Pepper Sprayed, what to do? - Page 2

Pepper Sprayed, what to do?

This is a discussion on Pepper Sprayed, what to do? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Coastie 585 Police cadets get pepper sprayed in the academy to teach them two things. - They can fight THROUGH the pain. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pepper Sprayed, what to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Coastie 585 View Post
    Police cadets get pepper sprayed in the academy to teach them two things.

- They can fight THROUGH the pain.
    - So can anybody they spray.

When getting certified I was pepper sprayed, I then had to fight off a guy in a redman suit, while of course protecting my weapon. I then had to draw down on him, order him to the ground and handcuff him.

Just because you are pepper sprayed does not mean the fight is over. Does the stuff hurt? Hell yeah it does, but it doesn't really become incompacitating until you have nothing to keep you busy, i.e. after you handcuff the BG. Once you are mission complete it really, erally kicks in.
    That's probably the same OC Counter Assault course I used to teach for National Law Enforcement Training Center.

When drawing your gun... in order to overcome the constant reflexive blinking of your eyes is to use the fingers of your off hand to physically pry the eyelids open of your dominant eye and hold your eye open. There will be a natural reflex to squeeze your eyes shut or blink rapidly and you'll need to overcome that. We called it the "Popeye Technique."
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coastie 585 View Post
    Police cadets get pepper sprayed in the academy to teach them two things.

- They can fight THROUGH the pain.
    - So can anybody they spray.

When getting certified I was pepper sprayed, I then had to fight off a guy in a redman suit, while of course protecting my weapon. I then had to draw down on him, order him to the ground and handcuff him.

Just because you are pepper sprayed does not mean the fight is over. Does the stuff hurt? Hell yeah it does, but it doesn't really become incompacitating until you have nothing to keep you busy, i.e. after you handcuff the BG. Once you are mission complete it really, erally kicks in.
    I was sprayed when I attended the OC course as I was assigned then as a gate guard/patrolman/dispatcher to the Naval Security Police Force back in 2000. From what I have experienced getting sprayed with Aerko OC, it wasn't that bad. But I would say, washing it off was more painful than getting sprayed on. And I would say, do not take a shower or wash your face on that same day as the OC effects will shut your eyes again. We were all excused from work the next day and I cancelled attending my jujitsu classes from Norfolk that same night.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    That's probably the same OC Counter Assault course I used to teach for National Law Enforcement Training Center.

When drawing your gun... in order to overcome the constant reflexive blinking of your eyes is to use the fingers of your off hand to physically pry the eyelids open of your dominant eye and hold your eye open. There will be a natural reflex to squeeze your eyes shut or blink rapidly and you'll need to overcome that. We called it the "Popeye Technique."
    Good advice!
    It also would be a good idea to spray some of your OC spray on a windy day.
    You'll know exactly how it feels when some comes back into your eyes (which it probably will do). Not a bad thing to know about if you carry OC spray. You'll also know how far it sprays and how it handles. Most people that carry it, know nothing about it's use or how it feels. If you carry a tool, you ought to know something about its effectiveness.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Good advice!
    It also would be a good idea to spray some of your OC spray on a windy day.
    You'll know exactly how it feels when some comes back into your eyes (which it probably will do). Not a bad thing to know about if you carry OC spray. You'll also know how far it sprays and how it handles. Most people that carry it, know nothing about it's use or how it feels. If you carry a tool, you ought to know something about its effectiveness.OMOYMV
    Glad you brought that up. Never spray against the wind. Or you'll end up getting sprayed by your own OC.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Probably, it is the standard course that the Coast Guard uses, taught either at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC) or at individual units.

Lots of variables here. Its past my bedtime but i'll address a few. There are a zillion types of "Mace". Oil based, water based, fog, stream, foam....list goes on. Also is the concentration of "OC" (oleoresin capsicum). All these ingredients go into how long it lasts, and how bad it messes you up. There are lots of effects of the spray. For those of you that havent been sprayed....there is the obvious searing pain in the eyes. Immediately following the initial pain is the eyes slamming shut involuntarily. You have to force them back open. After a few more seconds, you start breathing it. It'll feel like your throat is closing up. If you dont expect it, its downright scary. Next on the list is eyeglasses. Not much help. If you get hit in the forehead (across the brow is the ideal shot) it will drip into your eye. Getting one little drop in your eye is just as bad as getting completely hosed. Everyone has a different reaction. I was in pain for over 4 hours, and had difficulty keeping my eyes open for at least 2 hours. Other people were over it in 20 minutes. Also keep in mind that most people that have to get sprayed (police, military etc...) get a "perfect" dose. A solid stream across the brow. In a fight or self defense situation, as soon as that junk hits you, you will turn away and duck out of the way. You wont get nearly the shot as if you stood there and accepted it. There is no answer to the question posted. This is one of those things that can be what-if'd to death. I'm interested to see what everyone has to say, especially those of you that have been hosed :) BTW, I was hit with the .18% stuff....absolute hellfire in a bottle....never again :)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    Glad you brought that up. Never spray against the wind. Or you'll end up getting sprayed by your own OC.
    Actually, my point is TO try it. One may not have a choice when be attacked...what WILL you do if some comes back into your eyes?
    It doesn't take much wind to get a little blow back.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    "Hey, Wifey - instead of you coming to the range with me (which I know you're not fond of), how 'bout we practice with OC this weekend instead?"

