K9 Threat - Page 2

K9 Threat

This is a discussion on K9 Threat within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had to pepper spray a very aggressive German Shepherd that tore out after me when I was on a bike ride on a public ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: K9 Threat

I had to pepper spray a very aggressive German Shepherd that tore out after me when I was on a bike ride on a public trail. I had pretty good speed, but he sprinted and started biting at my heels when he caught up with me. I deployed the Fox brand pepper spray from my handlebar bag. I finally got a good shot at his muzzle, mouth and eyes. I had already decided if I would have fallen off the bike or he got a good hold on my leg, the Glock 23 was coming out, and he was getting 2 to the chest. Luckily the pepper spray stopped him.......and yes, you can consider this a testimonial for the Fox brand...Good Stuff!!

The Time The Dog Struck - Nightmare

I know someone who got torn into by a Police K9 Rottweiler - by mistake. Young and very pretty girl, late 20s, going into a drugstore, walked around a Police K9 Car to get to the front door. The officer had without knowing it left the car door ajar where the dog was. Soon as my friend was in the perimeter of the car it flew against the door which opened. In a second it had knocked her over and had her face and head locked between its jaws and dragged her by her skull screaming down the street. The cop ran out an immediately gave the dog the Stop order. But she was gouged over face and head.

I saw her a few hours later in the ER- horrible. Luckily the officer had called off the dog before she was mangled forever. And quick work by doctors and emergency work by a plastic surgeon was able to keep her from disfigurement. Though for a while her face appeared distorted. Further plastic surgery did miracles for her.

She sued the city and won a good amount of money, but god knows it was not worth it. And she really needed psychological therapy for almost a year, and it wasn't a legal technique: couldn't sleep, flashbacks, depression etc.

I don't know how the officer was disciplined but he must have been. I think the dog was put down; too bad, he was protecting as he was trained, but I don't think it was allowable to keep him as a K9 dog, or to give him to private owners.

I can't imagine anything more terrifying than what happened to her.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    I know someone who got torn into by a Police K9 Rottweiler - by mistake. Young and very pretty girl, late 20s, going into a drugstore, walked around a Police K9 Car to get to the front door. The officer had without knowing it left the car door ajar where the dog was. Soon as my friend was in the perimeter of the car it flew against the door which opened. In a second it had knocked her over and had her face and head locked between its jaws and dragged her by her skull screaming down the street. The cop ran out an immediately gave the dog the Stop order. But she was gouged over face and head.

I saw her a few hours later in the ER- horrible. Luckily the officer had called off the dog before she was mangled forever. And quick work by doctors and emergency work by a plastic surgeon was able to keep her from disfigurement. Though for a while her face appeared distorted. Further plastic surgery did miracles for her.

She sued the city and won a good amount of money, but god knows it was not worth it. And she really needed psychological therapy for almost a year, and it wasn't a legal technique: couldn't sleep, flashbacks, depression etc.

I don't know how the officer was disciplined but he must have been. I think the dog was put down; too bad, he was protecting as he was trained, but I don't think it was allowable to keep him as a K9 dog, or to give him to private owners.

I can't imagine anything more terrifying than what happened to her.

I'm glad she was ok. I don't know about the to bad part, if she didn't try and open the door, what was the dog protecting, sounds like it needed to be put down immediately for the protection of the public.

Note: Pepper spray is good, but it will not stop every dog every time. I have seen Police Officers spray dogs and it has no effect. I recommend if your walking, carry a stick/broom handle, pipe 20 inches or so with you for protection or a cane or something that doesn't look like a weapon (for legal reasons if that's a worry for some). It's the sure fire way to stop 99.9% of the dogs with a smack if your worried about shooting or in a situation where shooting might cause more problems, like other people around etc..etc...
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

SAMI,
    Thanks for sharing...glad the 'three' of you were OK.

Pepper spray IS an attitude changer.
    I'm not really afraid of big dogs here in our neighborhood (I know that they can do damage). Some have given chase, but not really causing a threat...the owners have always been close behind.
    In an unknown place, I would be much more concerned with an attacking dog. Most times, one can determine the difference between and outright attack and the dog's defending the home YOU are walking near. I would hate to shoot a dog, but if it's between the dog and me, the dog loses.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

IMO disclaimer...

From experience a kick to the head of a black lab should make him lose interest fast. Most Labs just don't really have the drive to bite (but they can).

As a patrol dog handler I used OC a lot when I encountered dogs while on calls. It really does work.

The other point and it may be hard for some to take is that your dog is just a dog. Your safety is more important. Whenever I encounter another unleashed dog I will unleash my dog to give him a fair chance at defending himself and allowing me to get a flanking kick in. Straddling the dog or still holding the leash takes you out of the fight.

Unless your dog is an absolute coward around other dogs and has zero defense drive in it, restraining your dog when another is "attacking" is a recipe for getting bit by yours and the other dog.

Most people don't understand dog behavior and freak out in a dog on dog encounter. You have to be ready for real bad but it is usually over in a short sniff.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Some scenarios remind me that my gun shouldn't even cross my mind. Of course a gun could be necessary in this type of scenario, but hopefully as a last resort. I've had run-ins with several dogs in my life. One situation involved 2 very large, very aggressive dogs that ran up to me snarling and ready to take me down and I was un-armed. I stood my ground and acted dominant toward them and they retreated. (not all dogs retreat of course) In your scenario, OC spray would be a good start here if the dogs didn't retreat. Even without spray, 3 adults can handle "most" (not all) dogs. I think I would only consider firing if the dog actually bit someone first. (sad to say, but in reality you can't shoot every barking/charging dog that scares you) We all know of plenty of dogs that are "all bark, no bite" But after biting, the scenario would start to get ugly. If you shoot the guys dog, you might have another fight on your hands, and who's to say he doesn't have a weapon of his own? Better be ready for that also.
    Last edited by romansten9; June 3rd, 2010 at 07:56 PM. Reason: corrected error

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links