restraining an intruder in your home

This is a discussion on restraining an intruder in your home within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 9MMare I'll hold them at gunpoint if necessary and call or continue talking to 911. But if they take off, I'm not ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: restraining an intruder in your home

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    I'll hold them at gunpoint if necessary and call or continue talking to 911. But if they take off, I'm not shooting them. I may follow to get a plate number.

If I'm not holding him/them at gunpoint, there's less chance LE will shoot me.
    I would suggest that following them out into the dark is considerably more dangerous than detaining them in the house.

I think that there is little chance of that if you explained the situation on your 911 call.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I would suggest that following them out into the dark is considerably more dangerous than detaining them in the house.

I think that there is little chance of that if you explained the situation on your 911 call.

I take the possibility of being shot by LE fairly seriously and will definitely ask 911 to tell responders I'm a woman.

OTOH, my barn is right next to my gate and I would be afraid they'd shoot or injure my horses out of spite (it's an open sided barn). Depends on the actual situation but I may very well do so. If there have been gunshots fired, my renters (young naval couple...well armed and trained) would be out there (or covering the front of the house) as well. We have discussed some strategies.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Three of you armed and trained does give you considerably more options.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Three of you armed and trained does give you considerably more options.
    Agreed but I do recognize at least some of the dangers. I'm sure there are more....and sometimes it's just her and me when he's deployed but she's been shooting since childhood.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    KEEP YOUR DISTANCE!!!

Unless you have a cover partner you shouldn't be restraining anyone. The old saying, "distance is your friend" holds true in this scenario.

As to holding or letting go, hold if possible, but if someone has a weapon and enters my home univited the chances of getting to run are pretty small. If they do run I'll let them go.

Biker
    I couldn't agree more. I also would refrain from running out after them if they take off. You have no idea if they have a partner/s waiting outside in a getaway vehicle or just waiting outside on your front porch. Also stay alert as they may be more of them in your house or more that may enter to come to the rescue of their friend.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

First things first: if a BG who has broken into your house is stopped by you and runs away, only to flag down a cop and tell a story--what do you think that story is? Not to mention, I'm sure you're going to be on the phone with 911 with a description of the BG. Who has the more believeable story? Someone like you? or someone with a (probable) criminal record?

Second, LEOs sometimes have a tough time restraining someone....I'm not sure I would attempt it (or have family members attempt it)...especially with a non-compliant BG. Why? Because now you are putting a friendly in the line of fire (if not properly trained). If someone has broken into my house, I am assuming they are there to do me or my family harm. The only way they are running away is because I missed--and my wife will be on the phone with 911 with the play by play.

I think you're looking for a solution in search of a problem.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

We are not police, and not obligated to give commands if he is holding a weapon. He who hesitates is lost...

Ohio is a Castle Doctrine State. 'Nuf said.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

If I did end up in a situation with a bad guy on his knees and me having him at gunpoint waiting for a cop... im pretty darn sure i would just do that. tell him not to move, etc.
    If for some reason I knew it would be a long time before the cop got there, and my hubby was home, I may throw him a pair of cuffs, etc (maybe find some pink fuzzy ones just for humor) and tell him to put them on and tight. That way I can at least relax a LITTLE (though obviously wouldnt much).
    Certainly would not go near the guy though.
    I sure as heck also would not tell the guy to get out or start running. Anyone breaks into my house, most likely they would end up bleeding, or best case (for them) in jail.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Quote Originally Posted by jzattack View Post
    If an intruder comes into your home, armed or unarmed, and they surrender to you, would it be a good idea to cuff him or tape him up to keep him from doing such a thing? Is it even legal to restrain an intruder if he surrenders and complies with you?
    Just keep in mind that cuffing a dangerous person is...well...dangerous. It is for trained LEOs. It would potentially be for you too.

I wouldn't be too worried about a scenario where the guy tracks down a police car to tell them that he broke into your house and you pulled a gun on him.

Hold them at gunpoint and call the police, if they want to run away, let them...if they make any move that is not away from you...shoot em...
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Let me just add:

Any movemrnt after given the command to, "DON'T MOVE!" will be seen as a lethal threat and treated accordingly if they are in my home.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Let me just add:

Any movemrnt after given the command to, "DON'T MOVE!" will be seen as a lethal threat and treated accordingly if they are in my home.

Biker
    Including turning to run away?

If they break in...all bets are off...1) they must be deaf from their rap music or 2) they are methed out and think they are superman cuz at that point they have 3 large dogs attached to them! At that point if they are not running out the door, they will be picked up by the coroner! I am not an LEO, I was not trained to be! I leave that for the professionals, they do a fine job! My job is to keep my family safe!
    God Bless the troops...especially the snipers!
    -LaRue Tactical -

Unarmed or not, once he crosses a physical barrier into my home, he dies....

We are not talking.

We are not negotiating.

And he won't have any time to run out the door.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links