Why I bought first handgun:

This is a discussion on Why I bought first handgun: within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; True story, scenario, and reason for first hangun purchase 30+ years ago. (real expletives edited, I hope) First wife and I were buying houses back ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why I bought first handgun:

Why I bought first handgun:

True story, scenario, and reason for first hangun purchase 30+ years ago. (real expletives edited, I hope)

First wife and I were buying houses back in the 70's to fix up and rent. Most of these were small houses on small lots in not so great neighborhoods. We'd live in the house while doing the repairs/upgrades.

At that time, barely in my 20's, I had rifles and a shotty for huntin' squirrels and rabbits. One day we came home after a dinner out and found the house had been entered. Nothing taken, nothing vandalized.. we were lucky... And from then on I slept with a Marlin semiauto .22 rifle propped up by the bed... The bed was in the living room because I had gutted the upstairs.

The front door was by the foot of the bed. From there thru the dining room to the kitchen (and the back door) was maybe another 25'... told you these were small houses. In fact, I hung my robe over the back of one of the dining room chairs, about 7 feet from my siide of the bed.

One night, about a week later... we're in bed... wifey's out cold. I'm just about to drift off....

Thump, thumpthump, thump...
    I'm wide awake!
    Someone on the back porch...
    I start to reach for the phone on my side table... gonna dial the operator (no 911 yet)
    Crash! thump thump thump

YIKES! He's in the kitchen!

Okay, I let my arm drop from the phone...
    It's dark in the house but I can see his outline...
    What's he gonna do?

All of this has occurred in maybe 10 seconds... probably less. Adrenaline sloooooows time way doowwwnnnn.

What am I gonna do?
    I start reaching for the rifle....

Thumpthumpthumpthumpthumpthump!

HE'S STANDING BY MY SIDE OF THE BED! TOO DURN CLOSE TO GET TO THE GUN!

I drop my arm--- pretend to be asleep.... If this Badguy will just get fer enough away, I'm gonna empty the tube in him!
    In the back--- side--- head--- I don't care--- just let him back off a couple of feet! I'm gonna killl him! (BTW, I'm sure that if he could see me he'd know I'm not asleep... I got my eyes scrunched so tight shut... you know, like your little kids when they're trying to convince you they're asleep) ...

Waiting
    Waiting
    Scrunching
    waiting

He bends over me a little!

Pushes on my shoulder to "wake me up" (MY HEAD IS EXPLODING!) and says...

"Leonard, Leonard! Get UP... Get up, man! Where do I sleep?"

I pretend to wake up a bit... "mumble mumble" "unh"

"Leonard, where can I crash, man? I gotta sleep... where can I sleep?"

"Go schleep uhstairs, man... unh.." (me, trying to sound sleepy...)

"Hey, YOU AIN'T LEONARD! Where's Leonard?"

okay... Now what?
    now I gotta "wake up." Answer so he can really understand me... and hope he gets far enough away... I can swing the gun up.... "Leonard lives next door, man... You got the wrong house!"

He backs off... a little, about 5 feet... I reach up, turn on the bedside light... and start sittin' up. I can see him clearly now, and he me. HE has one hand in his jacket pocket!

***... He gotta gun???

"Uh... hand me my robe would ya, right behind you there on the chair...."
    He reaches with the "free" hand gets the robe, steps close enough to stretch out his arm and hand it to me....But he still has his right hand in his jacket pocket.... DAGNABIT!

I throw the robe on... I'm still on the bed close to the gun.... and I start just talkin' to him... "Hey no problem man.... but you got the wrong house... Leonard lives next door.. give me a minute, I'll show you where"

"Hey, what you got in your pocket man? I mean my wife's here in bed and ... ya know?

He pulls his hand out of the pocket... and pats both pockets flat... "I ain't got nothin man... It's cold outside... I din't mean to mess with you man.. or your family... I ain't after nuttin' I thought you was Leonard... He tol me I could crash at his place."

Whadda ya know... I AM too young to have a heart attack... hey! I can even breathe a little bit here... whew...

"Okay... You're lucky man, if you'da got far enough away... YOU'D BE DEAD..." Pointing at the rifle...