Hmm....

I'm sure you're right about the benefits of getting a dose so you're prepared for blowback or an attack. But I can't say I'm real keen on it.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    being the curious idiot that i am i can tell you that the stuff can be quite dibilitating depending on your resistance and tolerance levels...and knowing its coming is a bit of an advantage as opposed to someone showing up out of nowhere and surprizing you with it...it not only blinnds you but plays hell with your sinuses...beats hot wings every day of the week....

the chances you take are whether the perp has a weapon and intends to use it if you put up a fight...walking into that partially blind is a risk...drawing and firing while holding an eye open is a real long shot as the bad guys mo is going to be snatch and run...not hang around to watch you suffer...at best he is gonna be a fast moving target and your ability to identify clear lanes is severely compromised....

i would guess this technique is used most often on women as they have an easy to remove purse to run with...as opposed to finding a wallet and running away with it while dealing with a flailing blind man who wants your ass dead...

AzB
    Having been maced by accident before, (woman in grocery store; long story) the biggest problem is surprise. It takes a lot of time to get your bearings back. Maybe 10-15 seconds, and that's a long time in a defense situation. Then you still have to deal with not being able to see and the pain.

If you think this is a possible scenario for you, I can certainly see where practice and experiencing being maced will help. Probably something all of us should experience at least once.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    If I was pepper sprayed then I would try to get out of the situation ASAP. Forget the attacker or anything else. For those who haven't been OC sprayed before can't understand how debilitating it really is.

I would rely on SA. If I know there is a threat I would try to avoid it. If I was caught off guard the first thing is to try to cover the face and gut with my arms and turning around to avoid a potential weapon to the front of the body. You don't really know what the attacker has but if the encounter STARTS with assault assume he has a deadly weapon.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

If you have not been sprayed and are saying you know what you will do, your are kidding yourself. Even if you have been sprayed before there are many variables.

In other threads I have posted how OC is used as a robbery tool more than one for SD, and here is a fine example. Lucky it was not Wasp/Hornet spray which is another favorite in the hood.

When you get sprayed your hands of course want to come up to your eyes which of course exposed the rest of you body. Imagine if you have a kid in tow, and they get sprayed as well or just run off. Everyone should take a blast to see how it feels.

If at all possible you should try to get your hands on your attack and do as much damage as possible. If you believe it is being used a robbery tool it makes it a felony. Deadly force may be legal.

As far as drawing and using a knife, that is what Inverted Edge Tactics are for. As far as using a gun, you may be able to pull it off if you have been trained using contact shots which many have not. YMMV- George

I hope this guy just picks on women... And I hope he does not visit this site to see how we'd respond so that he can plan his attacks around it.

I believe if this were to happen to me, in all honesty now; not some testosterone-induced state of superhero-packin'-a-gun BS:

1. I'd have turned away from the spray that hit me (after the fact) blinded, bent over, and gagging (probably).

2. If the attack were from my right front quarter, I'd have been turned left ,and bent over; exposing both my wallet and possibly my carry piece to the BG as though offered to him on a platter.

The suddenness of the attack and the normal/natural human reaction to turn from pain (a whole body flinch, if you will) would make it very difficult to override the body's mechanism of self protection.

I would hope I would have the wherewithal to keep a hand covering, and even more hopefully, securing my weapon.

Now, he's got my wallet (and I was able to secure my weapon) I cannot see him to describe him... Heck, he could have driven off in a big yellow school bus with pretty purple pictures all over it and I might not be able to describe the getaway vehicle... And, now that he's gone, I'm just starting to think of prying my strong eye open and getting my cel phone, and getting back into my house, and calling the police.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links