recent incident at my home - Page 3

recent incident at my home

This is a discussion on recent incident at my home within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One should be in the chamber. Just keep your finger OFF the trigger....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: recent incident at my home

One should be in the chamber. Just keep your finger OFF the trigger.

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post
    1. DO NOT open your door to strangers - armed or not!
    2. DO NOT shoot through said door!
    3. DO NOT brandish your weapon (pistol or shotgun) unless you intend to use it right then and there. All the punks have to do is call 911 and say some crazy person just pointed a gun at them. You are now on defense (the kind that may cost a lot of time, money and other bad things).

Having said that, you are now better prepared, practicing (often - I hope) and have better situational awareness. As Ret will soon say [sic] say armed, stay safe (he's better with his words than I'll ever be).

Welcome to the Forum - glad you are aboard!
    +3

Also,
    I'm in a very nice quiet suburban neighborhood where I routinely leave the house on a nice day without even locking it up,
    Don't do that.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

eagleks, thanks for the advice. don't get me wrong nothing is wrong, just thought that I would get various peoples advice on what they might have done in this case. when you say don't go outside etc that is what I was thinking. I was mad that they just tried to break in my house. really pissed, I wanted them to be arrested. but it all happened so fast. if I had called 911, they would have been inside the house before I could even give my address to the cops. then after I told them to leave, they were so damm calm about it, just waltzing back to the car, I wanted to go outside and photograph them, but thought no, that might be too risky, so I waited until they were driving off, went outside and took a few photos'(also one through the window blinds from inside) I figured that if they saw me, I could always run back inside the house if they came back. but in this case this was probably not a good idea on my part. the whole shoot through the door thing was advice somebody gave me at work, not my idea and a dumb idea. I didn't have a gun in this case, so now I do, that's why I asked the question. would I do anything differently now? I don't think I would actually point the gun at the kid going around to the back of my house with his screwdriver or whatever he had to use to break in. But I would have it in my hand maybe hidden behind me, and just let him know I see him and you better leave. I wouldn't open the door and point it at him. 99% chance he isn't going to still try to break in. but what if I didn't get up and look out the door and they come in the house? then do you go out and confront them? or hunker down in the bedroom? seems to be the consenses here is to hunker down, especially if you don't even know that they are kids. course 19, 20 to me is a kid, but they are adults. still I don't want to kill anybody young or old if it's over a dvd and a computer. but like a lot of people, I would dearly love to put the fear of god into them. one thing I thought, ok, probably stupid, is to take my 12 gauge out, and just walk up to their car, and pump it full of holes through the radiator while they watch in terror. sort of a fantasy of mine. he he:)

Not of that matters.... you still should have one in the chamber.

+1 on one in the chamber.

If you are under stress and have to rack the slide to get one in the chamber, you may not do it correctly in the heat of the moment, so now you have a jammed gun and have not even fired one round.

If you are uncomfortable with a round in the chamber, I would suggest enrolling in a class on gun handling and shooting with a reputable local instructor. That should raise your level of confidence.

Just in case it hasn't been mentioned or you missed it, you absolutely should have one in the chamber. Oh, and also, don't forget to have one in the chamber. And another thing, there should be a round in the chamber.

Yo don't wait until you're about to be in an accident and try to hurry up and put on your seat belt. Same concept.

Get some professional training, study your state laws (including case law) regarding guns, self defense, and lethal force. I wish you well, be safe. This forum is a great place to obtain a great education.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by fredgarv View Post
    just today in the papers was a story of a woman walking alone and two people from the southern areas of the continent came up to her and asked her for her wallet, she gave it to them and they were nice enough to stab her in the back. fortunately she didn't get hurt to bad thank god. but as I read this I thought wow if she had had a gun, and was trained to use it properly, it would have been very different most likely for her.
    the woman in question is Brian Suites wife. Brian Suites is a comentater on the local KVI 570. they both have there permits and have traning. She did not take it with here this time. also, she is an ex LEO.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

911 that sounds like the best thing. half the time I don't keep my cell in my bedroom with me. (don't want work calling me waking me up when I have overslept for work! or calling me in on my day off!)

so, in my case I did get up and told them to get lost, which worked, so say I had stayed in my room with my gun, and hear them stealing my stuff. now I don't give a crap if my computer gets stolen or some lousy dvd's. so you have two options here, stay in the bedroom and if they come in, confront them, or do what i did and go out there and see them and sort of confront them before they get into the house? I suppose both methods could be good, or very bad. I doubt it will ever happen again but I wanted to get peoples opinions on this great site. thank's to you all!

I just got my concealed carry permit here in washington state. just today in the papers was a story of a woman walking alone and two people from the southern areas of the continent came up to her and asked her for her wallet, she gave it to them and they were nice enough to stab her in the back. fortunately she didn't get hurt to bad thank god. but as I read this I thought wow if she had had a gun, and was trained to use it properly, it would have been very different most likely for her. I sure do believe in the right to carry and that's one reason I decided to get one before any even remote possibility that the current administration and their friends might just attempt to keep people from being able to buy or carry a hand gun. since it seems now we want to emulate europe in most other things.

yes I did get the security sticker and put one on all doors.
    Keep the phone with you! Turn it off or on "silent," if need be, but why not keep it handy in case you happen to NEED it? Just like carrying a gun - it doesn't help you if you don't carry it with you.