His eyes go wide...

"Oh, man...I really sorry man. I thought this was Leonard's place... i din't mean to mess you up man, really, I'm sorry, man sorry"

So I tie my robe, stand up, walk him to the back door... point him to Leonard's house... and send him on his way... Then I close the kitchen door.. and LOCK IT! (Shooot, How'd I leave that unlocked?) And went back to the bedroom/livingroom.... AND the WIFE IS STILL OUT COLD! She slept thru the whole thing!

The next day, I stopped over to Leonard's... His mom answered the door... I asked if this guy showed up last night... She said yeah... but (her son) Leonard had moved out a couple a weeks ago... and she said "I don' know who dat ni### was and I pointed my 38 in his face an tol him to git! Leonard don live here no more nohow!"

And that was when I decided it would be a bit more ...shall we say... "convenient" ...to have a handgun instead of a long arm.

I bought a 22 revovler.. "western style" brass frame, 6 shot... double action... It was all I could afford at the time.

2. Remove Ads

I dont think my dogs would have like that one bit :)

Yes, I now have dogs, and sufficient arms. Back then, we could hardly afford to feed ourselves, let alone a dog.

Scary story, it could have gone the other way just as easily!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    True story, scenario, and reason for first hangun purchase 30+ years ago. (real expletives edited, I hope)

First wife and I were buying houses back in the 70's to fix up and rent. Most of these were small houses on small lots in not so great neighborhoods. We'd live in the house while doing the repairs/upgrades.

At that time, barely in my 20's, I had rifles and a shotty for huntin' squirrels and rabbits. One day we came home after a dinner out and found the house had been entered. Nothing taken, nothing vandalized.. we were lucky... And from then on I slept with a Marlin semiauto .22 rifle propped up by the bed... The bed was in the living room because I had gutted the upstairs.

The front door was by the foot of the bed. From there thru the dining room to the kitchen (and the back door) was maybe another 25'... told you these were small houses. In fact, I hung my robe over the back of one of the dining room chairs, about 7 feet from my siide of the bed.

One night, about a week later... we're in bed... wifey's out cold. I'm just about to drift off....

Thump, thumpthump, thump...
    I'm wide awake!
    Someone on the back porch...
    I start to reach for the phone on my side table... gonna dial the operator (no 911 yet)
    Crash! thump thump thump

YIKES! He's in the kitchen!

Okay, I let my arm drop from the phone...
    It's dark in the house but I can see his outline...
    What's he gonna do?

All of this has occurred in maybe 10 seconds... probably less. Adrenaline sloooooows time way doowwwnnnn.

What am I gonna do?
    I start reaching for the rifle....

Thumpthumpthumpthumpthumpthump!

HE'S STANDING BY MY SIDE OF THE BED! TOO DURN CLOSE TO GET TO THE GUN!

I drop my arm--- pretend to be asleep.... If this Badguy will just get fer enough away, I'm gonna empty the tube in him!
    In the back--- side--- head--- I don't care--- just let him back off a couple of feet! I'm gonna killl him! (BTW, I'm sure that if he could see me he'd know I'm not asleep... I got my eyes scrunched so tight shut... you know, like your little kids when they're trying to convince you they're asleep) ...

Waiting
    Waiting
    Scrunching
    waiting

He bends over me a little!

Pushes on my shoulder to "wake me up" (MY HEAD IS EXPLODING!) and says...

"Leonard, Leonard! Get UP... Get up, man! Where do I sleep?"

I pretend to wake up a bit... "mumble mumble" "unh"

"Leonard, where can I crash, man? I gotta sleep... where can I sleep?"

"Go schleep uhstairs, man... unh.." (me, trying to sound sleepy...)

"Hey, YOU AIN'T LEONARD! Where's Leonard?"

okay... Now what?
    now I gotta "wake up." Answer so he can really understand me... and hope he gets far enough away... I can swing the gun up.... "Leonard lives next door, man... You got the wrong house!"

He backs off... a little, about 5 feet... I reach up, turn on the bedside light... and start sittin' up. I can see him clearly now, and he me. HE has one hand in his jacket pocket!

