restraining an intruder in your home - Page 5

restraining an intruder in your home

This is a discussion on restraining an intruder in your home within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hold at gunpoint, calling the cops at the same time, that way my story is the one on tape and in action so no matter ...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 113

Thread: restraining an intruder in your home

  1. #61
    Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Wichita Falls, Texas
    Posts
    1,618
    Hold at gunpoint, calling the cops at the same time, that way my story is the one on tape and in action so no matter what he does or says, to bad if I decide to let him. It's on him actually from the point I get the drop on him.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"


  2. #62
    VIP Member Array Guantes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    5,272
    As others have implied, if armed, he would have to be a quick drop, as opposed to quick draw, artist. If he managed it or was unarmed I would detain him. I would prefer him hooked, so I would probably hook him up.

  3. #63
    Member Array EPIC SCUMBAG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS
    Posts
    152
    Keep him at gunpoint and keep your distance. Call the cops and wait for their arrival. Maybe use the camera on your phone and take a mugshot??? If he runs let him go but at least you can show the pic of the perp to police. After all, they say the phone is the best weapon to have so why not use it to the fullest.

  4. #64
    Member
    Array Quicksabre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Detroit, MI USA
    Posts
    446
    Quote Originally Posted by TheoryRealm View Post
    I get your point, but maaaaan, we are talking milliseconds here. For clarification, yes.....if he's unarmed BEFORE I shoot, of course, your theory applies.
    I do get it. You'd shoot him before he could blink, much less drop the weapon. Some posters here might hesitate, and that's not necessarily the wrong decision for them. They may not be as comfortable with the idea of taking a human life. Personally, I also would probably shoot, thinking that if he dropped his weapon so quickly, it could be a ruse and he could have a backup weapon.

    Understood. I, and others I think, are having a hard time believing there is that much time difference in seeing him armed/ us drawing....and him "dropping the weapon"?
    One thing there sure isn't in combat is long periods of time for rumination on what-ifs. Those need to be all worked out ahead of time, as do your reflexive motions.

    MUCH more importantly, he broke into my home, ARMED.....I don't understand what the issue with this you seem to have...is.
    I think your participle is dangling. No issue. He broke in, I assume he's armed (a smart crook might have the gun where I can't easily see it), so I'll shoot first and ask questions later. Some people, though, will hesitate and that's not necessarily stupid on their part. Could be they don't see or think well late at night and are giving themselves time to be sure, to process information, before taking a life.

    TWO scenarios...I addressed both of them, with an ARMED....and UNARMED response. Many addressed both scenarios.
    Yeah, two, I know. To me, it's one. He broke in, he's probably armed and in any case, even though I am extensively trained in H2H, I am not going to try to restrain him.

    I'm AGAIN, not wanting to "automatically" shoot someone, as ALL here aren't, but when you have an ARMED sob in your home, all bets are off. Pretty simple.
    Sure. But if you give him time to disarm, then it gets pretty complicated.

    No.....in the scenario, he WAS armed, I, and other's simply pointed out that many of us on planet earth wouldn't WAIT to see him put down the weapon. Therein, lies what our point is. I personally could never imagine ANY timeframe where I would see someone with a weapon, and then "oooooh, he's putting it down."
    Yep, I get all that. But not everyone has lightning fast reflexes and flawless vision and thinking when awakened late at night. Some might choose to give themselves time to think and see clearly, and if it costs them, well, that's their choice.

    For God's sake's, some of the posters here, (not you), are trying to bring a ""match"" to a friggin' TORCH FIGHT!
    WAKE UP!!!!
    Funny - but seriously, some people have a hard time WAKING UP in the middle of the night, deathly threat or no. It could be because of medication, or aging eyes/vision problems, or who knows what. But they may very well hesitate long enough for the BG to see their gun and drop his in fear. I know I've read real-life scenarios like this before in Armed Citizen. It happens, and yes it doesn't always have a good ending, but bottom line is not everyone has the quickest of reaction times or thinking/seeing patterns at night.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

  5. #65
    Senior Member Array Hot Wing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Posts
    688
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Given the facts as you gave them, he's dead before he puts down his weapon. Call 911 and tell them they'll need the Coroner as well!
    Yes done

  6. #66
    Member Array mikecu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    22

    Florida castle laws rule.

