Situation from last night-What would you do?

This is a discussion on Situation from last night-What would you do? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi Everyone, Here is a situation that happened to my girlfriend's family last night. I was pretty stumped by this one and wanted to see ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Situation from last night-What would you do?

Situation from last night-What would you do?

Hi Everyone,

Here is a situation that happened to my girlfriend's family last night. I was pretty stumped by this one and wanted to see what the rest of you might do if faced with such an incident.

Setting: 3AM in a Fort Lauderdale, FL suburb (not a great area).

Her family was awakened by the dog barking and someone banging on the door. When they went to investigate at the front door there was a woman outside bleeding, being beaten by a man, and screaming for help. She was trying to enter the house but the door was locked (I guess I am finally getting through to them about locking the door.) My girlfriend's family opened the door and let the woman in. The assailant, upon seeing 2 men tough-looking men inside, turned tail.

Once inside, my girlfriend's sister screamed that they would be calling the police. The woman appeared to be very dazed and possibly under the influence of drugs or narcotics. My girlfriend's mother went to call 911 and the woman refused, stating that she had Rx pills on her and no script on her (sure...). She simply wanted to use the phone to call a friend and arrange a ride home. The family complied and she left soon after.

What would you have done?
    Last edited by big country; May 31st, 2010 at 08:12 PM.

2. Remove Ads

I would call the police. It is my house, and not her call.
    CowGirlUp36 likes this.

Same. I wouldn't want to held liable for anything later, to my surprise. I'd want to be the first to talk to the cops, to at least have something on record if it involves me.

VIP Member
    +1 on what TangoMonkey said.

Its not the victims choice. The family witnessed a crime. They should report it.

The call would have been made way before I'd open the door, If I'd open it at all
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I'm calling 911 regardless. If she wants to leave before they arrive so be it but I'm still making the call.

I completely agree with calling 911 right away. It would have been the first thing I did if I were there.

I am more interested to see what everyone would do about the man beating the woman. They told me that he was throwing rocks at her and she was bleeding from the face. What if the beating turned increasingly violent? Would you intervene? Why or why not?

If he beat feet the moment I opened the door I'm not going to chase him down the road. If he was to continue to beat on her I'm going to intervene. In what way I cannot say without it happening but he most likely would have been looking down the business end of my Glock 27.

I'm not going to watch any man beat on a woman. Well I should not call him a man. A real man would never beat up a woman.

I would be calling 911 at the first sign of trouble...the screams outside the house. By the time she was in the house, the cops could, hopefuly, have been there.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I agree with the previous posters.

I would suggest a heightened state of alert by the family for a couple weeks, should the perp be unhappy by the intervention. Possibly request patrol checks by the local units for a week or two.

Distinguished Member
    I agree with mosts of the posters.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    If he was to continue to beat on her I'm going to intervene... he most likely would have been looking down the business end of my Glock 27.
    Show your Glock to your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    I'm not going to watch any man beat on a woman. Well I should not call him a man. A real man would never beat up a woman.
    What do you call a woman who would take the stand against you for protecting her from aggravated assault?
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

VIP Member
    YEP
    the boys would have gotten a call-in from me. Not her call to make. she says no, throw her back out to the wolves

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

911 immediately! Advise POLICE ON THE WAY, do not open the door. Could have had a few more people outside view of the door waiting for you to open the door!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    I agree with mosts of the posters.

Show your Glock to your enemies.

What do you call a woman who would take the stand against you for protecting her from aggravated assault?
    I would show my Glock to a coward, not an enemy.

She is one that needs help because until she gets it she will never get off the drugs or leave an abusive relationship.

Even if this woman hates me for taking action I don't care. I'm not going to watch a man beat on a woman. It is not something I can allow myself to do. Even if she is begging for me to not call the police I'm going to take action.

Distinguished Member
    That is an intervention.

I'm with the majority on this one.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links