Robbery on campus this morning

This is a discussion on Robbery on campus this morning within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; On UF campus. Strong arm robbery reported on UF campus | Gainesville.com 1) Why do people put themselves in these situations? 2) Do you think ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Robbery on campus this morning

Robbery on campus this morning

On UF campus.

Strong arm robbery reported on UF campus | Gainesville.com

1) Why do people put themselves in these situations?

2) Do you think the frequency of these instances would happen if UF was not a gun-free zone?

2. Remove Ads

Strong arm robbery reported on UF campus

By Karen Voyles
    Staff writer

Published: Monday, May 31, 2010 at 2:05 p.m.
    Last Modified: Monday, May 31, 2010 at 2:05 p.m.
    A strong arm robbery was reported Monday on the University of Florida campus.

According to police, the male victim notified them at about 8 a.m. that he had been robbed at 3 a.m. near Norman Hall and Southwest 13th Street.

The victim told police he was walking through the pedestrian tunnel when he noticed three other males who were also in the tunnel. The victim said that while he was leaving the tunnel, he was hit in the back of the head and fell to the ground and then his attackers took his possessions and fled.

According to police, the victim did not notice any weapons on the trio and his only injury was the blow to the head.

The only description the victim was able to give police was the men were white and had been wearing dark clothing.

Anyone with information about the incident is encouraged to contact the UF Police at 392-1111.
    There's no law against being out at 3 a.m., but you won't normally find me out walking at that time.

And waiting until 8 a.m. to notify the police? I wonder why.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Like they say, nothing good happens after midnight.
    Sounds a bit suspicious. Would a gun have made a difference? I doubt it. Having a gun doesn't always stop a robbery, and the vic made no mention of the assailants having one.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Probably intoxicated and got rolled (if that is still the term). Too embarrassed to go to the police.
    Gun laws are not a factor in this type of thing because there was no gun. It's not like the BG's were ignoring the gun law and the GG sufferred for observing it.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    There's no law against being out at 3 a.m., but you won't normally find me out walking at that time.

And waiting until 8 a.m. to notify the police? I wonder why.
    Grady, I'm with you as to the time of night. But it is a college campus, and sleep is something you do in class, not at night.

And 5 hours to report? Something wrong there, IMO.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Like they say, nothing good happens after midnight.
    Are you joking? The kid is in college, the party doesn't START until 11:30.

I go to a college in NC. They charge an arm and a leg for parking, so many of the students park their cars on the street in the neighborhood next to campus. I used to live in that neighborhood. There are at least 3 or 4 armed robberies a month on campus or just off of campus. A couple of times the robbers shot the unarmed victim (not fatally) AFTER they stole their laptop/wallet/etc.

I cannot think of a situation on the street where I would readily pull my gun and used it when I already had a gun in my face, but around campus I would do it in a second (if they let us carry). Those boys don't play.

Of course they target students coming off of campus for a variety of reasons. They probably have a car, they might have a laptop, etc. But I would say one major reason is they DEFINITELY do not have a gun, in fact they don't even have a little knife, because that could get them in trouble on campus too. I think if someone is deemed responsible enough by their state to carry concealed elsewhere, they should certainly be allowed to do so on a college campus. Hell, aren't those college kids supposed to be the smart ones?

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    are you joking? The kid is in college, the party doesn't start until 11:30.

I go to a college in nc. They charge an arm and a leg for parking, so many of the students park their cars on the street in the neighborhood next to campus. I used to live in that neighborhood. There are at least 3 or 4 armed robberies a month on campus or just off of campus. A couple of times the robbers shot the unarmed victim (not fatally) after they stole their laptop/wallet/etc.

I cannot think of a situation on the street where i would readily pull my gun and used it when i already had a gun in my face, but around campus i would do it in a second (if they let us carry). Those boys don't play.

Of course they target students coming off of campus for a variety of reasons. They probably have a car, they might have a laptop, etc. But i would say one major reason is they definitely do not have a gun, in fact they don't even have a little knife, because that could get them in trouble on campus too. I think if someone is deemed responsible enough by their state to carry concealed elsewhere, they should certainly be allowed to do so on a college campus. Hell, aren't those college kids supposed to be the smart ones?
    amen

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Why would any sane person with a lick of self-preservation sense walk into a tunnel at night when he can see three men loitering in it?
    Hakkaa päälle!

Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    Why would any sane person with a lick of self-preservation sense walk into a tunnel at night when he can see three men loitering in it?
    He didn't know he had a "KICK ME" sign on his back? Or should that be "PICK ME?"

He's lucky he only got a bump on the head!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    Are you joking? The kid is in college, the party doesn't START until 11:30.

I go to a college in NC. They charge an arm and a leg for parking, so many of the students park their cars on the street in the neighborhood next to campus. I used to live in that neighborhood. There are at least 3 or 4 armed robberies a month on campus or just off of campus. A couple of times the robbers shot the unarmed victim (not fatally) AFTER they stole their laptop/wallet/etc.

I cannot think of a situation on the street where I would readily pull my gun and used it when I already had a gun in my face, but around campus I would do it in a second (if they let us carry). Those boys don't play.

Of course they target students coming off of campus for a variety of reasons. They probably have a car, they might have a laptop, etc. But I would say one major reason is they DEFINITELY do not have a gun, in fact they don't even have a little knife, because that could get them in trouble on campus too. I think if someone is deemed responsible enough by their state to carry concealed elsewhere, they should certainly be allowed to do so on a college campus. Hell, aren't those college kids supposed to be the smart ones?
    Agreed!

Sounds like my school in NC; I get emails weekly of crimes on campus and in off-campus apartments. Only my school doesn't seem to care about knives, I see clips on people's pants all the time.

The victim seems to have something hide by not reporting until 5hrs later.

And you thought the class work was tough !! Another reason that colleges(and I don't know speciffically about UF)must fight for right to carry laws. The savages don't stick up cop bars and gun stores but travel to "gun-free/victim full" zones to do their deeds.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

I'll attest to that. Another one from NC currently enrolled in college. When I was living on campus it wasn't uncommon to have 4-5 robberies on side streets, in the middle of campus, or forced entries in dorms. Hell, I came back from spring break on my birthday and found all the doors on my suite kicked in and substantial things taken. I lost a laptop that I was about to have repaired for my cousin and my dvd collection. My roommates lost a lot more. Most of these robberies are of course armed.

Few of the 'real' incidents on the UF campus ever reach the news...that's a fact.
    I live only a few miles from that campus, and I know many who live, work, and attend classes in that area......lots of dirtbags roam the area.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

ink
    I think every urban college campus suffers from crimes like these. Lots of "kids" who dont know much about the world mixed in with lots of criminals looking for an easy target (of which there are many in such an environment)

I attended college in a place like this with robberies and kidnappings and murders happening all the time and as funklab mentioned earlier would often be required to park blocks away in bad neighborhoods because sometimes that was the only parking available period! You can bet that every night when I was walking back to my car after my late classes getting out (around 9 to 10pm) my head was on a swivel and constantly checking everywhere around me so nobody could sneak up on me and have me be the next guy on the news the next morning that was attacked, robbed, or worse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links