    No restaints. If a burglar is in my home and I get the drop on him, HE DIES.

  7. #67
    VIP Member Array ctsketch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,319
    As others have implied, if armed, he would have to be a quick drop, as opposed to quick draw, artist. If he managed it or was unarmed I would detain him. I would prefer him hooked, so I would probably hook him up.
    throw him some cuffs and say "either put them on or get shot" lol
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

  8. #68
    VIP Member Array Guantes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    5,272
    Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    throw him some cuffs and say "either put them on or get shot" lol
    That's a one possibility.

  9. #69
    Member Array HerbM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    42
    Cuffs "in front" are only for show - and may in fact be more dangerous than no cuffs at all.

    1) They can be used for choking
    2) That fact that the criminal is cuffed tends to make people relax

    Make sure you have him cuff himself BEHIND his back.

  10. #70
    Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Jefferson City, MO
    Posts
    914
    If he is in my house and armed I am not risking the time needed to see if he will drop his weapon. He will drop his weapon when I drop him.

    If he turns and runs out of the house all the better. The threat is gone and there is no reason, nor justification, to do anything else.

    If he does surrender before I pull the trigger I will absolutely NOT be trying to restrain him, though Missouri law allows me to do so.

    LEO's spend a lot of hours practicing such activities. Even if do have the training it is still not a wise decision.
    NRA Life Member

  11. #71
    VIP Member Array Guantes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    5,272
    Quote Originally Posted by HerbM View Post
    Cuffs "in front" are only for show - and may in fact be more dangerous than no cuffs at all.

    1) They can be used for choking
    2) That fact that the criminal is cuffed tends to make people relax

    Make sure you have him cuff himself BEHIND his back.
    I agree, cuffs in front are for tv, etc. Cuffs, even behind the back, are a means of partial restraint/security and no cause for relaxation of vigil. I use to easily slip cuffs from behind to the front when conducting training problems.

  12. #72
    Member Array TheoryRealm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by Quicksabre View Post
    I do get it. You'd shoot him before he could blink, much less drop the weapon. Some posters here might hesitate, and that's not necessarily the wrong decision for them. They may not be as comfortable with the idea of taking a human life. Personally, I also would probably shoot, thinking that if he dropped his weapon so quickly, it could be a ruse and he could have a backup weapon.

    Nope, I'd SHOOT him, because he is IN my house ARMED.
    If others, are "uncomfortable" taking a life, I understand that. I say..."good luck with that..." If a person is in MY house, armed, I'm assuming he's willing and able to take mine. This isn't that difficult a decision, for me.


    One thing there sure isn't in combat is long periods of time for rumination on what-ifs. Those need to be all worked out ahead of time, as do your reflexive motions.
    These aren't my "reflexive motions", if that's what you're "implying". It's just a simple matter of REALITY.
    Home invasion....ARMED...pretty simple.

    I think your participle is dangling. No issue. He broke in, I assume he's armed (a smart crook might have the gun where I can't easily see it), so I'll shoot first and ask questions later. Some people, though, will hesitate and that's not necessarily stupid on their part. Could be they don't see or think well late at night and are giving themselves time to be sure, to process information, before taking a life
    Agreed. I think personally, people need to grow a pair if they are considering carrying a deadly weapon in the first place. Someone comes in your house, BREAKS into your home, and is armed, you better be ready to KILL them. I'm not making them pancakes....

    Yeah, two, I know. To me, it's one. He broke in, he's probably armed and in any case, even though I am extensively trained in H2H, I am not going to try to restrain him.

    Sure. But if you give him time to disarm, then it gets pretty complicated.

    Yep, I get all that. But not everyone has lightning fast reflexes and flawless vision and thinking when awakened late at night. Some might choose to give themselves time to think and see clearly, and if it costs them, well, that's their choice.
    I agree. All considerations should be thought out.

