Theoretical shoot no shoot situation - Page 2

Theoretical shoot no shoot situation

This is a discussion on Theoretical shoot no shoot situation within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Guantes Mistakes, even dumb ones do not necessarily negate your right to self defense. Going by the information given: You have someone ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Mistakes, even dumb ones do not necessarily negate your right to self defense.

Going by the information given:
    You have someone commiting a crime, which is often a felony (auto theft) in addition to putting your life in defenite, if not immediate jeopardy. If he got away and you died and the facts came out he would possibly be charged with man slaughter of one level or another.

While I would hope to not make such mistakes, I would take the shot. I'm not dying out there because someone wants a ride. I would consider it justified on the information given.

Being out west (desert) I think your chances of a satisfactory legal outcome would be pretty good, at least compared to back east.
    I'll go with this answer also, unless the desert is in California, then I'd rather take my chances with the desert!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Shoot em, let the coyotes eat them, shoot the coyotes, and let the buzzards eat them... shoot them, and let the mountain lions eat them.... follow the mountain lions and they will show you where the heck they are getting meat to survive on other than buzzards, then shoot the moutain lion... and take his food.

then go home.

Or, put in a remote activated kill switch for the ignition ??

They used to hang horse thieves back in the late 1800's. Why? Because stealing a man's horse in a remote location could very well lead the the man's death!

Today, I don't get out of my truck in the desert without a survival kit worn on my person, and I take the keys with me. I've played similar scenario's in my head before.

Now granted, I haven't been in the desert in several years, however, I always have a wearable survival kit when in remote locations, plus my BOB in the truck.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    They used to hang horse thieves back in the late 1800's. Why? Because stealing a man's horse in a remote location could very well lead the the man's death!
    Bark'n,

You read my mind.

I was thinking the same thing as I read through this thread, and while I think a valid argument could be made for shooting the person that steals your form of transportation in the desert, I would not want to tempt fate in a courtroom.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    you shoot yourself for being so unaware that you allowed someone to approach you in the middle of the desert without noticing....***?...

take the shot...its gonna ba a forcible felony when you tell the police you tried to stop him but he overpowered you and took the vehicle...cause youre not going to want to admit that a guy just showed up in the middle of the desert and drove away in your vehicle while you were busy staring at something else...

"OK, so you got lost in the desert hunting coyote, you've been wandering for days and all of the sudden... you come across a vehicle with the keys in it! Saved!!!! So, you hop in and floor it, knowing that food and drink are just a drive away and some a******** starts shooting at you! Do you keep driving or turn around and blow him away??"

he was standing right outside the vehicle when you got in according to the op...if you werent smart enough to ask him for a ride then you deserve to be shot....

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    OK, OK! Here's one... You're on the surface of the moon and you only have one tank of air. A spotted zebra comes by and tries to steal your PB&J sandwich. Do you....
    definitely shoot the zebra

for the OP, i'd shoot someone stealing my car in the middle of the city. if it was the desert, there would just be less explaining to do.

Quote Originally Posted by bomber View Post
    definitely shoot the zebra

for the OP, i'd shoot someone stealing my car in the middle of the city. if it was the desert, there would just be less explaining to do.
    You may want to study your states legal use of deadly force laws.

If you think there is less explaining to do just because you shot someone in the desert, you might want to look at the Harold Fish case in AZ.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Get the latest version of Grand Theft Auto for your X-Box and keep playing games.
    Proud NRA member

Well Ill give my honest opinion on this laughable "scenario" and I use the term scenario VERY loosely....

You are in a desert hundreds of miles from civilization including any roads. All your forms of communication and gear are on the truck that you are driving. you are outside of your truck looking at something and someone gets in your truck and steels it.

If you are driving in the middle of BFE (BUM FU*K EGYPT) and you dont notice the only other person other than you for hundreds of miles and dont find that suspicious you have more problems then your truck getting stolen... Also how the HELL do you leave keys in the truck somewhere like that?

Assuming that you did not set up with a person to check in with every night so that no-one is expecting to hear from you for several days. This now places you in a position where it would be impossible to walk to safety and live nor is someone going to come and rescue you unless it is by chance.

If you are going into a desert or ANYWHERE else where your return time is uncertain or there are factors that can cause you to become stranded or something you ALWAYS tell someone, this was the first STUPID mistake in a long line of them

Would one be justified in shooting the person steeling your truck as it is that action that will eventually cause you to die of dehydration.

You were stupid enough to stop there near the suspicious person and leave the keys in the truck which is obviously unlocked AND you were unaware of EVERYTHING around you... Its like the dog in the beggin strips commercial...Loses all concentration on EVERYTHING once the treats come out...

My sig line speaks perfectly for this situation:
    If your head is up your %*$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Last edited by SteveinNEPA; June 3rd, 2010 at 08:59 PM.
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

Somebody that went in the desert without telling anyone and allowed someone to steal his truck, phone and supplies probably deserves whats coming to him.

Quote Originally Posted by snip View Post
    You are in a desert hundreds of miles from civilization including any roads. All your forms of communication and gear are on the truck that you are driving. you are outside of your truck looking at something and someone gets in your truck and steels it.

Assuming that you did not set up with a person to check in with every night so that no-one is expecting to hear from you for several days. This now places you in a position where it would be impossible to walk to safety and live nor is someone going to come and rescue you unless it is by chance.

Would one be justified in shooting the person steeling your truck as it is that action that will eventually cause you to die of dehydration.
    No one tried to steal my truck....what guy?...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    No one tried to steal my truck....what guy?...
    Ahhhh... but you didn't see the Predator UAV overhead which was monitoring the desert for illegal aliens, which photographed you kill and bury the guy and then sent the GPS coordinates of the exact location of the shallow grave to the Border Patrol along with zoom photos of you and your license plates.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I don't do bars, or deserts...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I don't do bars, or deserts...

How about cocktails in the " 'glades" with the gators? eh? What about that Ret?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Ahhhh... but you didn't see the Predator UAV overhead which was monitoring the desert for illegal aliens, which photographed you kill and bury the guy and then sent the GPS coordinates of the exact location of the shallow grave to the Border Patrol along with zoom photos of you and your license plates.
    If I know there is a Predator overhead (), then I will use the CSAR signals spelled out in the SPINS and await rescue...then I will call my friends at Nellis and have them track the truck...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links