Man walks in with gun in his hand

This is a discussion on Man walks in with gun in his hand within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Strange behavior on his part....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Man walks in with gun in his hand

Distinguished Member Array old grunt's Avatar
    Strange behavior on his part.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

2. Remove Ads

Why did he carry his gun into a retail store in a holster in his hand. Did he tell you or did you ask?

Quote Originally Posted by 1911PKR View Post
    Guy walks into a retail auto parts store with a gun (not on his hip). Yep.... retreat and draw my own weapon.
    Yes Sir done

Quote Originally Posted by narcberry View Post
    I'm with this ^^^ act before he does, his actions were threatening.

But still, you encountered an idiot. Had you prepared to defend yourself, who's to know he wouldn't feel threatened and all of the sudden your family has to remember the Alamo.
    If pulling out a gun in a holster is threatening, then I guess every time I'm at the gun range and a stranger pulls out a gun I should feel threatened??? Yes, I agree that the auto parts store is not a gun range, but we are talking about a stranger pulling out a gun in a holster and not acting aggressive in behavior, not yelling/demanding anything, and not pointing it at anyone. We should fear the person, not the gun. We need to read the behavior, body language, etc of the PERSON. Guns do not harm/kill people! People do! If seeing a gun in a holster with a calm person holding it causes people to be afraid, I guess there are some mighty trigger happy people out there that are afraid of guns! We are gun lovers, why are we afraid of guns?? Sounds like a good thing to train on.

Quote Originally Posted by romansten9 View Post
    If seeing a gun in a holster with a calm person holding it causes people to be afraid, I guess there are some mighty trigger happy people out there that are afraid of guns! We are gun lovers, why are we afraid of guns?? Sounds like a good thing to train on.
    Good point! I certainly would not be afraid, but it is kind of an odd thing to do in an auto parts store.

If pulling out a gun in a holster is threatening, then I guess every time I'm at the gun range and a stranger pulls out a gun I should feel threatened??? Yes, I agree that the auto parts store is not a gun range, but we are talking about a stranger pulling out a gun in a holster and not acting aggressive in behavior, not yelling/demanding anything, and not pointing it at anyone. We should fear the person, not the gun. We need to read the behavior, body language, etc of the PERSON. Guns do not harm/kill people! People do! If seeing a gun in a holster with a calm person holding it causes people to be afraid, I guess there are some mighty trigger happy people out there that are afraid of guns! We are gun lovers, why are we afraid of guns?? Sounds like a good thing to train on.

NOPE! A responsible and reasonable gun owner does NOT walk into a retail establishment with a pistol that's not holstered on his hip. I'm ALL for open carry, which we have here , but I think there's a responsiblity to other people which we as gun owners have to consider. Even in the "wild west" days, this would have been considered "bad manners" at best and got you shot at worst. His actions cause people to get shot,... and that's not what we want as gun owners.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I guess some people are just jumpy. I suppose that comes from living in fear.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I guess some people are just jumpy. I suppose that comes from living in fear.
    OK.... I'll confess. I work in the WORST part of town with BAD people. "Jumpy" is one word for it, I prefer "condition yellow".

but we are talking about a stranger pulling out a gun in a holster and not acting aggressive in behavior, not yelling/demanding anything, and not pointing it at anyone.
    I disagree, the situation is an auto parts store where a stranger walked in with a gun in a holster in his hand. I cannot judge his demeanor as I wasn't there (and it wasn't described).

Based on that alone, I like the suggestion to either take control of the weapon when it was set down or draw my own gun.

Just curious, is there a way to complain about certain permit holders to the authorities (probate court?) without filing a police report?

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    In Florida, that is brandishing, if the business owner, or a customer don't shoot, cops might.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

I would say what may work in that situation if your brain is quick enough to process it and you see its in a holster would be to trap or snatch the weapon if he laid it on the counter, getting it out of reach of the person. Create distance, draw your weapon and order him to the ground and find out why he had his gun like that.

This is just my initial thoughts. Probably what is more likely to happen is what you describe. JMO

Jason
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

After reading some posts my first one sounds kind of irrational. I did not consider voice levels and tones and things of that nature. I was focused on "GUN!"

I'm still sticking to my thought of trapping the gun down or creating the distance between him and the weapon even if you do not draw.
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I would have said, "Well normally we don't take trades and only deal in cash, check or credit card, but if that's a Sig I'll make an exception. Does it come with the holster?"

He put a holstered gun on the counter. Pick it up, end of threat that I don't really think was an intentional threat. More of an absent minded act. Stupid, IMO, but not intentional.

Snatch the gun from the counter grasshopper.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    i agree with the snatching the gun idea, but what if he had started a fight with me once i grabbed it?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Just like movement, its better if you have a distraction, then act.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links