What if you have the open shot??

This is a discussion on What if you have the open shot?? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i am fascinated by the number of people who would make verbal contact with the officer while he is involved in a gunfight and not ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What if you have the open shot??

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    i am fascinated by the number of people who would make verbal contact with the officer while he is involved in a gunfight and not believe the bad guy is gonna target you immediately...and that the officer is gonna believe you are a good guy because you are yelling "retired military or police"....

you are advocating drawing attention to yourself and drawing the officers attention away from his task...he is a trained leo and has enough on his hands without wondering what kind of boneheaded move a civilian is going to make getting involved in the situation...

most gunfights are very short lived and rather decisive...youd be best not eing involved unless the officer goes down and is defenseless...you dont want to be responsible for drawing his attention away from the bad guy...or drawing attention toward yourself and complicating the situation....

in the event you are having a hard time locating an exit do not be afraid to create one by shattering a window or such...thats how several people escaped the lubys shooting years ago...it was taken out by gunfire but it was a viable exit....

law enforcement has a hard enough job without one of us complicating it....protect yourself and your family...let the officer do his job...

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    i am fascinated by the number of people who would make verbal contact with the officer while he is involved in a gunfight and not believe the bad guy is gonna target you immediately...and that the officer is gonna believe you are a good guy because you are yelling "retired military or police"....

you are advocating drawing attention to yourself and drawing the officers attention away from his task...he is a trained leo and has enough on his hands without wondering what kind of boneheaded move a civilian is going to make getting involved in the situation...

most gunfights are very short lived and rather decisive...youd be best not eing involved unless the officer goes down and is defenseless...you dont want to be responsible for drawing his attention away from the bad guy...or drawing attention toward yourself and complicating the situation....

in the event you are having a hard time locating an exit do not be afraid to create one by shattering a window or such...thats how several people escaped the lubys shooting years ago...it was taken out by gunfire but it was a viable exit....

law enforcement has a hard enough job without one of us complicating it....protect yourself and your family...let the officer do his job...
    I will start this post by saying I am not a LEO and can only imagine being in the shoes of one that finds himself in the situation described. I think that if i were in a gun fight pinned behind cover and getting shot at and there was someone nearby who can end the threat to me and everyone else in the place with ease I would sure as heck want them to go ahead and do it and would thank them for doing so. Sure LEOS are trained to deal with certain situations but in the situation described here all the training in the world doesn't gaurantee anything. If I am in a position to save/aid an officer in distress with the only risk being the officer thinks I am a bad guy I am taking my chances and putting the BG down. I would think the officer would be relieved to no longer have lead flying his way and would realize pretty quickly what has happened.
    I LOVE ME SOME HK's!

RIP Mike, miss you buddy!

Administrator
    I'd have to stop by the shop and pick up a few more boxes of Gold Dots on my way home.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Blownsvt View Post
    I will start this post by saying I am not a LEO and can only imagine being in the shoes of one that finds himself in the situation described. I think that if i were in a gun fight pinned behind cover and getting shot at and there was someone nearby who can end the threat to me and everyone else in the place with ease I would sure as heck want them to go ahead and do it and would thank them for doing so. Sure LEOS are trained to deal with certain situations but in the situation described here all the training in the world doesn't gaurantee anything. If I am in a position to save/aid an officer in distress with the only risk being the officer thinks I am a bad guy I am taking my chances and putting the BG down. I would think the officer would be relieved to no longer have lead flying his way and would realize pretty quickly what has happened.
    i missed the part where the officer "was pinned behind cover" and "in distress"....the op is that the officer gets involved in a gunfight and is behind cover...what you believe your capabilities are is your business...if the officer is having a hard time neutralizing the threat who is also behind cover according to the op what makes you think youre gonna be in a position to neutralize the threat if you havent been shot already?...

lot of "no cover in fast food restaurants" comments in here but everyone seems to feel pretty safe out in the open while 2 are duking it out form the only apparent cover in the place....

If me or the officer or any member of my family are in direct danger and threat, then that man is going down. Ill take my chances with the LEO...screaming GOOD GUY after. IF there is a way to get out and call for backup for the LEO, and protect me and my family, than that is how I do it. Better to be alive and a good witness, than another unfortunate victim.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

...In this scenario..."what if" I had an open/clear shot when the LEO obviously didn't...
    I would take the shot(s).

Only if an open/clear AND ACCURATELY DEADLY shot is available to me.. If the BG has opportunity to turn his attention towards me, he may shoot wildly in my direction putting other patrons at risk.

I would not sneak around to a better vantage point, I would not move in any way to make the line of sight better... If the shot is open and clear, i would take it...

Before you make yourself a HERO use the brain God gave you!THINK for God Sake..........
    Even if you have an open shoot,adrenaline is pumping in the officers blood,there scanning for BG'S,they see another guy with a gun you could very well become a target to them or by shooting at BG you could draw fire now from BG's to you were innocent people are, causing innocent people to be killed because you wanted to play cop!
    Leave it to the Cop's don't get involved,why ask for problems,I'm sure you already have enough

i missed the part where the officer "was pinned behind cover" and "in distress"....the op is that the officer gets involved in a gunfight and is behind cover...what you believe your capabilities are is your business...if the officer is having a hard time neutralizing the threat who is also behind cover according to the op what makes you think youre gonna be in a position to neutralize the threat if you havent been shot already?...

lot of "no cover in fast food restaurants" comments in here but everyone seems to feel pretty safe out in the open while 2 are duking it out form the only apparent cover in the place....
    The OP clearly stated that "I" was in a position where I had an easy clear shot so thats the assumption I am acting under.
    I LOVE ME SOME HK's!

RIP Mike, miss you buddy!

I'd knock him out cold with my drumstick (JK)

I would take the shot and drop to the ground so fast slide gun away, hands on head yelling DON'T SHOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

Bang!

The longer the fight goes on, the greater the chances of me or other innocent people being shot, from either side. Hopefully, I'm behind cover from the officer's fire as well.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Pop smoke and call for an air strike.
    Ditto.

In the immediate anyone firing a gun in any direction for any purpose is to the view of the LEO a _threat_.
    So now you as the GG by intent are in the immediate by view of the LEO a secondary BG.
    POP POP POP...Now you are laid out near by to him sporting holes you weren't born with and quite likely may die from.

No thanks.
    I'm Audi 5000...

- Janq

P.S. - Maybe take my knife and drive it into the side of the OC/CS can I carry then take that and toss it cross the room at the place where the BG is holed up. Then exit, stage left.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

With bullets flying in the room, I consider my life to be at risk from a random shot even if I'm not the target, thus it would be self defense. IMHO at least.
    A 1911 is Not an obsession, it's simply a recognition that it's THE Gun. :-) All others are runner ups. And hey, if all else fails, aim for the nose and fling it to knock out your foe. Let's see y'all do that with a kel-Tec. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    Give Me Thre Steps ;-)
    H/D
    Three steps Mister is right...
    Shooting at a BG in the middle of a gun battle would more than likely cause the LEO to direct some 40 Caliber love your way. I don't take the shot unless the threat is directed at me.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by nightsonge View Post
    With bullets flying in the room, I consider my life to be at risk from a random shot even if I'm not the target, thus it would be self defense. IMHO at least.
    so with that reasoning youre thinking about maybe shooting the leo also?...

so with that reasoning youre thinking about maybe shooting the leo also?...
    Obviously if the BG is down the shooting stops....
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links