Theoretical shoot no shoot situation

This is a discussion on Theoretical shoot no shoot situation within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You are in a desert hundreds of miles from civilization including any roads. All your forms of communication and gear are on the truck that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Theoretical shoot no shoot situation

Theoretical shoot no shoot situation

You are in a desert hundreds of miles from civilization including any roads. All your forms of communication and gear are on the truck that you are driving. you are outside of your truck looking at something and someone gets in your truck and steels it.

Assuming that you did not set up with a person to check in with every night so that no-one is expecting to hear from you for several days. This now places you in a position where it would be impossible to walk to safety and live nor is someone going to come and rescue you unless it is by chance.

Would one be justified in shooting the person steeling your truck as it is that action that will eventually cause you to die of dehydration.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by snip View Post
    Would one be justified...
    No, I don't think this would be a case of self defense.

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    You are in a desert hundreds of miles from civilization including any roads.
    Where did this person come from?

You are in open desert, how did you not see him when you stopped?

Why did you stop if you saw him?

Would one be justified in shooting the person steeling your truck as it is that action that will eventually cause you to die of dehydration.
    No, next time, take the keys with you.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Lock your truck.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Sorry Snip, but you've got to hit us with a little better question my friend.

Other then that, just to go along with this scenario, oh heck yes, I'm not dying in the desert for no one, hit him, bury him and press on. It's a desert who's going to find him? Ok to be serious here, being a desert, you probably would be justified in shooting them if you could.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

OK, so you got lost in the desert hunting coyote, you've been wandering for days and all of the sudden... you come across a vehicle with the keys in it! Saved!!!! So, you hop in and floor it, knowing that food and drink are just a drive away and some a******** starts shooting at you! Do you keep driving or turn around and blow him away??
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

VIP Member
    OK, OK! Here's one... You're on the surface of the moon and you only have one tank of air. A spotted zebra comes by and tries to steal your PB&J sandwich. Do you....
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    OK, OK! Here's one... You're on the surface of the moon and you only have one tank of air. A spotted zebra comes by and tries to steal your PB&J sandwich. Do you....
    Yes, Timmy, I DO!... happened just last week, in fact.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

realistically now, I'd push my remote blow up my own dam truck button! But, if what I was lookin' at was yet ANOTHER UFO come to abduct me, I'd go ahead and let 'em... providin' they'd promised not to do those nasty probes agin'...

Mistakes, even dumb ones do not necessarily negate your right to self defense.

Going by the information given:
    You have someone commiting a crime, which is often a felony (auto theft) in addition to putting your life in defenite, if not immediate jeopardy. If he got away and you died and the facts came out he would possibly be charged with man slaughter of one level or another.

While I would hope to not make such mistakes, I would take the shot. I'm not dying out there because someone wants a ride. I would consider it justified on the information given.

Being out west (desert) I think your chances of a satisfactory legal outcome would be pretty good, at least compared to back east.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    That's too easy!! You throw your saddle on your monkey and chase down that darn zebra.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    Sorry Snip, but you've got to hit us with a little better question my friend.
    I was trying to come up with a situation where someones actions will result in your death but not directly. I know that this one is very flawed and easily avoidable but i was trying to see how people here would respond in a situation similar to this where there action will kill you just not directly like someone shooting or stabbing you. Then also do people think that it would actually successfully be defended in court.

And I can solve the person problem. you went with a co-worker who is secretly mad at you for "steeling" their promotion and wants to kill you for it and tell you that before they drive off. OK that was cheesy and lame but it was the first thing i could think of.

And I can solve the person problem. you went with a co-worker who is secretly mad at you for "steeling" their promotion and wants to kill you for it and tell you that before they drive off. OK that was cheesy and lame but it was the first thing i could think of.
    Easy, shoot before he can get to the drivers door and bury him... I want his office too

Srsly tho... You are hundreds of miles away from anything... No body, no crime. But even if they managed to find the body, it is self defense. As long as it isn't California desert. If it is CA, then you are required to run away from the "friend" who is driving away in your truck.
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

This is even easier. You have an attempt at premeditated murder, admitted by the perp.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links