I noticed something a bit disturbing yesterday

This is a discussion on I noticed something a bit disturbing yesterday within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Over the last weekend, I bought something I haven't owned in years: a bicycle. It's just a Walmart cheapie because I'm not a serious rider. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I noticed something a bit disturbing yesterday

Over the last weekend, I bought something I haven't owned in years: a bicycle. It's just a Walmart cheapie because I'm not a serious rider. There's a new stretch of road near my house with a sidewalk on both sides and it's ideal for bicycling, running, etc.... My sons are at their granddad's house for the week, so I thought it would be fun and it has been.

So anyway, I decided to do a couple of miles again yesterday. On the way back toward my house, there was a young woman who was running/walking and she had an MP3 player (I assume) with the earphones in. As I rode up on the bike and approached her from behind, I said, "Hi," basically as a polite way to get her to allow me to pass on the sidewalk. The dropoff to the street is about six inches and I didn't want to dive the bike. As I got closer, like within six feet or so, I said in a friendly, joking way, "Beep beep!"

Still no response. So I slowed almost to a stop, dropped to the street, and went around her. No big deal.

But here's the disturbing part. With her earpieces in, she had NO IDEA that I was coming up behind her. None. And this stretch of road (4-lane) is a bit rural. There are houses all around but it still feels somewhat isolated. It occurs to me that if someone had wanted to pull up in a car and abduct her, it would have been a piece of cake. Even if she was armed, she had no clue that I was easing around her on the street until I was slightly past her.

So do people really have ZERO situational awareness these days? This was a young (I'll assume 20's), attractive woman, pretty much alone out there, and she never even knew I had come up behind her on the sidewalk until I had passed. I'm no criminal, of course, but if I had been, she would have been an easy pick for [whatever].
    I find this a bit alarming.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

My wife does the EXACT same thing when she runs. We live in a gated community with a security guard, but that is really a joke. Pulling in and waving to these folks will get you buy without so much as a glance 99% of the time. I've tried to express to her the danger in running and being, for intents and purposes, deaf, from just cars and trucks that travel the roads, to say nothing of anyone with ill intent.

She thinks I'm paraniod. My fear is that something bad will happen and there will be nothing I can do about it. So, yeah. Folks apparently have little or no care in their environment and the potential for bad things to happen.
    SA Loaded 1911
    XD45 Service
    XDs45

She was "in the zone."

But no more than most people with or without earbuds in... Driving while talking on the cel, driving on the interstate studying a book on the steering wheel, so engrossed in cel phone conversation crossing street not looking EITHER way, let alone both, against a light...

nope... nothing ever happens to those people... ever... I don't understand what you're worried about... They live in an alternate reality... they appear to be here but are in a parallel dimension, unaffected by the laws of physics in this one.

VIP Member
    It is. I have members in my family like that. I really don't like the term , but sometimes it really is appropriately descriptive.

Nothing will happen to me! It's always the other guy!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I hope I don't sound bitter in my response- it doesn't surprise me the least bit. I used to be shocked at how some people go about their business day to day, oblivious to their surroundings. Wether they are driving, shopping, or in your case- jogging. Its mindboggling how one can go through a day with such little awareness to the world around them.
    [__☺]
    -OllllO-
    []o=[]
    Beretta PX4 Storm .45 / Springfield Armory XDM 9 / Springfield Armory 1911 Milspec / Smith Wesson 686 / Bushmaster XM-15 E2
    DPMS A-15 Oracle / Remington 870 Express Magnum / Remington 597 .22

Senior Moderator
    So do people really have ZERO situational awareness these days?
    MOST people have ZERO awareness.

I find this a bit alarming.
    It is not the exception. It is the rule.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Situational Awareness is something lots of people really don't understand...they want to be left alone and will zone out so they don't have to pay attention to anyone else...

Pretty dangerous...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

TRUE Very TRUE ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Often, when I mountain bike I have ear buds in listening to music. I don't have the volume quite that high but it's enough not to hear under normal circumstances. I'm quite the opposite when I have them on, I tend to look around more often ( situational awareness ) because I can't hear normally as one would with them not inside your ears. I guess I'm exercising caution by looking around especially when there is traffic in certain areas that I bike in. Funny as it sounds I do this when I'm wearing hearing protection at the shooting range. Same rule applies! Moral of the story: Keep your head on a swivel. Doing so may one day save your life!

Senior Member Array KiltedTexan's Avatar
    It always bothers me to see College-aged girls jogging alone through the neighborhoods in my College town. And sometimes at night (!) I know there's a tendency to feel invincible at that age, but sheesh...
    XD Service .45 ACP
    XDM .45 ACP Bi-Tone
    Ruger LCR .38 Special +P CT
    Texas CHL
    NRA Member

Senior Moderator

This is a fact that you can count on
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

That is just plain sad.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Years ago, my mom was the victim of an attempted rape. She was out jogging, with her walkman blasting away. The guy knocked her down, and tried to drag her by the hair into an alley. She was really banged up, but managed to scare the guy away by screaming at the top of her lungs. She has never jogged with a walkman since that day. Tough lesson to learn. She also got a running buddy to go with her every day.

In the last year I have seen so many examples of mid 20's unaware girls walking somewhere after dark. Many times they are lulled into a false sense of security by having a cell phone plastered to their ear as they proceed. This only serves the purpose of blocking their ability to hear someone walking up on them. The person on the other end of the line (I would imagine) has no idea exactly where they are at any given point in time, yet they walk completely absorbed in the conversation, unaware of all that goes on around them. We also have some isolated walking trails that occasionally open up into a highway area and then snake back through the woods. I see many single women walking and jogging through there alone. I always say to myself something like "darn, I wouldn't even be in there alone without at least my LCP in a pocket holster", yet they continue on unaware and clueless.

Only once in the last year did I see a woman do it right. It was dusk and she was walking down a lonely street, quickly and dead center. Her head was on a swivel and she had no distracting cell phone or mp3 player. Other than not doing it at all, she minimized her time in the hazardous zone and gave herself the best possible chance of a safe arrival to her destination.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links