Do you fear the sight of a gun?

This is a discussion on Do you fear the sight of a gun? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Knightrider If the person is calm with a hammer in his hands and we are at a hardware store then I'm cool, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you fear the sight of a gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
    If the person is calm with a hammer in his hands and we are at a hardware store then I'm cool, however if I'm walking down the street and the guy just pulls out a hammer, then I"m not cool. The same as a gun.

Exactly.

Some people can kill someone and be calm like a bomb. There is just some places were if someone unholster their gun, flags will rise no matter how clam they are.

Yes, key point: They UNHOLSTERED their gun. You should be asking yourself why did they do that? Maybe they are the threat, and maybe they are looking at a BG across the room.

Maybe its another CCW permit holder. (even a friend from this site)
    Maybe, maybe not

I agree, but I think you agree that a gun on someone's hip is not a problem (if its in a holster or otherwise secured).

Innocent until proven guilty works in courts, not with me. If your in the street, in a supermarket, park, etc and you unholster your gun, there is a problem.
    I agree, and you said the key word again: UNHOLSTERED. This is about behavior again. The person was innocent until they unholstered their gun. So you appear to agree with "innocent (holstered gun, non-threatening person) until proven guilty" (unholstered, possibly threatening behavior)
    Last edited by romansten9; June 9th, 2010 at 08:22 PM. Reason: clarified

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    I personally don't see many post about people going code red when seeing a firearm. If I see person oc'ing I may give a 2nd look to see who made his holster but that is about it. If I see a guy in a hoodie carrying Mexican style I may be a little more cautious. Yes I am guilty of profiling SUE ME.
    You're right, there are not a lot of such posts, but some. One such post was a person that walked into an auto-parts store and with a holstered gun and set it on the counter. The person's mood/attitude sounded to be non-threatening. Obviously this is an odd behavior and would cause me to figure out why he did that. Some people responded that they would draw their own gun. I would not consider such a thing unless the gun was upholstered or if the person was aggressive in some way. The person sounded like they made a dumb mistake, but didn't sound aggressive. Every situation is different, but in general I don't fear the sight of a gun.

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    I don't fear guns. I actually quite enjoy firearms. I do, however, fear people. Fortunately, I am in a place where I may legally own, and carry, a firearm for self defense, in the hopes that I never have occasion to use it in that capacity.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    Good points, I saw a guy OC'ing in Walloy World the other day, thigh rig, and HCP badge on the front of the holster. He was with who I assume were his two children. I didn't perceive him to be a danger.
    He had a HCP badge? And you didn't consider him to be a danger?
    Knowing is half the battle.

I don't see how anyone that fears a certain thing can own the same thing they fear. Fearing a person's intentions with said tool and fearing the tool are two different things.

I doubt the first firearms were made for target shooting. History of firearms - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia As humans, we have found other uses for them (as we have with many things), but the first firearms were likely made for destructing things (hunting and/or harm/war).

Quote Originally Posted by aedinius View Post
    He had a HCP badge? And you didn't consider him to be a danger?
    Bingo! and if he "made" me as carrying without a BADGE.... I'd be in fear for my safety... prolly drives a HUMMER and has LOOK AT ME tatooed on his forehead, too... those kind always make me nervous!

VIP Member
    While I have respect for guns I have no fear of them, it is the person behind the gun that may cause me concern. Someone walking into a business open carrying my cause me to glance just to see what they are carrying but that would not be a reason for concern, on the other hand if they come in waving a gun around and pointing it at people then my response by necessity will be entirely different. What I have never understood is the hoplophobes that think nothing of an LEO walking around open carrying yet just the sight of a gun on a magazine all but causes them to lose bladder and bowel control.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by romansten9 View Post
    After reading some of the posts here, it seems that there are those that fear the sight of a gun being carried by someone.
    I think you're grossly mistaking comments made as if references to the fear indicative in the statutes and in the common response of sheep in our midst as if those fears were ours.

In more than four years of reading and posting here, at DC, I have yet to find more than a small handful of statements that could truly be attributed to a typical, sheep-ish dislike of guns in public. Not one of those, however, was a statement of fear over the sight of a gun.

If you're speaking of the simple fact of openly carried firearms, though, then it certainly needs to be understood that many believe we're better off (tactically and for "the cause") if we conceal. But, both modes of carry are legal and reasonable. To each his own.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Demeanor, environment, and where the gun physically is located would be the key factors for me.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    I think you're grossly mistaking comments made as if references to the fear indicative in the statutes and in the common response of sheep in our midst as if those fears were ours.

