This is a discussion on You're enjoying dinner in a classy establishment... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by varob Just make sure you yell, "Drop the weapon" as you're shooting. So as all the witnesses can say that you gave ...
This is a "similar scenario" that was given in my LEO "Oral Boards"
LEOs were required to carry 24/7 (technically on "duty") in those days.
The "correct" answer was
1. Be READY to take action, but DO NOT unless you "adjudge" there is NO other recourse.
2. Observe, & be an "expert witness"
Taking "action" in a situation like this is "courting disaster" No matter how "good" you are, taking the BG down BEFORE He/She gets a shot off (even if he is Technically DEAD,) is VERY ???? Plus your round ??
Qkay, now reality -
I have the "T shirt"
I was @ a restaurant with a Date when IT happened.
1. I was an Expert shot ( an Instructor) & carrying a .357 2.5" 19.
2. We were seated in the md. of the restaurant when it "went down."
3. I drew & placed my gun on my thigh.
4. Told my Date to place her purse on the table & remain calm. & say nothing.
5. I placed my wallet ( sans my LE ID) & money clip on the table, plus my "off hand was on the table.
6. He soon made it to the table next to us & "offered" me a shot. Did I take it ?? ( I REALLY wanted to But NO. Why ?? My call.
7. He took our "goodies & after 2 more tables he turned & left ( 2 more ops to take him. Did I = NO.
8. As he left I "discretely followed, because I was "worried about him confronting a "patron entering " & Panicking.
9. In the Lobby his "partner ( a female) had the Cashier & server "covered."
10. I watched them leave, got the "plates", called it in.
a. BGs caught by local PD
b. All got "stuff back"
c. No collateral damage
d. LOST a "girl friend". She thought I was a "coward."for not "Acting"
It is YOUR CALL.
This is a way is which life is fair. Everyone with the capabilities gets to make their own decision and live with, or die with it depending on the outcome. Having the capabilities allows you the luxury of having the choice.
Guns are meant to be shot Harley, not thrown!
I would shoot him for a piece of blueberry cheesecake!
No, not really, but once he's pulled the handgun and began his table to table theft, he is now a target. It's time to end his career and make robbery more dangeous than it used to be. Make sure that nobody is behind him so the rounds placed at center-mass do not exit and hit innocent folk.
"A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"
The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green
Perhaps he realized he shouldn't mess with a man bad enough to wear a skirt. ;-)
Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth
"We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
"no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"
I would maybe shoot, depending on how he was acting in the scenario. However in reality if I am on cheese cake by this point it probably also means I am on my second martini which means I am sitting there and finishing my drink and cake, and handing over my wallet and Timex watch, if he really wants it. Also I probably wouldn’t even have a firearm on me for that reason in this case.