My Mistakes

This is a discussion on My Mistakes within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am staying at my grandma's house for a week while my apartment gets fumigated, her house is small, the three bedrooms are literally right ...

Thread: My Mistakes

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar

My Mistakes

I am staying at my grandma's house for a week while my apartment gets fumigated, her house is small, the three bedrooms are literally right next to each other upstairs and thats it. The dog is downstairs either sleeping, eating, playing, or just simply being a dog. Around 0045 last night, she started barking like something was dying and there was a strange noise coming from the back yard, grabbed my gun, and went to check on my mom and grandma across the hall, they were both awake and ok, so i got them into the same room, handed my mom the security six i keep there and cleared my downstairs, which consisted of the living room, which i was able to clear from the stairs, the dining room, and the kitchen. everything was clear, so i made sure the doors to the porches were locked, (we have two back porches, there is the one that is more of a hallway between the house, the garage, and the actual backporch, and we have a front porch) i went back upstairs, called out the safe word, and went back into the bedroom my mom and grandma were in, and waited for the cops to come and clear our garage and porches, and the area around the house. My main concern was making sure noone had penetrated into the actual house, once i was sure of that, i felt secure, and im sure my family did too. I know clearing the house is a "very very bad idea" and had it just been me i wouldnt have. My grandma is 82, my mom is in her early sixties, and neither of them really have a grasp of self defense. hopefully this can get my mom to go with me to the range and get her permit. After that, i was awake untill 4am because of the adreneline. I still dont know what the dog was alerting too, but she has a steak in her future.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

2. Remove Ads

Overall it sounds like you did pretty good.
    It might have been better to stay upstairs, rather than clear the house, but not knowing your background and experience, I will not arbitrarly condemn it. When I was young and working "the streets", I cleared the house every time we (the family) returned home, befor the family entered.

I'll assume from your post that your Mom has no training with a firearm. I don't know if my first choice would have been to hand her a gun while I left the room. The safe word was a good idea though.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    she knew enough to operate the firearm, and she knows firearm safety, my grandmother did not, i did not want to leave them defenseless in case the tango got past me and headed upstairs
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Senior Moderator
    I think you did good, but might have waited for the cops to clear the downstairs.

I don't know your home layout, so I've might have done the same thing that you did.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    did great...i agree that if youre gonna involve the police it may have been wise to wait for them to clear the house but it sounds like a pretty simple and open setup to do so...you would have had to cross harms path to let them in anyway but they might have scared the perp away at that point anyway...

good call with mom and gram in the room together and the safe word...as long as they understand a cop might not know the safe word and in the event something happens they are gonna have to let a cop in....cause we're not supposed to shoot them...but if they stay on the line with 911 they would be informed if cops are in the house...

Links