real life scenario from this past week...

This is a discussion on real life scenario from this past week... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Scott Davies Yes sir, you betcha!! Listening to the nurse at work tell the story and thinking thru the implications has caused ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: real life scenario from this past week...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Davies View Post

Yes sir, you betcha!! Listening to the nurse at work tell the story and thinking thru the implications has caused me to think about carrying a spare mag on a routine basis.

Hey buddy... No one hates being weighed down by gear more than me. But I learned long ago, having a spare reload or two is essentially mandatory gear.

I would hate to try and take on more than one bad guy with just the ammo in my gun. You just never know how many people you may face and what kind of problems you may encounter running your gun.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    ...having a spare reload or two is essentially mandatory gear.
    +1

Nine in the gun and one if not two 10 rd. sticks in reserve.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    just ordered 2 mags from Wilson.........
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    I would be interested in hearing you elaborate your statement...Okay

Are you saying that the "right thing" to do is to kill the man harming the woman?
    I'm saying the right thing to do is, to do what you can to help her. She could have been out eating supper with her child,when crazy ex and a few friends seen her with the current man and decided to kill her.. True there are a endless amount of factors , but none that would justify her head being smashed in!!!!

Even if you have no idea what the situation is?
    I know he is trying to kill a women on the ground by smashing her head in with a rock..Just from that..I know all I need to.

Even if the police may have been called already?

So there 3 minutes out...how many hits from a rock will a human skull take? She may have seconds to live. It could be someone tried to snatch the child and the mother and father are getting beat to death in front of you

Since you separated "doing nothing" as a different statistic, what would be the "wrong thing" to do?

Being 5'2" and no weapon, running in with your arms waving and screaming quit,quit!! That would be the wrong thing to do..IMO
    Ccdwolf is no superhero or a leo.. I haven't tried to get on with a dozen agencies to become one, I don't want to be one.
    To think you need a badge and to be on the CLOCK to step up for a stranger is what's wrong with this country.
    I hope there are some good witnesses around to tell the COPS a blow by blow of how your loved one was beaten to death..God forbid that ever happens.

Here's a good read>>>A Nation of Cowards

Our society suffers greatly from the beliefs that only official action is legitimate and that the state is the source of our earthly salvation. Both liberal and conservative prescriptions for violent crime suffer from the "not in my job description" school of thought regarding the responsibilities of the law-abiding citizen, and from an overestimation of the ability of the state to provide society's moral moorings. As long as law-abiding citizens assume no personal responsibility for combatting crime, liberal and conservative programs will fail to contain it.
    Last edited by cdwolf; May 25th, 2010 at 07:53 PM.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I would even consider firing a few rounds in the air before pointing the weapon at someone.
    Being that you are responsible for every round you fire, and every round has a lawyer attatched to it, you may want to reconsider such a negligent plan as a solution to the conundrum.

Biker

MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972
    As Amended

SEC. 97-3-15. Homicide; justifiable homicide.

(1) The killing of a human being by the act, procurement, or omission of another shall be justifiable in the following cases:

(a) When committed by public officers, or those acting by their aid and assistance, in obedience to any judgment of a competent court;

(b) When necessarily committed by public officers, or those acting by their command in their aid and assistance, in overcoming actual resistance to the execution of some legal process, or to the discharge of any other legal duty;

(c) When necessarily committed by public officers, or those acting by their command in their aid and assistance, in retaking any felon who has been rescued or has escaped;

(d) When necessarily committed by public officers, or those acting by their command in their aid and assistance, in arresting any felon fleeing from justice;

(e) When committed by any person in resisting any attempt unlawfully to kill such person or to commit any felony upon him, or upon or in any dwelling house in which such person shall be;

(f) When committed in the lawful defense of one's own person or any other human being, where there shall be reasonable ground to apprehend a design to commit a felony or to do some great personal injury, and there shall be imminent danger of such design being accomplished;

(g) When necessarily committed in attempting by lawful ways and means to apprehend any person for any felony committed;

(h) When necessarily committed in lawfully suppressing any riot or in lawfully keeping and preserving the peace.

(2) As used in paragraphs (1)(c) and (1)(d) of this section, the term "when necessarily committed" means that a public officer or a person acting by or at the officer's command, aid or assistance is authorized to use such force as necessary in securing and detaining the felon offender, overcoming the offender's resistance, preventing the offender's escape, recapturing the offender if the offender escapes or in protecting himself or others from bodily harm; but such officer or person shall not be authorized to resort to deadly or dangerous means when to do so would be unreasonable under the circumstances. The public officer or person acting by or at the officer's command may act upon a reasonable apprehension of the surrounding circumstances; however, such officer or person shall not use excessive force or force that is greater than reasonably necessary in securing and detaining the offender, overcoming the offender's resistance, preventing the offender's escape, recapturing the offender if the offender escapes or in protecting himself or others from bodily harm.

