Teens pointing fake guns @ motorist

This is a discussion on Teens pointing fake guns @ motorist within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by gasmitty In all likelihood, a jacketed hollowpoint. That reminds me of a quote I saw from a sniper in Iraq; a journalist ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Teens pointing fake guns @ motorist

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    In all likelihood, a jacketed hollowpoint.
    That reminds me of a quote I saw from a sniper in Iraq; a journalist asked him "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist?" The sniper replied "Recoil."

The topic it hand is really just about bad parenting in my opinion. My parents are both ex-LEOs and my dad was a Marine in 'Nam. They taught me about firearms when I was around four years old, I KNEW never to even act like I was going to point anything that looked remotely like a firearm at anyone or anything or risk the consequences, and they gave me stories from the time they were LEOs to back it up.

On that note the one story that sticks out in my head is never carry an uncapped pen or pencil in your front pockets while in a car, my mom responded to a call for a car accident and the boy in the passenger side was singing tenor from then on because of a nice #2 pencil in his

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinNEPA View Post
    I especially liked this line from that article "'They cut a life too short for not thinking outside the box,' Maria D'Amato added."

I'm glad she can think outside the box in the split second it takes for a firefight to commence. Most people are not gifted with that ability.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by b1780 View Post
    What the **** is wrong with kids these days. If a gun is pointed at me, I am assuming the threat is real and will react accordingly. Why would someone think pointing a gun, toy or not at someone is a joke? I am at a loss for words.
    It's not just kids these days. Almost 40 years ago I was a teenager working at a store similar to Target, as a cashier. Some young punk came into my line (no one behind him), pulled out a toy gun and pointed it at me, said something (I was too shocked to remember it), then set it down on the counter, started laughing, and walked out.

I was
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    if an adult is pointing a gun at you, real or fake, and this is not in a play or something that uses props and scripts to which you have willingly submitted, how does (s)he have no culpability? Was he pointing at what he thought was thin air when you came out from your invisibilty cloak? I am interested in your thoughts on this
    I did not say he was pointing the gun at me.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I did not say he was pointing the gun at me.
    OK, fair enough, you did not say it was pointed at you. I made this assumption because you noted that you nearly killed someone because of the way they were using a toy gun. I would assume that to get this reaction, the person must have pointed the gun at someone you felt obligated/entitled to protect. I jumped to the assumption that this person was you - sorry for the assumption.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    OK, fair enough, you did not say it was pointed at you. I made this assumption because you noted that you nearly killed someone because of the way they were using a toy gun. I would assume that to get this reaction, the person must have pointed the gun at someone you felt obligated/entitled to protect. I jumped to the assumption that this person was you - sorry for the assumption.
    That either, sorry for the confusion.
    3AM traffic stop East LA, one male occupant. Make the approach and immediately see a 2" .38 on the floor between the drivers feet. He starts to reach for the 2", I draw my 27, 3-1/2" to his temple yell. "FREEZE" and start squeezing. Yell, "STOP", halfway through the trigger he stops and so do I. Get him out of the car. It turns out to be a very realistic looking toy gun. He says the wife and kids used the car earlier in the day and must have left the toy gun in the car. He knew it was a toy and was reaching for it to show me it was a toy. Discuss the trouble with his actions. He thanked me for not shooting him, took the toy gun dropped it in the street and jumped up and down on it, smashing it. I got the impression that there would be a discussion on toys when he got home.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'll bet that they are really good boys who are in the process of getting their lives turned around...

Sounds like a GREAT prank if you want to get shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by sammage View Post
    Darwin candidates.
    ^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^I agree^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I read something like this and I have to wonder; what do you suppose the last though through the kid's mind was?

^^^^Darn, I don't think I have all my homework finished^^^^No?

In the unlikely event that I pulled a toy gun on someone I would hope I had the sense to drop it if they reached for a real one

Quote from article
    Deputies rushed out, stopped the car and pulled out their own guns.

It turns out the gun the teens had was a fake.

They said they were just "fooling around."

^^^^^^^^^A recipe for an untimely demise^^^^^^^^

Dummies.
    Can you imagine how stupid the parents would feel , as they went to pick up their MENSA member from the police station after this?
    WoW. Dummies
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member

Holy Crap'oley!!!!

3AM traffic stop East LA, one male occupant. Make the approach and immediately see a 2" .38 on the floor between the drivers feet. He starts to reach for the 2", I draw my 27, 3-1/2" to his temple yell. "FREEZE" and start squeezing. Yell, "STOP", halfway through the trigger he stops and so do I. Get him out of the car. It turns out to be a very realistic looking toy gun. He says the wife and kids used the car earlier in the day and must have left the toy gun in the car. He knew it was a toy and was reaching for it to show me it was a toy. Discuss the trouble with his actions. He thanked me for not shooting him, took the toy gun dropped it in the street and jumped up and down on it, smashing it. I got the impression that there would be a discussion on toys when he got home.
    Situational awareness goes both ways. Good thing for the both of you, you were thinking straight that night.
    WoW!
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    OK, makes sense. I suspect you are right about the conversation when he got home. Glad it worked out well for all.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links