Here is a new one.

This is a discussion on Here is a new one. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This actually happened in Chicago if you'll remember, in '08. It weighed around 150lb.s Here's the link,,,,,, kare11.com | Twin Cities, MN | Cougar shot ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Here is a new one.

VIP Member
    This actually happened in Chicago if you'll remember, in '08. It weighed around 150lb.s

Here's the link,,,,,,
    kare11.com | Twin Cities, MN | Cougar shot in Chicago neighborhood was a wild animal

CHICAGO -- Animal control experts say the cougar Chicago police shot and killed on the city's North Side is apparently a wild animal that didn't escape from captivity.

I think a call to the boys would be in order, unless it was about to attack someone, and you had no other choice but to go at it with a SD caliber pistol.

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our street will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" Adolf Hitler, 1935
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    OK...

Is she hot?
    Quote Originally Posted by Back 40 View Post
    You soooo read my mind!
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    The only cougars I've seen around here are driving Jaguars
    ^^^Smart allecks^^^^^^^^^^

I like your evil minds!!

Is a gambling problem still a problem if you always win?
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    so, lots of humor came from this thread, and a lot of good info, Gun Bunny, thats the news story that prompted this thread, i was sitting at work last night and the thought entered my head
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I would sit in the truck and take pictures.
    Semper Fi

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    The only cougars I've seen around here are driving Jaguars

12 gauge pump is my first thoughts only if someone, or myself was being charged/attacked....
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Well..... around here (small small town) everyone is out walking between 5 p.m - 7:30 p.m, or sitting outside and waving at everyone as they go by.

I go out to take a walk. NO ONE is around anywhere... not walking , not in their lawns, not on their porches.... and I'm thinking this is totally weird.

Well, about 1 mile from here a guy owns lots of Tiger, some Lions, etc. He has now turned it into a Zoo.

Anyhow, I get home.... and my wife (now EX) is there and says , "oh, you may not want to go walking , they reported one of the Lions got out and was seen on the edge of town... they're still trying to find it".

OK, apparently I was the ONLY one who didn't get that word. I wondered what the heck I would have done if I had turned a corner and saw an African Lion standing there.

When they found the Lion, they opened the door to a large crate and said he just casually walked over and got into it. They shut the door and took him home. So, at least he was amiable to humans and wasn't hungry.

I've run into 3 cougars. One was while climbing a mountain side in Southern New Mexico and he took up following me and cutting off my path. He got within about 15-20 yrds, stopped, smelled, looked at me... then turned and walked back the way he came. Weird. All I had on me was a good knife, so I'm glad he was apparently only wanting to check me out.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Given that it is from the zoo, sick or starving don't seem to make much sense..
    Huh...missed that little detail.

Nevamind!
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

btw, zoo animals and other animals in captivity are more dangerous that their wild counterparts in this respect: they have lost their fear of humans. They are very familiar with us and see us as sources of food, etc.

I lived with a zookeeper for more than a decade. I've been in the back areas where they bring the lions in to feed, doctor, separate. It was just bars between me and them (no moats or anything)....and they were terrifyingly aggressive. As mentioned earlier...I've also met up with one in the wild....a very different experience.

Also been side by side with hippos...those suckers are the size of toyota station wagons (or vehicle at the time) and just as tall. OTOH, they really appreciate their treats and are more than happy to walk up to you, open their mouths, and have you just heave produce in! Including pumpkins and watermelons.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    ok, it is late at night, you are sitting in either: your truck filling out paperwork, sitting in your squad car running radar, doing security, whatever might have u sitting in a parking lot for extended amounts of time. You are obviously armed. Its an inner city area, and there have been reports of a cougar loose from the zoo. Suddenly you look to your left and there is the cougar at the intersection near you. Obviously for a second you have the "HOLY S***, A COUGAR!!!!" reaction. The cougar starts coming down the street towards you, slowly stalking down the street. it turns the corner into your lot, do you shoot it, could you legally shoot it? i personally would be in fear of my life if i saw a cougar, not to mention i would need new underwear and pants. What are your thoughts?
    you are sitting in your vehicle and you fear for your life?...is this an automobile friendly cat that knows how to open the door and attack you?...just saying...

i dont think anyone is gonna argue that shooting an animal that has no business being on the street is gonna get you into trouble....my biggest consern being getting close enough for a sure shot...a 9mm or .45 round isnt necessarily going to put a good size cat down in a hurry unless its a damned good shot....and we dont need a wounded animal running around....

i'm thinking unless i am law enforcement...and we would know the escaped animal is out and have instructions to deal with such...i would be making a call to 911, observing and guiding leo toward the cat...otherwise i am cozy in my vehicle and enjoying the show....

Senior Moderator
    I would roll up the windows and call 911, then take pictures
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

If I was in the car...I'm staying in the car. We have a pretty large cougar population in the mountains around my house. Not too worried about them as they really try to avoid humans. I've never seen one... But like 9MMare pointed out...a zoo cougar would likely be much more dangerous. The 2 that live in the SLC zoo are freaking huge...I never want to have a standoff with a wild one or otherwise. I'd prefer to never have to take a shot at one in self defense...but I do take the .45 instead of the 9mm when hiking (largest caliber I currently own).

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    mk, for discussions sake, lets say the window of your truck was broken out two nights ago by vandals, or it is a manuel window that is hard to crank up quickly, now what do you do since the cat has a way into your vehicle
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    mk, for discussions sake, lets say the window of your truck was broken out two nights ago by vandals, or it is a manuel window that is hard to crank up quickly, now what do you do since the cat has a way into your vehicle
    you have 2 flat tires and the parking police have booted your vehicle so you cant drive anywhere and your arms and legs are wrapped with steaks...

VIP Member
    I hear cougar cooks up real nice and goes well with a white wine.

OK seriously, I would just enjoy watching a beautiful animal and call it in. There is no possible way you could be in fear for you life while in an automobile.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Well..... around here (small small town) everyone is out walking between 5 p.m - 7:30 p.m, or sitting outside and waving at everyone as they go by.

I go out to take a walk. NO ONE is around anywhere... not walking , not in their lawns, not on their porches.... and I'm thinking this is totally weird.

Well, about 1 mile from here a guy owns lots of Tiger, some Lions, etc. He has now turned it into a Zoo.

Anyhow, I get home.... and my wife (now EX) is there and says , "oh, you may not want to go walking , they reported one of the Lions got out and was seen on the edge of town... they're still trying to find it".

OK, apparently I was the ONLY one who didn't get that word. I wondered what the heck I would have done if I had turned a corner and saw an African Lion standing there.
    When they found the Lion, they opened the door to a large crate and said he just casually walked over and got into it. They shut the door and took him home. So, at least he was amiable to humans and wasn't hungry.

I've run into 3 cougars. One was while climbing a mountain side in Southern New Mexico and he took up following me and cutting off my path. He got within about 15-20 yrds, stopped, smelled, looked at me... then turned and walked back the way he came. Weird. All I had on me was a good knife, so I'm glad he was apparently only wanting to check me out.
    I would have crapped my pants on the spot! Then I would have pulled out my pepper spray, hosed myself down with it and hoped he didn't like spicy food.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links