Good way to get killed!

This is a discussion on Good way to get killed! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in Northern VA not too far from the initial incident, and was listening to the all-news station from DC when the first "Amber ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good way to get killed!

I live in Northern VA not too far from the initial incident, and was listening to the all-news station from DC when the first "Amber Alert" went out...

The description include the fact that the girl was 16 - 17 yearsold...had a complete Rhode Island license plate number...

Someone got and passed on good info to LE...

I agree with those who say get that info, but don't just wade in with weapon drawn...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

2. Remove Ads

It could have been a kid on drugs and the family was trying to rescue her and send her to some sort of boot camp. You can never be sure. Call 911 and get a tag number or follow them relaying locations via cell phone until the cops can catch up.

Im so glad Im able to absorb some of these random scenarios and hear how different people would respond.

This one is just so bizarr, but I don't honestly think I could say that I wouldn't have gotton involved. The way she was protesting, it looked like a kidnapping. Those family members seem rather immature, and really could have put her at risk.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    I witness something similar several years ago on a local shopping mall lot. I called the police and stayed on the line with the dispatcher so she would be able direct the responding officers accordingly. Worked out fine for all concerned. Also turned out to be some friends hijacking another friend for grins.

No harm no fool. I would done the same in this situation.
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MSteve View Post
    This is a difficult position for the family. As is, they look like abductors, but what's the alternative? Just let her run loose into who knows what? Then we end up with a real amber alert and parents being acused of neglect, etc.
    I'm not sure what the DA thinks he'll charge them with. Unless they beat her to get her in the car, I'm pretty sure securing your child is not against any laws, though her being 17 could be the issue. She might be legally old enough to have refused to go. It depends on their state's laws.
    According to Virginia law she is still a minor. Age of majority in Virginia is 18. Not sure what the DA is thinking of charging the family with.

As far as the incident, call 911, give any and all details that you can.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

One thing nobody has pointed out is the fact there is no audio. I'm pretty sure the reason why the bystanders just keep walking by is I bet the conversation sounded something like "No Mommy or Daddy don't make me move away from my friends" or something similar. I'm sure there was no reason to doubt these people were her parents just by the words exchanged during the struggle. Just a guess on my part.

Reading this reminded me of another one I saw.

2 men, grab a woman and force her into a car along the highway...... one of the men commence hitting her. They are all about 35-40 yrs old.

I called police, got tag number, and followed at safe distance without them realizing it. Police caught up to them and pulled them over. They discovered, the woman was an "EX" , and the ex-husband was taking her out in the country ..... "saying all the way he was going to kill her". He was armed and had a rifle in the trunk as well. The other man took a deal if he testified against her EX - husband. Oh, they also had a shovel in the trunk for digging a grave.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    EagleKS you were much calmer than i would have been, my niece is 9 and my nephew is 15, i also have an 18 year old niece, and a 19 year old nephew, the 18 and 19 can handle themselves, if someone grabbed my one of my nieces or nephews, they would meet my XDM, weather or not they met a .40 hollowpoint is up to them
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I have to agree. If a stranger snatched one of my kids (8 and 1) out of my car, they'd be staring down a barrel before my kid's feet hit the ground. People just don't go putting their hands on someone else's kid without expecting it to go over poorly.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Is there a good way to get killed? I'd rather pass on any way to get killed.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Is there a good way to get killed? I'd rather pass on any way to get killed.
    +1
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    OldVet, good way to look at it, you're right, anytime we all go out with our CCW, we run the risk of having to do something that will haunt us. Macho stuff aside, we do have to remember the consequinces of a shoot, good or not good

btw, that is a great picture for you to have of your father, you must be very proud of him
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I honestly don't understand why some people feel the need to get involved with anything just because they carry a gun. That is what the Police are paid to do. You get involved doing the right thing, you get the tables turned around on you then you are charged. Just dial 911 and end of story. Being an armed civilian isn't a bullet proof vest.
    One more step and it's on!

Police are paid to solve the crime and arrest the perpetrators. They, technically, have no reason nor mandate to prevent a crime, in progress or not.

I would try to stop this whether or not I had a CCW. While calling 911 on the cel...

Now again, we have no audio...

If the words of the "attackers" and the "abductee" told more of the whole story, and enough of it for me to understand what is going on... I would NOT get involved...

And since I never saw the "abductees" mouth covered in the video, it's quite likely that the verbage from all participants "explained" the situation well enough to the "bystanders that apparently did nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieShoot View Post
    I have a hard time believing that any state would give a minor the ability to prevent the family from moving to another location.

I'd think any competent court would tell the brat to suck it up and deal with it until she turns eighteen.
    +1. The girl needs to grow up!
    Life isn't always exactly what we want it to be, but you have to learn to deal with it without acting like a spoiled brat!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links