Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

restraining an intruder in your home

11K views 112 replies 48 participants last post by  HotGuns 
#1 ·
You're sleeping in your house, and awakened by a noise. You pick up your gun, and find a burglar. You point your gun at him, he puts down his weapon if he is carrying one, but if unarmed, he puts his hands up and gets on his knees. Or, if he runs out of your house, he may signal down an LEO and claim to have been threatened by you. The LEO goes in, and a dispute goes on to determine who is right after you claim you had a break in. It is hours before it is determined you were right, and the intruder is taken into custody. You might have been taken downtown in that time.

If an intruder comes into your home, armed or unarmed, and they surrender to you, would it be a good idea to cuff him or tape him up to keep him from doing such a thing? Is it even legal to restrain an intruder if he surrenders and complies with you?

#3 ·
Just keep him at gunpoint. Unless you are a trained law enforcement officer, restraining him is a risky move that can lead to a disarm. After all, you have your hand on your gun. If he runs away, let him go. You are under no obligation to detain him. But do report him immediately before he makes up a story and reports you. And also beware of him returning with a weapon or with accomplices.

#4 ·
If a dirtbag breaks into my home...he won't have time to put down his weapon...my castle, my rules...:yup::comeandgetsome:

#48 ·
Very well said. I think all should go forth and do likewise.

#5 ·
There is no way I am going to go hands on. I will keep them at gun point until the police arrive if I can. If they choose to get up and run away I might not like it but I'm not going to shoot anyone in the back either.

#6 ·
my castle, my rules...
tape and cuffs not needed.

#7 ·
If possible, I'm calling 911, telling the bad guy its his lucky day, and he can make a run for it as soon as I hear the sirens.

I want him out of my house and off my hands.

#8 ·
Given the facts as you gave them, he's dead before he puts down his weapon. Call 911 and tell them they'll need the Coroner as well!

#9 ·
If an intruder comes into your home, armed or unarmed, and they surrender to you, would it be a good idea to cuff him or tape him up to keep him from doing such a thing? Is it even legal to restrain an intruder if he surrenders and complies with you?
I would think any attempt at detainment would be asking for trouble. Getting close enough to restrain would be out of the question. If I throw down on the guy and he runs, I'm ok W/ that. My goal is to get him safely ( for me ) out of my house.

#10 ·
No.

Don't NOT go within arms reach of a criminal intruder. Do not go close to arm's reach.

You should probably stay at least 8 feet away.

If you really have the skills to cuff him you will KNOW you have those skills because you have practiced them at a police academy or some such training -- and you practiced them recently against a FULLY RESISTING opponent.

We regularly show how easy it is (even for relative beginners) to take away a pistol or even a knife (harder actually since you can cut yourself just touching it) if it is within touching distance.

Safer to tell him to run.

Best bet is to just put him down on the ground, face down and do NOT talk or argue with him -- give him clear positive (what you want him TO DO) commands and leave it at that.

Do NOT go near a captured criminal -- really dude, just don't.

Do watch out for his partner who you didn't know was already in the house, or who came in while you were busy with the first one.

Do tell the 911 operator who you are, what you are wearing, how to get in (if he came through a window or back door the front door is probably still locked, right?).

Don't have a prolonged discussion with the 911 folks (beyond giving them the necessary info), and whatever you do avoid telling 911 anything you don't want played on the evening news or at your trial if things go bad again.

(Most of Joe Horn's problems were due to his discussions with 911.)

--
HerbM

#11 ·
If someone gets in my house for any reason theyre stupid as hell with the dogs I have. Like retsup said - .he won't have time to put down his weapon...my castle, my rules...

More likely then not my dogs will get him before I do. And it wont be a pretty sight.
BUT for the sake of playing it out, If BG surrenders I call 911 and hold at gunpoint. He runs, as long as he doesnt run AT me, the hell with him. I have a good description and proof he broke in. As far as cuffing/taping them up goes. NOT SMART unless you have trained for such things and just happen to have duct tape or a set of cuffs within arms reach.

Just an added note here, if BG surrenders to me in my house, he cant run (well they can try like hell, but they arent getting more then 10 feet). 2 dogs that WILL keep someone cornered on command and WILL tear the living hell out of someone on command. Also they arent gun shy and can take down a large person (think 6+' 250-300 lbs) easily. They were trained that way for a reason, mainly because my mother is disabled and cant really defend herself. They'll lick the hell outta you, but hurt a family member it will become either VERY expensive for you or fatal or try to get inside without letting someone know and well, i hope you like standing in a corner until I tell them otherwise.

