Trying to fight while carrying.

This is a discussion on Trying to fight while carrying. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Some people say that its good to know self defense techniques that don't involve using a gun. I agree. But when carrying, it can get ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trying to fight while carrying.

Trying to fight while carrying.

Some people say that its good to know self defense techniques that don't involve using a gun. I agree. But when carrying, it can get complicated. If someone threatens you with their fists, do you first try to retreat? (to not reveal that you have a gun) Some people might draw to prevent a fight, others would not. How do you fight while wearing a gun? Concealment is tough when you are moving during a fight. Someone close enough to fight is close enough to try a gun grab. It seems like the 2 are not compatible together. If you are carrying and someone within 20 feet is threatening you, you need to draw your gun. He may have a knife or other weapon, or may get your weapon from you!

2. Remove Ads

OC spray for the win with the scenario you describe.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

if you are concealed carrying and in a fight the guy might not even notice a gun when touching you because of adrenaline etc.... A good fighter will also know how to protect their right side and retain their firearm. I'm certainly not going to draw on some dumb drunk throwing a sloppy punch at me if I can take them down without it.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I learned a long time ago that every fight I get into there is at least one gun involved, MINE!

I don't like getting in fights with, or over guns. Therefore unless I am duty bound to fight, I will do all I can to avoid getting in a fight. Weapon Retention Training has taught me that trying to retain your weapon sucks, but it beats the alternative. I find it best to not put myself in the position of having to defend control of my weapon.

When I speak of duty I am not referring to honor, or any of the other so-called bovine fecal matter. I am referring to statutory authority. I'd rather lick a stranger's spit off a sidewalk than attempt to retain control of my weapon in a fight. That doesn't mean I won't fight to maintain control of my weapon. It is to show how much I hate it due to the very real dangers involved.

If you are in the habit of getting into fights I don't think you will maintain control of your weapon for long, or will at some point if you do not have the statutory authority to be getting into those fights, be dubbed Bride of Mongo.

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; May 26th, 2010 at 02:10 PM. Reason: typo

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Like all scenerios, an endless line of "ifs" involved.

I haven't been in a "fight" since the ninth grade, and that was a looong time ago.

Here in FL. you can use deadly force against a threat of death or serious harm. I suppose you could say someone with 6' and 30-40 lbs on me could pose the possibilty of inflicting either, but I'd try to walk away. Failing that, I could use my firearm, or resort to the many dirty tricks in my bag. Either way, I don't think he'd look forward to seconds.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    If you are in the habit of getting into fights I don't think you will maintain control of your weapon for long, or will at some point if you do not have the statutory authority to be getting into those fights, be dubbed Bride of Mongo.

Biker
    Bride of Mongo! Now there's a thought that should help one toe the line.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I have not been a fight since 7th grade. I am polite and courteous and make my best effort to avoid escalating any confrontations and I avoid confrontation in general.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    What I would do, if there is sufficient time to do so, if a potential assailant approaches me for any reason is to have my body bladed, feet shoulder width apart, and both my hands at shoulder level with my palms open. While I would appear to be submissive to the assailant and other bystanders (will look good in a court later if they have to testify), my hands are up and ready to defend against a sucker punch of needs be. My bladed stance not only enables me to protect my groin from a vertical kick, it also gives me a stable platform for the Weaver stance if it comes to the point of drawing the handgun or some other non-lethal weapon (ex.=ASP/OC). I can also block, parry, sidestep, etc. Do what you can too such as fling a hot coffee or anything in your hand toward his/her face or spit on him/her as a distraction tool. In most reality based self-defense sytems, they call the submissive stance I just mentioned the "de-escalation stance" while the law enforcement community calls it the "field interview stance". Perhaps, there is another one that they taught in old school combatives but is still taught to a few clinics. This particular one is also bladed except one arm is held across the chest while the lead hand held on the chin to appear non-threatening yet you look like you are giving that person you undivided attention. From any of those stances, you can use pretty much a punch, kick, knee, etc. And also, remember to familiarize gun retention techniques for each concealed carry rig. If you are legally allowed to do so and there is sufficient time, have your OC with you when you exit the building or enter some suspicious territory. It is better to spray OC to stun/distract/incapacitate him/her to buy you enough time to escape or go for your other defensive tactics than just immediately use H2H which you might have to explain the bruises on the assailant to the judge. And, unless the assailant does not have a heart or lung condition, OC does not cause permanent damage and is more legally defensible. When you fight, do not go toe to toe, go for the most vulnerable parts you can reach such as the eyes, throat, groin, knee, side of neck, etc. There are no Queensbury Rules when you have to fight for your life. And use basic economical techniques rather than complicated ones that might cost you your life.

