Anatomy Finale within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Spoiler Alert....If you haven't seen this episode yet, you might want to avoid this post, since certain plot events will be mentioned. For anyone who ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grey's Anatomy Finale

Grey's Anatomy Finale

Spoiler Alert....If you haven't seen this episode yet, you might want to avoid this post, since certain plot events will be mentioned.

For anyone who saw the finale of Grey's anatomy last night...or in my case...was forced to watch it by a wife, then you know it was an interesting episode right up our alley. A husband distraught over losing his wife decides to take out the doctors he deems responsible. Of course, he is armed and no one else is, so he just walks around shooting people at will, but mainly the surgeons and ones involved with his wife's care. As we were watching the show I leaned over to my wife, who knows I carry most of the time and is luke-warm about it, and said "this is why I carry...Evil doesn't make appointments." I think she got the point.

Of course, i had to throw in the sarcastic comment "Doesn't he know that hospitals are gun free zones? What he's doing is illegal!" My wife said (seriously) "He's walking around killing people, I don't think he cares about an anti-gun policy." I looked at her and said "if only more people understood that."

All in all he killed 5 or 6 in the show and shot several others. If someone or several of the people had been carrying perhaps some of those people wouldn't have been shot or died. I prefer the risk of collateral damage to the danger of defenselessness.
    Glock G23
    Kahr P380
    OMC "The Backup" .380

I may die by my own gun, but whoever kills me with it will have to beat me to death with it, cause it will be empty by the time they get it.

2. Remove Ads

Here is how my wife and other antis like her would view that same scenario, and your conversation.

* If guns and ammunition were harder to purchase this guy would have been less able to do this.

* If guns were not 'high capacity' he'd be less able to "blast" people so easily and those around him would have a better chance to leap in and stop him (by hand).

* If registration were required and guns required to be kept at an armory (!) released only for use toward sporting as onsite (at the armory) then this would not be able to occur.

* If ammunition were 'micro-stamped' he would be far less likely to commit a crime like this because it' the same as leaving ones "fingerprint" at the scene of the crime. [Because everyone knows criminals don't leave fingerprints at crime scenes!]

* If guns were highly restricted for use & ownership by civilians, then he'd not have had time and ability to train to become such a good shot...And so efficiently kill people.

* If ammunition were sold to civilians as only rubber bullets rather than metal then he would not be able to kill people with them. [No joke, an adult male person being quite serious once remarked this to me as a 'solution'.]

* If only police and military had guns then there would be no crimes like this...Civilians do not need and cannot be trusted with guns. They are often temperamental, emotional and generally unskilled and untrained as firearm owners.

* If other people had guns to shoot back then farmore people would be hurt and killed as bullets go whizzing by they involved in a 'Dodge City' shoot out in the building akin to the 'OK Corral' or some western bar scene.

Seriously.

As illogical as the above might sound to us, to them this is completely 'common sense' and that our view is equally illogical, stupid and "dangerous".

- Janq carrys into hospitals, where and when lawful
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Here is how my wife and other antis like her would view that same scenario, and your conversation.

* If guns and ammunition were harder to purchase this guy would have been less able to do this.

* If guns were not 'high capacity' he'd be less able to "blast" people so easily and those around him would have a better chance to leap in and stop him (by hand).

* If registration were required and guns required to be kept at an armory (!) released only for use toward sporting as onsite (at the armory) then this would not be able to occur.

* If ammunition were 'micro-stamped' he would be far less likely to commit a crime like this because it' the same as leaving ones "fingerprint" at the scene of the crime. [Because everyone knows criminals don't leave fingerprints at crime scenes!]

* If guns were highly restricted for use & ownership by civilians, then he'd not have had time and ability to train to become such a good shot...And so efficiently kill people.

* If ammunition were sold to civilians as only rubber bullets rather than metal then he would not be able to kill people with them. [No joke, an adult male person being quite serious once remarked this to me as a 'solution'.]

* If only police and military had guns then there would be no crimes like this...Civilians do not need and cannot be trusted with guns. They are often temperamental, emotional and generally unskilled and untrained as firearm owners.

* If other people had guns to shoot back then farmore people would be hurt and killed as bullets go whizzing by they involved in a 'Dodge City' shoot out in the building akin to the 'OK Corral' or some western bar scene.

Seriously.

As illogical as the above might sound to us, to them this is completely 'common sense' and that our view is equally illogical, stupid and "dangerous".

- Janq carrys into hospitals, where and when lawful
    How have you remained married to a mindset like that?
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    How have you remained married to a mindset like that?
    That is not all of her own specific views, just a few represent her in specific.
    Conversely people ask her the same thing as related to me.
    The whole of that though is reflective of conversation points and views that a multiple of persons through my own adult life time have stated to me as when discussion of this sort comes up.

I'm "paranoid" and "strange and "odd thinking" as well as "worried" about crime & criminals.

Fact is I'm no more paranoid or worried about crime than I am about getting in a car wreck or my home catching fire, equal events that are neither strange nor thought to mitigate potential for injury or loss to be odd.

Again it all comes down to mindset and view, as well as life experience.
    I can't tell you how many times in talking with folk, including those who hunt but are not in favor of handguns and/or civilian carry (!), that say ehh I've never had a problem or known anyone who had a problem...And I don't go to "dangerous" areas of town and stay away from the 'city'.
    They carry that thought as a magic talisman of sorts equally so as some among us think of having a gun at the hip or home as being magical insurance against criminal victimization.