At the first sign of something unusual or what you think is a possible break-in, CALL 911. Tell them where you are, that there are two men outside who are trying to break in, and that one of them has some kind of weapon (weapon = punch word, which will get the LEOs coding to you right away). Probably also mention you're armed, and that you've barricaded yourself inside your bedroom on the 2nd floor, the bedroom door is locked, and LEOs can get in [THIS WAY]. Tell them there's a sliding glass door in the back that may be open or whatever.

Lock your door, get the police rolling, then you can choose whether or not to yell through your door something like, "Get out of my house! I'm armed, and I've called the police." Add your own flavor as you see fit. Stay in your safe room, and stay on the phone until police arrive. They will clear your house for you, then let you know when it is safe to come out.

IMPORTANT:
    Go online and find a book called "In the Gravest Extreme" by Massad Ayoob - should be no more than $12.50. Read it, and read it again. It will help you to understand some of the legal, moral, and financial aspects of making the choice to use a firearm in self defense. If you can't find it, or can't afford it, I'll send you a copy (PM me an address).

Oh, and when you're in your bedroom (or other designated "safe room"), have your shotgun or pistol ready to go, aimed at the door (follow the rules - finger off the trigger - yada yada). If anybody comes into the room without knocking and saying "it's the police! It's safe to come out now," then you do what you need to do. By the way, you should tell the operator on the phone that you will not open the door until the police verify who they are. Ask them to call dispatch and inform the operator that they are the real guys.

It isn't a bad idea to keep a set of keys ready, in case this scenario plays out, that you can toss out the window to police so they can get inside the house without breaking the door down. Label keys "front door," "basement," whatever. Adding an unused light stick is good in case this goes down at a dark hour. Hopefully, your bedroom has a window that you can open to see the police when they roll up.
    Last edited by FreeDelivery; June 10th, 2010 at 02:54 AM. Reason: "Oh, and..."

thanks guys. I have looked up some books on using hand guns for self defense and thanks for the recommendation on that particular one. I was thinking, this was around the time I usually take a shower in the morning, they could have broken in while I was in the shower. probably would have left at that point. but kinda scary.(saw a video on youtube where a guy keeps various hand guns at his house loaded and hidden in various areas like under the coffee table with this special clip that keeps it hidden under the top of the table, one under the kitchen counter, and even one in the shower, on the wall, oh yeah, he's ready)

one thing for sure, I"m damm good with this gun! I went up shooting today, up in the mountains around here, found a shooting pit with a nice sand hill bank. from quite aways away I set up a small water jug, and nailed it from like oh say,90-100 feet or so. then as I was leaving, I set up an orange football tee, and went closer say 75-80 feet. dam it I was going to bring a tape measure to actually measure distances but I forgot it. this 19 year old kid pulls up and says he and his friends are wanting to shoot too. so I said well I'm just leaving now anyway, you can have the pit. but one last shot, I want to hit this tee. so went up, aimed and fired and hit the damm thing! the kid just says "that was amazing!"

course under stress, totally different thing.
    Last edited by fredgarv; June 13th, 2010 at 10:58 PM.

Recommendations:

1. Alarm system armed as much as possible.
    2. Gun safe as tcox has mentioned, but make sure you bolt it down.
    3. Secure your sliders with pins/bars/etc., get good locks, etc. Just a deterrent.
    4. Round in the chamber.

If something happens:

1. Finger off trigger.
    2. Cell phone.
    3. Call police.

one thing for sure, I"m damm good with this gun! I went up shooting today, up in the mountains around here, found a shooting pit with a nice sand hill bank. from quite aways away I set up a small water jug, and nailed it from like oh say,90-100 feet or so. then as I was leaving, I set up an orange football tee, and went closer say 75-80 feet. dam it I was going to bring a tape measure to actually measure distances but I forgot it. this 19 year old kid pulls up and says he and his friends are wanting to shoot too. so I said well I'm just leaving now anyway, you can have the pit. but one last shot, I want to hit this tee. so went up, aimed and fired and hit the damm thing! the kid just says "that was amazing!"

course under stress, totally different thing.
    Practice point shooting.

Different people have their own styles of HD, and some factors include how many residents live in/are in the home, your defensive weaponry, home layout, dog/no dog, alarms, etc. The nature of the perceived threat also affects how you might respond. So there's no "one size fits all" approach to dealing with every situation.

In this case, the shotgun would be the tool I'd have grabbed first. I keep mine set up with a loaded magazine tube and one snap cap in the chamber, hammer down, safety off. Grab it, rack it, and you're ready to direct traffic.

