Trying to fight while carrying.

This is a discussion on Trying to fight while carrying. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SIGguy229 If someone is acting in an aggressive manner towards me...I will work towards a retreat (especially if it's more than one)....the ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trying to fight while carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    If someone is acting in an aggressive manner towards me...I will work towards a retreat (especially if it's more than one)....the best way to win a fight is to avoid one. If unable...and I am carrying...I'm not giving the BG the opportunity to get a hold of my gun....if it means drawing it and backing away--so be it...if I can't get away...I will use the means at my disposal.

But if possible....it is best to avoid close-in fights...unless that works for you...
    x2..
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for the responses. I already had my own ideas of how I would react, but its nice to hear other opinions. The thing that gave me the idea for this topic was the other topic called: "I don't need to know self defense, I have a gun." Of course I don't agree that a gun is the only defense. I'm not sure why so many commented: "I haven't been in a fight since 7th, 9th, 12th grade." ?For the record, I haven't been in a fight since 8th grade. I don't see why that is relevant here? I think we all try to be "mellow" and avoid confrontations. You have to be when carrying. I'm talking about those aggressors that we all know are out there. It only takes one to start a fight. ("it takes 2" is a lie) I had a total stranger walk up to me in the mall and punch me for no reason. I walked away, but some people will corner you and force a fight. I always try to retreat first if possible. Worse case scenario, if I was cornered/outnumbered in a secluded area I might be forced to draw just to be able to retreat.

I am a big fan of the (hands up) "hey man...I don't want no trouble" followed by a quick non telegraphed jab to face when necessary. Some call it preemptive SD. This of course is preceeded by the "I'm sorry, excuse me" (walk away). If they choose to follow that's on them.

A swift kick in the nuts will piss your attacker off way before it hurts him. Try to keep this in mind "put something hard in something soft" aka finger in eye or key in eye, fist in throat.

Blading and practicing support side techniques is something to work on when training. Personally my lead leg front push kick or lead side verticle punch is a favorite type of technique in that situation.

Look at Bruce Lee and some JKD. From what I understand, correct me if I'm wrong. JKD practicioners put the strong side forward, however with a gun that isn't a good idea, BUT the techniques are very effective, practice them the support side and you have a good start.

Jason
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    especially given my size (small framed female), i cant really imaging a situation where someone is trying to hurt me, and i cant get away, but i am not in fear of my life. If possible, i would give a swift kick in the nuts and run off. If that can't be done, most likely I have found myself in a situation where lethal force is required.
    Not a female, not small framed, but if I can't run, I'm not fighting hadn to hand. Either I talk them down, or when they continue to escalate I draw.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    In a self-defense situation, the judge and jury do look in the disparity in size, strength and skill of the attacker and victim. And, since you are a small framed female, you have much more leeway in drawing a gun to defend yourself against an unarmed large guy than an armed defender that is much the same size as the unarmed assailant. A swift kick to the nuts? Do what you have to do. Self-defense is not a sport.
    Yep, if you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
    If you have to fight, fight like your life depends on it, because it may!

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to take the ass-kicking, he'll just shoot you."
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    Same here. My last major physical confrontation was in the 12th grade. Ever since I bought my first gun, I became a much more mellowed out person and more likely to avoid confrontations than to get in one.
    I'm the same way.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Do force on force training and work it out.

This isn't rocket science. This isn't exotic or difficult.

This is hours of work with a partner, some safety gear and a blue/red gun or an airsoft weapon - and the acceptance that your current plan may not work, and you will have to learn, adapt and maybe completely abandon things that don't produce results.

Buy Training at the Speed of Life - Volume 1 here: Armiger Police Training Institute: Training at the Speed of Life - Volume 1

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    OC spray for the win with the scenario you describe.
    +1 OC is before hands on in the force continuum outline.

1. Verbal
    2. OC
    3. Hands on
    4. Baton
    5. Firearm
    One more step and it's on!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK87 View Post
    "Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to take the ass-kicking, he'll just shoot you."
    I'm too old to fight...you're not getting my gun!
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; June 3rd, 2010 at 03:33 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I too old to fight...you're not getting my gun!
    And each year older you get is another point on the disparity of force scale.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by romansten9 View Post
    Some people say that its good to know self defense techniques that don't involve using a gun. I agree. But when carrying, it can get complicated. If someone threatens you with their fists, do you first try to retreat? (to not reveal that you have a gun) Some people might draw to prevent a fight, others would not. How do you fight while wearing a gun? Concealment is tough when you are moving during a fight. Someone close enough to fight is close enough to try a gun grab. It seems like the 2 are not compatible together. ...
    Actually, the TWO usually go hand in hand.

The "REAL" world truth is that most SD situations will at least require some HtH; even if it's only to deflect the initial attack long enough for you to grab your gun.

A BG can easily cover 20-25 feet before you can get out your gun and fire.

AND--

Most BG's are NOT going to let you see a weapon until they are within the "effective" range needed to use it.

So (at the very least), "some" Hth training is a VERY good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    Actually, the TWO usually go hand in hand.

The "REAL" world truth is that most SD situations will at least require some HtH; even if it's only to deflect the initial attack long enough for you to grab your gun.

A BG can easily cover 20-25 feet before you can get out your gun and fire.

AND--

Most BG's are NOT going to let you see a weapon until they are within the "effective" range needed to use it.

So (at the very least), "some" Hth training is a VERY good idea.
    While I agree with most herein, depending on circumstances, I do not agree with the following. "A BG can easily cover 20-25 feet before you can get out your gun and fire."

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK87 View Post
    Yep thats me............................... too old for an ass-kicking. Beware of the Judge.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links