Here is a new one.

This is a discussion on Here is a new one. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; talked to my wife about an hour ago...she was walking our dog (9 pound yorkie...hint...thats snack size) and encountered a large bobcat crouched and watching ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Here is a new one.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    talked to my wife about an hour ago...she was walking our dog (9 pound yorkie...hint...thats snack size) and encountered a large bobcat crouched and watching the dog from around the corner of a neighbors house...she armed rthe pepper spray and wlked calmly back to our house and inside..the bobcat moved to our vehicles in the driveway and observed from under one...

damn!..the dog must have looked like a nice little snack...lots of rabbits in our neighborhood..whenever the bob shows up the rabbit population seems to decline...

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Such a tough question but unless you had time to restrict all human presence, & fast, in the area (like getting everyone inside or in vehicles and then closing off area), it's likely you'd have to shoot. If you lost track of it and it disappeared, the chances are too high it would harm someone or someone's pet (which might get the owner involved.)

I would hate to see it shot, but chances are it's sick or starved...alot of young cougars feed on pets and come into higher population areas because they have been squeezed out of a territory, their habitat shrinking...and they end up interacting with humans.

I've been face to face with a cougar at about 30 ft. It was an amazing experience and he was beautiful and non-threatening.
    Are you an environmentalist that so happens to like guns? (JK)
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

mkh
    I think these "what if" scenarios are getting out of hand. Too many of them describe outlandish situations that are unlikely to happen. You don't know how you will respond.

Let the flames begin.

Quote Originally Posted by guardmt View Post
    Are you an environmentalist that so happens to like guns? (JK)
    I have a degree in resource management and was a park ranger for many yrs....including the wilds of Central Park in Manhattan

I also lived with a zookeeper for more than a decade.

And yeah, I am an environmentalist.

The enviromental movement received a great deal of support and political influence in the early 1900's from hunters, esp. duck hunters...and Teddy Roosevelt.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I would make sure she wasn't my best friends mom and if she wasn't invite her for a drink.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by INccwchris
    mk, for discussions sake, lets say the window of your truck was broken out two nights ago by vandals, or it is a manuel window that is hard to crank up quickly, now what do you do since the cat has a way into your vehicle

"you have 2 flat tires and the parking police have booted your vehicle so you cant drive anywhere and your arms and legs are wrapped with steaks...?
    -bladeenbullet

have you heard the word of jigsaw lately?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Administrator
    I'm not sure the simple presence of a cat would rise to the level of using my pistol to defend myself. If you are a one trick pony and that is your first or only course of action, I'd strongly recommend you put more tools in your box your leave firearms alone.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    im just wondering at what point, without me getting out of the vehicle, could i be lawfully covered to shoot, in addition, could dispatch ask me to shoot the cat? obviously i think i can outdrive a running cougar, but still..............what if shes in a corvette or a porsche
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    Obviously for a second you have the "HOLY CRAP, A COUGAR!!!!" reaction. The cougar starts coming down the street towards you, slowly stalking down the street...
    Personally I'd ask her for a drink, not sure about ya'll.

edit: ok so now i see another smarty pants comment but this was honestly my first reaction

Why are you in fear for your life? Didn’t you say you were in a vehicle of some type? I’d call the police and let them deal with it unless it was attacking a pedestrian.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links