    Funny - but seriously, some people have a hard time WAKING UP in the middle of the night, deathly threat or no. It could be because of medication, or aging eyes/vision problems, or who knows what. But they may very well hesitate long enough for the BG to see their gun and drop his in fear. I know I've read real-life scenarios like this before in Armed Citizen. It happens, and yes it doesn't always have a good ending, but bottom line is not everyone has the quickest of reaction times or thinking/seeing patterns at night.
    I understand, never had a problem understanding all of that...
    This discussion was on "me" (and others) seeing a GUN, and shooting the armed sob in our home. Other's may be older, et cetera, but if you SEE an armed person, that has broken in your home, for God's sakes.....
    Stop acting like we're fightin' for "freedom". We are ALREADY....free.

  13. #73
    VIP Member Array 9MMare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Outside Seattle, WA
    Posts
    3,309
    Quote Originally Posted by TheoryRealm View Post
    If he's not armed, he will STAY in my home until the police arrive to haul his ass to jail. He will NOT LEAVE.
    Question (channels Dwight Schrute): If he's not armed, how do you force him to stay? You cant shoot him if he tries to leave.
    Fortune favors the bold.

    Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

    The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

  14. #74
    Member Array TheoryRealm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Question (channels Dwight Schrute): If he's not armed, how do you force him to stay? You cant shoot him if he tries to leave.
    1) There is a gun he brought with him. BIGGEST factor in my favor.
    2) Oh...I forgot, that he ALSO....broke into...my home.
    3) Trust me, he's staying. He is not, turning around, and walking out. More importantly, who says, I cannot "shoot him" if he tries to leave? He has committed acts 1 and 2, and I will "point blank" tell him that the last decision he ever makes could possibly be to think he's now somehow..."leaving". His crime spree stops here, and as others have stated, it is FOOLISH to allow him to leave then possibly kill/maim another family et cetera.
    As SOON as/if I see him making a move (remember, I have him AT gunpoint now).
    ---("Yes, officer....he pointed the gun at me and I started firing, he was bobbing and weaving and trying to duck from my shots. I thought we were all going to be killed... I kicked the gun over there away from him.")

    Do you really think I give two craps about someone that broke into my home, armed? No....I don't. That on MY personal totem pole, is about as low as it gets.
    We need to start thinking a little more on why we carry if we're simply having this guy now at gunpoint, and we "let" him leave, to do this again, another day. But hey, that's me, again, there are no "rules" when it comes to someone armed in my home. I didn't just shoot an insurance sales man that was trying to sell me something, I shot an armed...home...invader.

    He made the decision to arm himself, and break into my home.
    If he decides to then "turn", yep, he was turning towards HIS weapon and I reacted accordingly. (This situation, is where he has "surrendered" and his weapon was dropped, btw) MY story, looks pretty darn convincing, seeing as how he decided to make a THIRD bad decision.



    I refer back to points 1)...and 2).
    Stop acting like we're fightin' for "freedom". We are ALREADY....free.

  15. #75
    AzB
    AzB is offline
    Senior Member Array AzB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    557
    Quote Originally Posted by TheoryRealm View Post
    Do you really think I give two craps about someone that broke into my home armed? No....I don't. That on MY personal totem pole, is about as low as it gets.
    We need to start thinking a little more on why we carry if we're simply having this guy now at gunpoint, and we "let" him leave, to do this again, another day.
    Amen. I have a handicapped wife and a 17 yo daughter at home. I'm not taking any chances. If he broke in once, he could do it again when I'm not home.
    Az

    -- Luck favors the well prepared.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Man violating restraining order finds police inside home. Shots fired, he's done.
    By grady in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: June 2nd, 2009, 10:53 PM
  2. Woman Stops Home Intruder
    By CT-Mike in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: March 25th, 2008, 11:46 PM
  3. Man Shoots & Wounds Home Intruder
    By CT-Mike in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: March 10th, 2008, 09:46 PM
  4. Home intruder shot.
    By havegunjoe in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: January 18th, 2007, 05:36 PM
  5. Home intruder shot in Texas
    By lable in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: May 16th, 2006, 10:21 PM

Search tags for this page

arizona is it legal to restrain an intruder
,
can i restrain an intruder until police arrive
,

can you restrain an intruder

,

chassis intruede

,
how likely is it to have an intruder into your house
,

how to restrain a burglar

,

how to restrain a intruede

,

how to restrain an intruder

,

is it legal to restrain a burglar?

,
restraining a burgeler
,
restraining a burglar
,

restraining burgular in tx

Click on a term to search for related topics.