(3) As used in paragraphs (1)(c) and (1)(d) of this section the term "felon" shall include an offender who has been convicted of a felony and shall also include an offender who is in custody, or whose custody is being sought, on a charge or for an offense which is punishable, upon conviction, by death or confinement in the penitentiary.

SOURCES: Codes, Hutchinson's 1848, ch. 64, art. 12, Title 3 (2); 1857, ch. 64, art. 168; 1871, Sec. 2631; 1880, Sec. 2878; 1892, Sec. 1152; 1906, Sec. 1230; Hemingway's 1917, Sec. 960; 1930, Sec. 988; 1942, Sec. 2218; Laws, 1983, ch. 382, eff from and after January 1, 1984.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

just ordered 2 mags from Wilson.........
    what type of gun do you carry?
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

Turning the corner and seeing that:
    1. Dial 911 as I circle around to secure the child.
    2. Report the situation, leaving them on the phone, and intervene.
    3. Yell that the police are on the way and to put the rock down, primarly directing this towards the guy beating the woman with the rock.
    4. If he stopped and then posed a threat to me, DRAW.
    5. If he approached, I'd stop the threat.
    6. Having knowledge of the law that Ch. Davies spoke of, if he didn't respond, I'd DRAW and FIRE.

Having been in the Army for over 21 years and having had drummed into me as a medic that I'm to even protect and care for an injured enemy, why would I not protect a fellow citizen of the country that I've sworn to protect. Somebody's got to be willing to step up in case an offduty is there and won't.

NOTE: When I carry, the majority of the time, I've carried one stick of 12, .40 or .357SIG depending on which XD I have with me. Will double it from now on have a 3rd in the truck.

King James

Here in NC law says to protect yourself and family from threat. The situation you described three is no treat to your life. Its is a tough call but I like to be at home with my family. Again if you don't know all the facts best to stay out of it. IMHO
    Uly
    Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power.

-- Yoshimi Ishikawa, Japanese author, in the LA Times 15 Oct 1992

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    guardmt: what type of gun do you carry?
    Kimber 3" 1911 w/ Crimson Trace.........
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

king james
    welcome, were do you shot at ? now back to regular programing.
    God Bless our troops,Pass the ammo
    carry guns,g30,g39
    1911,colt defender 90 / .45
    OLD F##T W/ .45:
    my avater is part of the reason i feel the way i do.

Kimber 3" 1911 w/ Crimson Trace.........
    Lol did you get it at a Sportsman here in Montana or elsewhere?
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

Quote Originally Posted by King James View Post
    Turning the corner and seeing that:
    1. Dial 911 as I circle around to secure the child.
    2. Report the situation, leaving them on the phone, and intervene.
    3. Yell that the police are on the way and to put the rock down, primarly directing this towards the guy beating the woman with the rock.
    4. If he stopped and then posed a threat to me, DRAW.
    5. If he approached, I'd stop the threat.
    6. Having knowledge of the law that Ch. Davies spoke of, if he didn't respond, I'd DRAW and FIRE.

Having been in the Army for over 21 years and having had drummed into me as a medic that I'm to even protect and care for an injured enemy, why would I not protect a fellow citizen of the country that I've sworn to protect. Somebody's got to be willing to step up in case an offduty is there and won't.

NOTE: When I carry, the majority of the time, I've carried one stick of 12, .40 or .357SIG depending on which XD I have with me. Will double it from now on have a 3rd in the truck.

King James
    If you want to see a group scatter, just yell "COPS, RUN". If that causes the threat to be turn towards you then at least the guy stopped pounding a rock into a girls skull. I think I can outrun a drunk, if not, bang, bang.

Quote Originally Posted by JB-Norcal View Post
    If you want to see a group scatter, just yell "COPS, RUN". If that causes the threat to be turn towards you then at least the guy stopped pounding a rock into a girls skull. I think I can outrun a drunk, if not, bang, bang.
    Being that one of the parties involved already has a contact weapon in hand, and is using it with some degree of success, if I were inclined to become involved in this situation you can rest assured that my firearm would be in my hand with the sights imposed upon my target.

If you haven't run a Tueller Drill I suggest you do so. That will help to show you how fast someone can close the gap and make contact with you. Granted, being that they are kneeling on the person they are striking with the rock will slow them down a little, but probably not by as much as you think.

I don't know that I can safely outrun a drunk, and have no desire to find out. Since any actions taken off duty will not be considered within the scope of employment, I am reticent to involve myself in another's predicament.

Biker

I am in agreement with the few here who believe that if you dont know the facts...call 911 and let it go. It is unfortunate, but if you cant be CERTAIN and able to PROVE who instigated this brawl, then it semms like your setting yourself up for major problems. YES! get that child outta there if you can safely do so! I certainly would hate to see ANYONE (man or woman) taking a very one sided beating, but guys......what if she started it?.....Regardless of our personall feelings about this brute rock wielding monster...I think the law might have a differing view if you used your weapon against someone who was "defending" himself. Well they would in NC anyway. Just my humble 2 cents.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links