#12 ·
I'll leave the cuffing to the cops. It's my job to stop him, not cuff and stuff him.

#13 ·
Personally, I would want to detain him. I want him identified and booked. That way should he decide to come back, alone or with others, for my stuff or worse and it turns out bad, the cops have somewhere to start.

That is not a suggestion, only a personal opinion.

#14 ·
If an intruder comes into your home, armed or unarmed, and they surrender to you, would it be a good idea to cuff him or tape him
KEEP YOUR DISTANCE!!!

Unless you have a cover partner you shouldn't be restraining anyone. The old saying, "distance is your friend" holds true in this scenario.

As to holding or letting go, hold if possible, but if someone has a weapon and enters my home univited the chances of getting to run are pretty small. If they do run I'll let them go.

Biker

#20 ·
I couldn't agree more. I also would refrain from running out after them if they take off. You have no idea if they have a partner/s waiting outside in a getaway vehicle or just waiting outside on your front porch. Also stay alert as they may be more of them in your house or more that may enter to come to the rescue of their friend.

#15 ·
I'll hold them at gunpoint if necessary and call or continue talking to 911. But if they take off, I'm not shooting them. I may follow to get a plate number.

If I'm not holding him/them at gunpoint, there's less chance LE will shoot me.

#16 ·
I would suggest that following them out into the dark is considerably more dangerous than detaining them in the house.

I think that there is little chance of that if you explained the situation on your 911 call.

#19 ·
Agreed but I do recognize at least some of the dangers. I'm sure there are more....and sometimes it's just her and me when he's deployed but she's been shooting since childhood.

#21 ·
First things first: if a BG who has broken into your house is stopped by you and runs away, only to flag down a cop and tell a story--what do you think that story is? Not to mention, I'm sure you're going to be on the phone with 911 with a description of the BG. Who has the more believeable story? Someone like you? or someone with a (probable) criminal record?

Second, LEOs sometimes have a tough time restraining someone....I'm not sure I would attempt it (or have family members attempt it)...especially with a non-compliant BG. Why? Because now you are putting a friendly in the line of fire (if not properly trained). If someone has broken into my house, I am assuming they are there to do me or my family harm. The only way they are running away is because I missed--and my wife will be on the phone with 911 with the play by play.

I think you're looking for a solution in search of a problem.

#22 ·
We are not police, and not obligated to give commands if he is holding a weapon. He who hesitates is lost...

#24 ·
If I did end up in a situation with a bad guy on his knees and me having him at gunpoint waiting for a cop... im pretty darn sure i would just do that. tell him not to move, etc.
If for some reason I knew it would be a long time before the cop got there, and my hubby was home, I may throw him a pair of cuffs, etc (maybe find some pink fuzzy ones just for humor) and tell him to put them on and tight. That way I can at least relax a LITTLE (though obviously wouldnt much).
Certainly would not go near the guy though.
I sure as heck also would not tell the guy to get out or start running. Anyone breaks into my house, most likely they would end up bleeding, or best case (for them) in jail.

#25 ·
Just keep in mind that cuffing a dangerous person is...well...dangerous. It is for trained LEOs. It would potentially be for you too.

I wouldn't be too worried about a scenario where the guy tracks down a police car to tell them that he broke into your house and you pulled a gun on him.

#32 ·
+2 ctsketch

If I had an option, I'd give them a chance to run. I want them out of my house and away from me. Every second I try to hold a dangerous person is a second I am exposed to danger. So, either take them out the first second you have an opportunity, or give them a chance to get out.

Ideally, maybe hold them till you hear the sirens.

#27 ·
Let me just add:

Any movemrnt after given the command to, "DON'T MOVE!" will be seen as a lethal threat and treated accordingly if they are in my home.

Biker

#29 ·
If they break in...all bets are off...1) they must be deaf from their rap music or 2) they are methed out and think they are superman cuz at that point they have 3 large dogs attached to them! At that point if they are not running out the door, they will be picked up by the coroner! I am not an LEO, I was not trained to be! I leave that for the professionals, they do a fine job! My job is to keep my family safe!

#30 ·
Unarmed or not, once he crosses a physical barrier into my home, he dies....

We are not talking.

We are not negotiating.

And he won't have any time to run out the door.

#31 ·
I wouldn't get anywhere near him ... make him lie on the floor, make sure his weapon is out of his reach ... wife has already called 9-1-1, put up your gun when the cops arrive and adios, BG ... the odds are that if I find somebody in my house with a gun in his hand, I won't wait to see if he plans to surrender, but if the stars are all aligned for him, we'll all survive the experience and the taxpayers will arrange for his room and board ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.