restraining an intruder in your home - Page 3

restraining an intruder in your home

This is a discussion on restraining an intruder in your home within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wouldn't get anywhere near him ... make him lie on the floor, make sure his weapon is out of his reach ... wife has ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: restraining an intruder in your home

I wouldn't get anywhere near him ... make him lie on the floor, make sure his weapon is out of his reach ... wife has already called 9-1-1, put up your gun when the cops arrive and adios, BG ... the odds are that if I find somebody in my house with a gun in his hand, I won't wait to see if he plans to surrender, but if the stars are all aligned for him, we'll all survive the experience and the taxpayers will arrange for his room and board ...
    "Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." Claude Bastiat

"Neatness counts, but bullets often count more." Elvis Cole, World's Greatest Detective.

VIP Member

+2 ctsketch

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    Hold them at gunpoint and call the police, if they want to run away, let them...if they make any move that is not away from you...shoot em...
    If I had an option, I'd give them a chance to run. I want them out of my house and away from me. Every second I try to hold a dangerous person is a second I am exposed to danger. So, either take them out the first second you have an opportunity, or give them a chance to get out.

Ideally, maybe hold them till you hear the sirens.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    If I had an option, I'd give them a chance to run. I want them out of my house and away from me. Every second I try to hold a dangerous person is a second I am exposed to danger. So, either take them out the first second you have an opportunity, or give them a chance to get out.

Ideally, maybe hold them till you hear the sirens.
    Yeah, i'd like to ad that my first thought would be to shoot the intruder. its dark and you don't know if they have a weapon or not. if somehow they drop to the ground before I shoot, i'm holding them there or they better be running away. Lead might be following them out the door if adrenaline is pumping...
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by jzattack View Post
    You're sleeping in your house, and awakened by a noise. You pick up your gun, and find a burglar. You point your gun at him, he puts down his weapon if he is carrying one, but if unarmed, he puts his hands up and gets on his knees. Or, if he runs out of your house, he may signal down an LEO and claim to have been threatened by you. The LEO goes in, and a dispute goes on to determine who is right after you claim you had a break in. It is hours before it is determined you were right, and the intruder is taken into custody. You might have been taken downtown in that time.

If an intruder comes into your home, armed or unarmed, and they surrender to you, would it be a good idea to cuff him or tape him up to keep him from doing such a thing? Is it even legal to restrain an intruder if he surrenders and complies with you?
    Before I answer your question, let me say this....If I am awakened by a noise in my house, pick up my gun, and identify someone as a burglar, then I am prepared and WILL protect myself, my family, and my home AND will do so with out any questions being asked. You can read between the lines as to my actions.

As to your question, if someone were to detain a burglar, then I would recommend they call 911, make the dispatcher aware that you are armed, take a defensive position, and be aware that more than one person couild either be in the house or outside waiting on their friend, and wait for LEO to arrive. At the slightest indication of the detainment situation going downhill, then do what is necessary to protect yourself and your family. Under no circumstances would I try to restrain the individual. JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Senior Moderator
    You're sleeping in your house, and awakened by a noise. You pick up your gun, and find a burglar. You point your gun at him, he puts down his weapon if he is carrying one, but if unarmed, he puts his hands up and gets on his knees. Or, if he runs out of your house, he may signal down an LEO and claim to have been threatened by you. The LEO goes in, and a dispute goes on to determine who is right after you claim you had a break in. It is hours before it is determined you were right, and the intruder is taken into custody. You might have been taken downtown in that time.

If an intruder comes into your home, armed or unarmed, and they surrender to you, would it be a good idea to cuff him or tape him up to keep him from doing such a thing? Is it even legal to restrain an intruder if he surrenders and complies with you?
    And a continuation of the scenario:

You approach the intruder to cuff or tape him, having never had any training in how to do so safely. While you are attempting this maneuver, having cleverly placed yourself within arm's reach, the intruder grabs your firearm, and a struggle ensues. A round is discharged, and goes.... who knows? Into the intruder? Into you? Through the wall into the kids' room?

There is a reason the police will hold a person they suspect to be armed at gunpoint from an advantaged position and await backup before attempting to search / cuff the suspect.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by tbrenke View Post
    my castle, my rules...
    tape and cuffs not needed.
    this.

the likelihood of a bad guy running out of your house and finding a cop and telling him that he was in your home but that you threatend him with a gun is so remotely thin, its laughable. the last place a bad guy wants to be is in front of a cop. besides, if a badguy saw me with my gun, he also saw several bright flashes of light and hopefully not much else.

There are no "rules" after breaking into my HOME....PERIOD

There's no talking, no "restraining", no running, and no "visitin'" me again in the near future. He/they are IN...my home. The have broken into it, and my only assumption is that they are there to do me harm, not come in and make a friggin' sandwich. This is not going to end well.
    Stop acting like we're fightin' for "freedom". We are ALREADY....free.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Let me just add:

Any movemrnt after given the command to, "DON'T MOVE!" will be seen as a lethal threat and treated accordingly if they are in my home.

