Man shoots, kills grizzly in Alaska

This is a discussion on Man shoots, kills grizzly in Alaska within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; From the AP: "ANCHORAGE, Alaska— A backpacker shot and killed a grizzly bear with his handgun in Alaska's Denali National Park, officials said. A man ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Man shoots, kills grizzly in Alaska

Man shoots, kills grizzly in Alaska

From the AP:

"ANCHORAGE, Alaska— A backpacker shot and killed a grizzly bear with his handgun in Alaska's Denali National Park, officials said.

A man and woman reported that they were hiking Friday evening when the bear emerged from trailside brush and charged the woman, park spokeswoman Kris Fister said in a statement.

The man fired nine rounds from his .45 caliber, semiautomatic pistol at the animal, which then stopped and walked into the brush.

The two reported the shooting to rangers, who restricted access to the Igloo Canyon area for fear that the bear was wounded and dangerous.

On Saturday, rangers found the dead bear about 100 feet from the shooting site."

Well, there you go, it CAN be done! He did what I would have done: shoot and keep shooting.

2. Remove Ads

The man fired nine rounds from his .45 caliber, semiautomatic pistol at the animal, which then stopped and walked into the brush.

i think i need a bigger gun
    jersey no more.. im a texan now

Methinks that wandering in grizzly country might require some heavier artillery.

Might be a good reason to get a 10mm?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

The reason that they sruvived is that while eventually lethal, the rounds did not irritate the bear enough to charge.

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    The reason that they sruvived is that while eventually lethal, the rounds did not irritate the bear enough to charge.
    Sorry, I have to disagree... I believe that the bear, after being peppered 9 times with a .45, decided that these 2 were not worth it. They did get lucky, but the .45 did it's job.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

That is also possible.

Honestly, he needed to be carrying an extra mag or two. If some bear won't go down on 9 .45 shots, I'd be carrying at least an extra mag if not another gun. ...and she'd be carrying one, too.

Wait just a minute. You mean to tell me that a standard defensive round and not a revolver weighing 20lbs and firing a miniball stopped a Grizzly in it's tracks?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

How many of the nine hit. Maybe the guy only hit once. :)
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

VIP Member
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I was wondering, did he have hollow points or fmj? I have read that fmj is better since it penetrates the animal more, but then HP's might do enough damage to the internal organs to stop the thing. also, where did he hit it? if he hit it in the brain, then maybe he was lucky, a head shot would kill it. but if not, it just bled to death? no details in this story. one thing I was thinking, say if this grizzly had you on the ground and your about to be bitten to death, at least with a hand gun, you could theoretically put the gun right to his head and shoot with the bear on top of you. whereas if all you had was a rifle, and your rifle has been knocked out of your hands or is tangled up and you can't really point it cause this bear is already on you, the hand gun would be better. these bears are very fast, and can be on you quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by fredgarv View Post
    I was wondering, did he have hollow points or fmj? I have read that fmj is better since it penetrates the animal more, but then HP's might do enough damage to the internal organs to stop the thing. also, where did he hit it? if he hit it in the brain, then maybe he was lucky, a head shot would kill it. but if not, it just bled to death? no details in this story. one thing I was thinking, say if this grizzly had you on the ground and your about to be bitten to death, at least with a hand gun, you could theoretically put the gun right to his head and shoot with the bear on top of you. whereas if all you had was a rifle, and your rifle has been knocked out of your hands or is tangled up and you can't really point it cause this bear is already on you, the hand gun would be better. these bears are very fast, and can be on you quickly.
    Fredgarv,
    I imagine that, since the bear walked about a hundred feet before collapsing, bleeding was the cause of death. Whatever ammo he was using, he did the right thing: he shot 'til he was empty.
    There has been a lot of debate about adequate firepower for bear, so, when I saw this, I posted it just to show what can be done with a rather weak (for bear) caliber.
    Good point about the rifle. Better yet to bring a friend and BOTH have .460s or something like it!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Relying on any handgun of any caliber to stop a charging griz is taking your chances. In this case, he is fortunate indeed.

When I lived there, a man was attacked by a griz, and as the bear was gnawing on the guy's head, he pulled out a .357 Mag revolver, shoved the barrel into the bear's mouth, and emptied it. The bear stopped, shook its head, and wandered off, never to be found alive or dead. Yeah, it got the bear off him, but only with six shots at point blank range.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Relying on any handgun of any caliber to stop a charging griz is taking your chances. In this case, he is fortunate indeed.

When I lived there, a man was attacked by a griz, and as the bear was gnawing on the guy's head, he pulled out a .357 Mag revolver, shoved the barrel into the bear's mouth, and emptied it. The bear stopped, shook its head, and wandered off, never to be found alive or dead. Yeah, it got the bear off him, but only with six shots at point blank range.
    Yes! Of course, anytime you step out your door, you're taking a chance. The trick is finding a balance between caution and freedom of movement. It's akin to the balance between weight and firepower.

If you REALLY want to put a bear down for sure the gun to have would be something like a Minigun; but then you would need a crew just to haul the thing around. So, the point of the handgun is to have something reasonably lightweight and powerful that you can get to in a hurry, Right?

I was told not to backpack with anything less than .44 Mag
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links