Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

restraining an intruder in your home

11K views 112 replies 48 participants last post by  HotGuns 
#1 ·
You're sleeping in your house, and awakened by a noise. You pick up your gun, and find a burglar. You point your gun at him, he puts down his weapon if he is carrying one, but if unarmed, he puts his hands up and gets on his knees. Or, if he runs out of your house, he may signal down an LEO and claim to have been threatened by you. The LEO goes in, and a dispute goes on to determine who is right after you claim you had a break in. It is hours before it is determined you were right, and the intruder is taken into custody. You might have been taken downtown in that time.

If an intruder comes into your home, armed or unarmed, and they surrender to you, would it be a good idea to cuff him or tape him up to keep him from doing such a thing? Is it even legal to restrain an intruder if he surrenders and complies with you?

#106 ·
No...that's not a combination.

That's a whole 3rd category of people.

If you've got the training & experience to back up your choice, and the skill to accomplish it, and truly recognize the dangers involved...then you are probably dam good at what you are do.

#109 ·
I would hold the BG at gunpoint (at a distance, mind you), and if they want to run, they'll get to try to outpace a Doberman, a GSD and a Border Collie simultaneously. Sounds like fun to me. Right.

I'd never get close to a BG on purpose.

#110 ·
This thread was extremely interesting! This is actually the first time I actually took the time to read all six pages. Anyway, as for my personal experience, its a little... unique. I have two homes. I spend every other week with my girlfriend at her home and the opposite week at my original home, which my parents still live. If someone breaks into my girlfriend's home, being we are both deaf, either the BG or I will die. I will never hear the BG break in. If I wake up in the middle of the night and come face to face with someone, I'll take a minute to see if I recognize him. If I don't, I'm going get my gun and will shoot, if I'm not shot already. If I do recognize him or if its the police (as has happened before), I'll just go change my shorts. Now, if this happens at MY home with my parents, then I'll just never bother waking up. My dad and our dogs will take care of everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.