Man walks in with gun in his hand - Page 2

Man walks in with gun in his hand

This is a discussion on Man walks in with gun in his hand within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The customer should have put the gun in a paper bag and told the Employee behind the counter what his intentions were before taking the ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Man walks in with gun in his hand

The customer should have put the gun in a paper bag and told the Employee behind the counter what his intentions were before taking the gun out of the bag.

You just can't fix stupid....
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    Maybe I missed it, but unless the OP can tell us why the guy apparently, purposely, carried a handgun in a holster in his hand, behind his back and out of view while approaching the counter, and placed it on the counter, I'm calling BS :/

No way that guy wouldn't have given an explanation.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    he said he had it behind his back so as not to alarm anyone, he was wearing athletic shorts, and came in for an alternator, he set it on the counter because he couldnt get his wallet out with it in his hand, or so he said.

"Can you articulate why you believed that you, or another person, were in fear of imminent death or serious physical injury?

That is almost always what the use of deadly physical force boils down to.

From your perspective did the subject have?:
    Ability (he had a firearm in hand)
    Opportunity (there was no shield between you and him; he was within the range of the weapon)
    Manifested intent (he pulled the firearm)"

sorry, cannot recall who posted that quote,
    Ability- firearm was in his right hand, alibeit in a holster
    Oppurtunity, the firearm was within his reach and actually in his reach
    Manifested intent, i could argue both sides, it was still holstered so it probbabley would have been provable that there was no intent because of the holster

And permit, no permit, holster no holster, if i see an open carried firearm on the belt, in a shoulder rig, in a holster no problem, someone walks in with a gun in hand, holstered or not, im in orange at that point
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Guy walks into a retail auto parts store with a gun (not on his hip). Yep.... retreat and draw my own weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911PKR View Post
    Guy walks into a retail auto parts store with a gun (not on his hip). Yep.... retreat and draw my own weapon.
    I'm with this ^^^ act before he does, his actions were threatening.

But still, you encountered an idiot. Had you prepared to defend yourself, who's to know he wouldn't feel threatened and all of the sudden your family has to remember the Alamo.
    Crime should be outlawed.

I think I would immediately be putting space between us and preparing to draw (but not yet). Assessing the situation further. If I worked there, I would already know where cover was.

Except that no job I've ever had allowed me to carry a gun.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    without seeing it unfold and the demeanor of the idot carrying the gun its hard to say what actions would be prudent...but in many states this is brandishing whther its in the holster or not...it belongs in your pocket or on your belt and it is not displayed until intent is communicated...a guy walks in to my store carrying what i can easily identify as a gun in his hand and i am not taking chances until i know what is going on...

thats an invitation to get shot in some places....

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    In Ohio the act of even touching your gun during a traffic stop is breaking the law....... the idiot described had the gun in hand What would I have done? Hard to say... if the guy seemed like he had intent I would have definitely gone for cover. If not I would have polity asked him to retreat to the restroom to fix his conundrum so he doesn't scare more customers away.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    he said he had it behind his back so as not to alarm anyone, he was wearing athletic shorts, and came in for an alternator, he set it on the counter because he couldnt get his wallet out with it in his hand, or so he said.
    Well then that guy is simply a moron. Even if it's legal, which it is in some cities/states( I think it only applies to antique type pistols), it's a really bad idea.

Working in a gun shop is a little different, but the first thing I do when someone lays a firearm on the counter is take control of the weapon. Seems the same thing would have worked here - take control of the weapon, then figure out how the hell it ended up on your counter!
    What the **** - How did I end up on this soapbox again?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by 1911PKR View Post
    I'm with this guy! My gun would be drawn and I'd be yelling commands the second I saw the gun not properly holstered, i.e. on his belt as the holster is intended to be used. Would I shoot? No, not unless I thought he was going to point his gun at me.

Now, the guy's overall demeanor does play a big role here but anyone that is carrying a gun in hand walking into a retail store is either a BG or crazy and I don't want any part of either!

I agree with those that said to look at the behavior of the person. When I work as a Paramedic, my biggest clue in a situation is the attitude of the patient and the people around the area. If people are real nervous it gets my attention that I might need to act quickly. I stay calm because the last thing people need is a nervous Paramedic. The sight of a gun doesn't bother me. I love guns. The sight of a gun held by a person that doesn't know what they are doing, or that has a bad attitude/evil intent in another thing altogether. Those of us that believe in the carry of guns need to keep our story straight. Guns are not the enemy and guns do not kill people. Its all about the attitude of the person that might decide to pull the trigger. If we start fearing guns, we are as bad as the anti-gunners. If somebody pulls out a gun inside a holster, I might say "Nice gun, can I have a look at it?" If someone pulls out a gun and points the business end of it at me, I will find cover and draw my own. Those are 2 entirely different scenarios. We need to train so that we recognize how entirely different these 2 scenarios really are.

To add to my previous post, the customer could have used better judgment. The holster should have been secured before leaving his vehicle, if not sooner. If it came loose for some reason while he was walking into the store, he should have kept it concealed and returned to his car or found a restroom.

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout
    That dude gives idiots a bad name.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links