Threat analysis: This definitely sounds like an attempted B&E. Problem is, could have been a couple of guys looking for Mary and they had the wrong address. You can't be sure until you investigate, which you did. It's going to be better to have them outside and you inside, so I vote against holing up in a safe room and dialing 911 at the first sign of trouble. Rather, I'd challenge the persons outside to identify themselves, and as in this case warn them to leave.

Snapping a picture of them and the car would have been a great idea. I would absolutely contact the police afterward because there may be other reports of these clowns and your input could be valuable information. Read up on this case. Here, one resident shot a neighbor because he mis-identified the threat. Above all else, you need to accurately ID your target before entering shooting mode.

Continue training, and consider taking the "NRA Basic Personal Protection In The Home Course."
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

thank you shockwave. these guys showed up, and rang the bell, and like I said, I looked out the peephole, and saw one guy looking at me, and the other one start to walk around the house to the back. at this point I thought I had the shotgun, but if I went back to grab it and load it, etc by that time they might be already breaking in, so at that point before I could think about anything, I saw the young guy in my back yard looking around and he had some sort of tool in his hand. so I thought I don't want to hide and have them breaking in, so I opened the sliding glass door(I know mistake) and stuck my head out and thats when he made up the excuse he was looking for mary to pick up. somebody looking to pick somebody up wouldn't wander around to the back and he was looking for a place to break in. I could see it in his face. so when I told him you better get lost buddy, he and his friend left. I agree with you if I had holed up in my bedroom, they would have been inside the house. I didn't want them inside my house. maybe the thing to do was to keep the door shut of course, and point the gun at him through the sliding glass door just to let him know. rather than talking to him. but then I hear about don't ever point a gun unless your intending to use it. as it was it worked out ok, and even if they had gotten in the house, most likely if they heard me in the shower, or hear me rummaging around, they would have left anyway. on the one had I don't give a crap if they took my computer/tv/dvd player etc, but on the other I think I'd rather let them know I'm home and armed before they break in. this is the first time this happened in 20 years of living here, probably a grand total of 2 break ins in 30 years on my block.

I did call the police right away after they left and gave them my photo of their car. I called back a few weeks later and they would give me no information at all regarding it.

everybody here seems to favor the shotgun, but I like the idea that I got 10 shots with my ruger and it's so portable and can fire fast if need be. no clunky one shot, then pump pump.

911 that sounds like the best thing. half the time I don't keep my cell in my bedroom with me. (don't want work calling me waking me up when I have overslept for work! or calling me in on my day off!)

so, in my case I did get up and told them to get lost, which worked, so say I had stayed in my room with my gun, and hear them stealing my stuff. now I don't give a crap if my computer gets stolen or some lousy dvd's. so you have two options here, stay in the bedroom and if they come in, confront them, or do what i did and go out there and see them and sort of confront them before they get into the house? I suppose both methods could be good, or very bad. I doubt it will ever happen again but I wanted to get peoples opinions on this great site. thank's to you all!

I just got my concealed carry permit here in washington state. just today in the papers was a story of a woman walking alone and two people from the southern areas of the continent came up to her and asked her for her wallet, she gave it to them and they were nice enough to stab her in the back. fortunately she didn't get hurt to bad thank god. but as I read this I thought wow if she had had a gun, and was trained to use it properly, it would have been very different most likely for her. I sure do believe in the right to carry and that's one reason I decided to get one before any even remote possibility that the current administration and their friends might just attempt to keep people from being able to buy or carry a hand gun. since it seems now we want to emulate europe in most other things.

yes I did get the security sticker and put one on all doors.
    True self and home defense requires planning and training. And not all plans and habits you develop are convenient.

I have plans using my bedroom as a safe room. It's a good location relative to the house entrances, provides real cover, and every single nite I make sure my cell phone, loaded 9mm, and tactical light are right next to me on my nitestand.

It's not convenient. Now, by habit, I have made myself take my purse (with gun) into my bedroom (instead of tossing on dining room table) and immediately place 9mm on nitestand. Cell remains with me in living room or on person and then goes on stand at bedtime. It now gets charged in the am when I am getting ready.

If I leave house and cannot take gun with me, like work, it goes into safe in bedroom. It stinks, because I cant take it to work with me. So every am....into safe it goes and when I come home, first thing I do after putting dogs out is take it out and put it in the exact same place every time....on nite stand. I only have one gun, so this must be my ritual, like it or not.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitcreek View Post
    +1 on one in the chamber.

If you are under stress and have to rack the slide to get one in the chamber, you may not do it correctly in the heat of the moment, so now you have a jammed gun and have not even fired one round.

If you are uncomfortable with a round in the chamber, I would suggest enrolling in a class on gun handling and shooting with a reputable local instructor. That should raise your level of confidence.
    I dunno. I carry with one in the chamber but when I get home, I remove that round and leave the chamber empty. With my saferoom/nitestand plan, I know how I wake up in the middle of the nite....out of it. My dogs will alert me fast, the entrances are farthest from my bedroom, and I should have time to rack the slide. I do this to help myself wake up.

Also, for the OP...my cell is always nearby...I dont address any situation without it in my hand to call 911.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links