Biker
    +1. ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Bandolero View Post
    Including turning to run away?
    He wouldn't be "turning to run away" because once he moved... BANG!! There would only be movement after I warned him not to move. There would be no full turn and no running. There would be no way to know he was going to run and in a lethal force encounter I'm not going to wait to find out his next move. His intentions were clear when he broke into my home and there are no second chances (for either of us).

As to the restraining part: I think that all of the weight of the buckshot in his torso should keep him down until the police arrive. C'mon now, lead is heavy! Can I get an Amen?
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Do you REALLY want to be the guy standing between a criminal and his freedom?

Do you REALLY want to be in that fight were the other side has more at stake than you do?

Let them go.

Let them run.

Either shoot them when it's justified, or allow them to leave.

Either way, you do not risk yourself for no reason - and that's what close combat while armed is.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    +1. ^^^
    He wouldn't be "turning to run away" because once he moved... BANG!! There would only be movement after I warned him not to move. There would be no full turn and no running. There would be no way to know he was going to run and in a lethal force encounter I'm not going to wait to find out his next move. His intentions were clear when he broke into my home and there are no second chances (for either of us).
    I agree about his intentions, however consider this as a way of prior planning:

What if he drops all weapons, raises his hand high, takes a clear step or two back from his weapons, and then turns to leave slowly?

Forensics can determine in most cases that his hands were raised if you shoot him....

Castle Doctrine's will help you SOME if you get here and maybe you won't ever be convicted of anything, but it may not be enough to avoid a lot of trouble and perhaps expense.

Technically here in Texas, if you are authorized to use deadly force (e.g., in legitimate fear for your life) then you can shoot the criminal in the back, the top of the head, the bottom of the foot, whatever.

Shooting in the back is not automatically wrong.

However, it is much easier to make the case that you were in fear of your life if you get shots through the front of a standing criminal who has his hands out front -- and which the forensics confirm.

(At least) Two of the modern justified shootings in Texas have been highly complicated (for the citizen) by criminals who did manage to turn as they were being legitimately shot and killed.

The CHL holder who shot the gangbanger downtown Austin (one of the first CHL holder cases), and Joe Horn from near Houston.

One of the most misunderstood things about the Joe Horn case is that the AUTOPSY FORM only has two sides for the diagram of wound location: front and back.

Horn's shotgun blast impacted one of them from the side, but slightly to the read of the shoulder. All those hits were recorded "on the back" due mostly to the FORM's limitations.

Of course the press reproted, "shot in the back" as if the criminal was running directly away.

VIP Member
    I believe you missed my point sir. It is pure fantasy to believe that an ARMED man in my home will have the time to drop his weapons and slowly take two steps back while raising his hands. To indulge you in your fantasy though I'd say yes, he would get a free pass. It will never happen like that in a million years but in that one in a billion chance then the BG lives.

My point in my first post was that in the real world he gets no warning and about one millionth of a second to drop the weapon. After the weapon is down he will be told "not to move". Let's be real here, he is still a lethal threat to me and my family until the police arrive and take him into custody. If he moves even a little bit I would not try to guess his intentions, I would just shoot him.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

If he signals down an LEO and comes back to my house and I am in my house, what would I have to worry about? I am allowed to carry a weapon in my house even without a CPL.
    I really can't imagine a hosue breaker wanting to go any where near a LEO.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I believe you missed my point sir. It is pure fantasy to believe that an ARMED man in my home will have the time to drop his weapons and slowly take two steps back while raising his hands. To indulge you in your fantasy though I'd say yes, he would get a free pass. It will never happen like that in a million years but in that one in a billion chance then the BG lives.

My point in my first post was that in the real world he gets no warning and about one millionth of a second to drop the weapon. After the weapon is down he will be told "not to move". Let's be real here, he is still a lethal threat to me and my family until the police arrive and take him into custody. If he moves even a little bit I would not try to guess his intentions, I would just shoot him.

Precisely...

By the time I see his DEADLY WEAPON, there is no time for him to then begin the process of dropping it and/or "placing" it on the ground mumbling something like, "Sorry mister, I just..."

If he is NOT armed, he will be told to not move, and he will NOT begin turning around slooooowly and walking back out of my house that HE broke into. He is going to jail, or he's getting shot. THIS sob, will not be allowed to go home for the evening, and begin planning next time to ARM himself in another "home invasion" against someone weaker, and/or less prepared.

Letting someone "go" is the worst thing to do...I don't even understand how anyone can advocate perpetuating this idea.
    This doesn't mean one automatically "kills" him, it simply means this sob, is not going to "get away" with this.

Again: Jail.....or a hospital then jail...or a bag.
    Stop acting like we're fightin' for "freedom". We are ALREADY....free.

RE: Shot in the back.

http://www.forcescience.org/articles/shotinback.pdf

That's just one of the articles I have on hand for explaining these...delicate...situations for clients.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links