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    I have not been a fight since 7th grade. I am polite and courteous and make my best effort to avoid escalating any confrontations and I avoid confrontation in general.
    Same here. My last major physical confrontation was in the 12th grade. Ever since I bought my first gun, I became a much more mellowed out person and more likely to avoid confrontations than to get in one.

especially given my size (small framed female), i cant really imaging a situation where someone is trying to hurt me, and i cant get away, but i am not in fear of my life. If possible, i would give a swift kick in the nuts and run off. If that can't be done, most likely I have found myself in a situation where lethal force is required.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    Same here. My last major physical confrontation was in the 12th grade. Ever since I bought my first gun, I became a much more mellowed out person and more likely to avoid confrontations than to get in one.
    My wife...years ago...was opposed to my first weapon purchase...

But I got my CCP (in Texas) and she found that is what happened to me...I became much less agressive...calmer...more mellow...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm
    What I would do, if there is sufficient time to do so, if a potential assailant approaches me for any reason is to have my body bladed, feet shoulder width apart, and both my hands at shoulder level with my palms open. While I would appear to be submissive to the assailant and other bystanders (will look good in a court later if they have to testify), my hands are up and ready to defend against a sucker punch of needs be. My bladed stance not only enables me to protect my groin from a vertical kick, it also gives me a stable platform for the Weaver stance if it comes to the point of drawing the handgun or some other non-lethal weapon (ex.=ASP/OC). I can also block, parry, sidestep, etc. In most reality based self-defense sytems, they call this the "de-escalation stance" while the law enforcement community calls it the "field interview stance". Perhaps, there is another one that they taught in old school combatives but is still taught to a few clinics. This particular one is also bladed except one arm is held across the chest while the lead hand held on the chin to appear non-threatening yet you look like you are giving that person you undivided attention. From any of those stances, you can use pretty much a punch, kick, knee, etc. And also, remember to familiarize gun retention techniques for each concealed carry rig. If you are legally allowed to do so and there is sufficient time, have your OC. It is better to OC to stun him/her to buy you time to escape or go for your other defensive tactics than to use H2H which you might have tp explain the bruises on the assailant to the judge. And, unless the assailant does not have a heart or lung condition, OC does not cause permanent damage and is more legally defensible.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Good Post Jason
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

If someone is acting in an aggressive manner towards me...I will work towards a retreat (especially if it's more than one)....the best way to win a fight is to avoid one. If unable...and I am carrying...I'm not giving the BG the opportunity to get a hold of my gun....if it means drawing it and backing away--so be it...if I can't get away...I will use the means at my disposal.

But if possible....it is best to avoid close-in fights...unless that works for you...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    especially given my size (small framed female), i cant really imaging a situation where someone is trying to hurt me, and i cant get away, but i am not in fear of my life. If possible, i would give a swift kick in the nuts and run off. If that can't be done, most likely I have found myself in a situation where lethal force is required.
    In a self-defense situation, the judge and jury do look in the disparity in size, strength and skill of the attacker and victim. And, since you are a small framed female, you have much more leeway in drawing a gun to defend yourself against an unarmed large guy than an armed defender that is much the same size as the unarmed assailant. A swift kick to the nuts? Do what you have to do. Self-defense is not a sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    Ever since i've begun practicing the martial arts i've realized more and more the best case is to not have to fight at all...and there are only a few things in life worth fighting over.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links