Last Friday evening while driving with a fellow hunter ed. instructor to an out of state location we got to talking about carry of knives by children (17 and under) as well as adults. I commented that I always carry a blade of some sort. Always, and have been doing so since second grade...For purpose of defense mindset. He replied that he could not imagine carrying a knife like that by mindset. He doesn't carry a pistol either noting that the area he lives in so inherently "safe". His words. So safe that he went on to say he regularly leaves his doors and windows open and doesn't think to lock them be he home or not. No need because nothing ever happens in...

Mindset and view, as well as life experiences.

- Janq has been hitched 16 yrs. now, and carrying defense specific arms of some sort or another now for 31 yrs.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

The only message I came away with from that piece of televised garbage was that when seconds count, help is roughly 1 1/2 hours away.......In the form of a Doctor who finally talked the guy into making a choice. The LEOs were portrayed as a bunch of bumbling fools who couldn't figure out which floor the guy was on, traipsing around in a single, tight little tacticool group pointing weapons everywhere......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    The only message I came away with from that piece of televised garbage was that when seconds count, help is roughly 1 1/2 hours away.......In the form of a Doctor who finally talked the guy into making a choice. The LEOs were portrayed as a bunch of bumbling fools who couldn't figure out which floor the guy was on, traipsing around in a single, tight little tacticool group pointing weapons everywhere......
    +1
    The whole show was unrealistic and annoying. I'm pretty sure I ticked the wife off with my commentary but oh well. Its just another anti-gun propaganda show. Dont forget about the "devastator bullet" episode. That was a real piece of work as well.

No need because nothing ever happens in...
    Not to derail the thread, but:

Nothing ever happens until it does.

There is a first time for everything. Man never walked on the moon until he did. Somebody has never been violently assaulted until they are.

Biker

I got three very good lessons from this episode

1. Gun free zones are only gun free until some one shows up W/ a gun

2. The Police's first response is going to be locking you in W/the bad guy think fish in a barrel.

You are on your own

Just like jvteach77 I was also forced to watch Greys.
    It was an OK episode but what got me upset was the very end when the shooter was talking about how easy it was to buy the gun and ammo at large super store. If you didn't watch it it's hard to explain but the way in which the shooter was describing his gun purchase was outrageous. His script was obviously written by an Anti Gun moron. Not surprised by it but I still had to shake my head

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Bah, too much liberalism oozes from all of those medical shows.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

JANG : unfortunately, that's a good assessment and right on the money.

Senior Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    ooohhhh.....this is killen me. I think I got cooties now
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

[QUOTE=Janq;1627312]Here is how my wife and other antis like her would view that same scenario, and your conversation.

During Prohibition booze was illegal. Could people still get it? YES

People under 21 are not allowed to drink alcohol. Do they still get it? YES

Narcotics are illegal now. Can people still get them? YES

You have to show ID and sign for any over the counter drug that has ephedrine in it and can only buy so much. Can someone still get enough to make meth? YES

I don't understand the mindset that thinks that if guns are banned that people won't be able to get them, given all the examples to the contrary. All these laws do is keep these items out of the hands of law abiding people.
    Glock G23
    Kahr P380
    OMC "The Backup" .380

I may die by my own gun, but whoever kills me with it will have to beat me to death with it, cause it will be empty by the time they get it.

I watched this show tonight with my fiance. The funny thing is, before the show even started she said, "you have to promise me you won't say IT". I started to say, "say what?!" when I realized what she was talking about. :D Every single time we watch a suspenseful or horror-type show I say, "you know...if just one person in this movie/show were carrying, it would've been over already, none of this would've happened". Well, I kept my word and didn't say it, lol, but I sure was thinking it.

Definitely anti-propaganda, but from the bright side I think it showed people that anybody can walk into any place at any time and start shooting the place up. It seems to realize the thought by seeing it on TV, even though its just a show.
    Kimber Ultra CDP II
    Glock 30SF, Kahr CM9
    S&W M&P 9c, 40c
    Ruger LCP, 22/45 Mark III

DM2
    Quote Originally Posted by subcool20 View Post
    Just like jvteach77 I was also forced to watch Greys.
    It was an OK episode but what got me upset was the very end when the shooter was talking about how easy it was to buy the gun and ammo at large super store. If you didn't watch it it's hard to explain but the way in which the shooter was describing his gun purchase was outrageous. His script was obviously written by an Anti Gun moron. Not surprised by it but I still had to shake my head
    This was the thing that ticked me off. I never watch Grey's but I'm a sucker for drama. I love action movies and the suspense of who was next kept me from turning the channel.

When this guy starts going on about how easy it was to buy the gun only five days before and how the ammo was on sale my blood started to boil. I was so disappointed that the writers and producers had to turn it into a statement.

And of course, my anti-friend calls me and says "of course there is always a lesson to be learned. I understand the right to bear arms and all, but does it have to be so easy". My response was even if you took all the guns away, people who are intent on killing people would find a way to do it. Its not the gun, its the person with the gun."

So the anti-gun folks at Grey's succeeded with at least one person I know. They also succeeded at insuring that I will never watch that show again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links