***... He gotta gun???

"Uh... hand me my robe would ya, right behind you there on the chair...."
    He reaches with the "free" hand gets the robe, steps close enough to stretch out his arm and hand it to me....But he still has his right hand in his jacket pocket.... DAGNABIT!

I throw the robe on... I'm still on the bed close to the gun.... and I start just talkin' to him... "Hey no problem man.... but you got the wrong house... Leonard lives next door.. give me a minute, I'll show you where"

"Hey, what you got in your pocket man? I mean my wife's here in bed and ... ya know?

He pulls his hand out of the pocket... and pats both pockets flat... "I ain't got nothin man... It's cold outside... I din't mean to mess with you man.. or your family... I ain't after nuttin' I thought you was Leonard... He tol me I could crash at his place."

Whadda ya know... I AM too young to have a heart attack... hey! I can even breathe a little bit here... whew...

"Okay... You're lucky man, if you'da got far enough away... YOU'D BE DEAD..." Pointing at the rifle...

His eyes go wide...

"Oh, man...I really sorry man. I thought this was Leonard's place... i din't mean to mess you up man, really, I'm sorry, man sorry"

So I tie my robe, stand up, walk him to the back door... point him to Leonard's house... and send him on his way... Then I close the kitchen door.. and LOCK IT! (Shooot, How'd I leave that unlocked?) And went back to the bedroom/livingroom.... AND the WIFE IS STILL OUT COLD! She slept thru the whole thing!

The next day, I stopped over to Leonard's... His mom answered the door... I asked if this guy showed up last night... She said yeah... but (her son) Leonard had moved out a couple a weeks ago... and she said "I don' know who dat ni### was and I pointed my 38 in his face an tol him to git! Leonard don live here no more nohow!"

And that was when I decided it would be a bit more ...shall we say... "convenient" ...to have a handgun instead of a long arm.

I bought a 22 revovler.. "western style" brass frame, 6 shot... double action... It was all I could afford at the time.
    Good read and thanks for sharing your experience, If I had my handgun and right when he was in my room I would have blasted him away... Good to know that your armed
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Yes, I now have dogs, and sufficient arms. Back then, we could hardly afford to feed ourselves, let alone a dog.
    You live and learn and security progresses as you go. I know have cameras on my doors and I can see who is there without opening the door.

My "takeaway" from this is that Leonard's mama's conversation was both the briefest and the most effective.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Despite taking a few years off your life, it turned out okay for you, the wife, and a very stupid person who could have been retired to a cemetary lot that night.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    My take on this is;
    * Grab the gun 1st, then phone 2nd
    * If you think someone is outside, treat it like someone is out side and don't wait to find out if they are going to come inside the house
    * Don't live next to someone so you know for a fact that the person don't have "the wrong house"
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    One thing everyone seems to be glancing over... that was 30 years ago. That kind of story ends differently these days. It ends with theft, murder, rape, arson... you cannot be safe enough.

Oakchas, I'm glad that you came through that ok, and I'm glad it was 30 years ago, especially since, you are ready for the modern day scenario without having to face it first.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    At the first thump thump thump, i would have had my gun in my hand, not wondering whats going on, nothing good comes from thump thump thump, however, you did a great job in bluffing your way through the situation untill he was far enough back for u to get to your gun
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

At the first sound of thumping on the porch, my dogs would have rocketed out there...and that might have been a significant clue to him that it was the wrong house. And it def would have woken me up and 9mm immediately in hand (right next to bed, on nightstand shelf....no kids in the house).

It's sobering to think of somebody just showing up at bedside...did he have to break in? He'd have to at my house. I'm pretty sure I'd have 9mm and be taking cover in bedroom by the time he got that far if dogs were alerted...at least...this is what I've worked out.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Sounds like Leonards mom has enough experience to survive.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Instead of asking about that situation here on DC, you should have gotten some 'training' from Leonard's mama way back then...

You could have easily not been here to relate the story, glad it worked out like it did...thanks for sharing.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Wow oakchas. I think I'd have messed the bed when that fellow materialized next to me like that. Way to keep your cool. Glad everyone was okay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links