In more than four years of reading and posting here, at DC, I have yet to find more than a small handful of statements that could truly be attributed to a typical, sheep-ish dislike of guns in public. Not one of those, however, was a statement of fear over the sight of a gun.

If you're speaking of the simple fact of openly carried firearms, though, then it certainly needs to be understood that many believe we're better off (tactically and for "the cause") if we conceal. But, both modes of carry are legal and reasonable. To each his own.
    I have known several people who reacted to the sight of a gun in the same room just as if it were a snake. Go figure. They've never been shot nor bit by a snake. Irrational fear is a learned process.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

A gun, like any other tool, sitting there quietly, is not something to be feared...

I am more dangerous with a hammer in my hand than a gun, because I really haven't been trained how to use a hammer properly...

If I see someone OCing...properly...its not an issue...my SA worked, I picked it up, but everything seems cool...

If I think I detect someone CCing...the SA antennae go up a notch, but no fear...

If I see a weapon out...ready to use...I'm now going into hyper SA...ready to defend...possibly dialling 911...but now I fear the person, not the tool...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    interesting thread but i believe the op has misinterpreted caution by some as fear of a firearm when thats not the case at all...

the reactions you read werent due to fear of a gun...they were due to caution in an unusual situation with an unknown agenda....

i can walk down the street with a hammer, nailgun or even a saw in my hand and not fear arrest as its perfectly legal...if i walk around with a gun in my hand i am breaking the law...large difference there as far as tools are concerned...i'm pretty sure if i walk into a store with a hammer in my hand there is going to be a certain amoung of precautionary measures taken by some as far as how close they are going to allow me to get until they know what my intentions are...this is multiplied with a gun as i dont have to get close to do damage...

some complain that gun stores have no loaded weapons rules...ever wonder why?...do you regularly unholster a gun in a walmart?...supermarket?...auto parts store?....no...but many dont think twice before whipping a loaded gun out of its holster to show it to a gun store employee or try a new holster...etc...a loaded gun isnt a toy and it has no business beinghandled in the presence of others unless its being used by them...or being used against them...

the "fear" as it has been identified is not of guns...it is of an unknown and unusual situation that is out of place and for all practical purposes illegal....just because someone is smiling at you it doesnt mean they arent going to blow your brains out...it only means they may enjoy it more than others...

before the flames start you might want to review my answer to the parts store post....and there really werent any wrong answers...i think drawing would have been a bit hasty in the particular situation as it might do more to confuse the situation for the idiot with the gun in his hand and possibly excalate it into an unnecessary violent situation...but it isnt out of the question as a response...

i wouldnt welcome someone handling a gun in a fashion that is not considered correct or responsible...call it fear if you want...i call it caution in an unknown and unfamiliar situation....

Some of you may know that 11 years ago I was car jacked and technically kidnapped while they stopped at different ATM machines withdrawing my money.

Anyway, the gun in the one guys hand bothered me, but the piece of piano-type wire he was twirling around his fingers bothered me MUCH MORE.

Before and after that, I've never been bothered at the site of a gun. Surprisingly, even though it was used to threaten me, I still wasn't that intimidated by the sight of it. When I see someone carrying a gun now (if by some chance I notice), it has no effect on me other than a "good for you" in my head. If I saw someone walking with a holstered handgun, I would pay attention, but the main thought would most likely be "what an idiot" instead of "OH MY GOD!".

Now, this is where some profiling comes in and stereotypes play a big part. I hate to say that, but it is what it is.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Yes, I have a health respect (call it fear if you want) of all firearms. I also have a "fear" of people who prepare food, drive cars, etc. I watch many things closely.

Yes, I fear people at the range, have you see some of the peope at the range. If you don't understand or have not observed some of the people to fear at a range, you could be one of those people, or you shoot at better ranges then I do.

Just because someone owns a gun (or has a cc permit) does not make them someone I trust or think is more intelligent then the norm. I do assume they might be more prepared, speaks nothing to their intentions.

Yes, when I see a pistol (OC or CC) my alert level goes up a notch. When I see a hammer in a holster my alert level goes up a notch. Maybe a little, mabye a lot, depends on many factors. If gun love blinds observational awareness, you are diluted in pro-gun propaganda just as much as some anti propaganda.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

I don't fear them but I keep my eye on the person handling them. While their intentions may be of no treat to me their actions could be negligent and cause me harm unintentionally.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links