Do you fear the sight of a gun?

This is a discussion on Do you fear the sight of a gun? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; spent some time at the range this afternoon during a lunch break...only one other guy shooting and 2 rso's so i struck up come conversation ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you fear the sight of a gun?

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    spent some time at the range this afternoon during a lunch break...only one other guy shooting and 2 rso's so i struck up come conversation with them about the rso job...onoe of them said hes not sure if its worth the risk...i questioned it and he commented that hes had more guns pointed at him then any law enforcment officer in the country in the past few weeks and hes just waiting for one of the idiots to get a shot off...

the other day an rso had a loaded pistol with a finger on the trigger pointed directly at his neck as a shooter turned around from the range after taking a shot...the only reason it didnt go off is becasue the shooter was still squeezing the trigger and it hadnt reset yet...

scared of guns?...no....this guy loves em and works in an environment rich with them....scared of an idiot shooting him?...enough to have second thoughts about the job..

ive been to training classes where peole have turned around on the line with loaded handguns while they picked up brass...asked questions...etc...ive had people pull guns out of their holsters to show them and point them directly at me before clearing them...it only happens once...but thats all it takes...

so while youre looking at someone doing aomething out of the ordinary and saying "i love guns and it doesnt bother me becuase i can tell by his demeanor he doesnt want to hurt me"...some one somewhere is taking a negligent discharge or risk of one after the same thought crossed their mind...it wont scare you until it happens...then you can think about how much guns dont scare you...

my brother cut himself during a partridge hunt in upstate ny once...we took him to a local hospital to get a few stitches...not a big deal...we had the honor of seeing a gentlement whos best friend managed to put a deer slug through his hip as he walked behind him through the woods....bet that guy wasnt afraid of guns either....and heck...he'd been hunting with the guy all his life..its not like he was gonna hurt him....

keeping your eye on them may not be enough or soon enough to prevent something stupid...when somebody is doing something that defies llogic and legality its time to put some extra attention to it because they arent thinking straight in the first place....

you know when a gun is empty but you still treat it as loaded becasue thats the way you were taught...if others arent using the same care you are theres plenty to be afraid of...and all the "i love guns" talk in the world isnt going to take back what happenes when a bullet leaves the barrel....

2. Remove Ads

I only fear unloaded guns, because those seem to be the ones that always go off and shoot someone.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I have known several people who reacted to the sight of a gun in the same room just as if it were a snake. Go figure. They've never been shot nor bit by a snake. Irrational fear is a learned process.
    Yes, and the learning is coming from dozens of others who likewise have never been shot nor bit by a snake. It takes no rational thought to feel that way. It just takes the feeling that something wonky. Meanwhile, the armed criminals are laughing all the way to the bank at the stupidity that allows folks to feel better about being unarmed and incapable of withstanding any attack. The great sin of the Chuckie Schumers of the world is that they've made the poison smell like roses to the wad and masses, knowing full well it's a farce and putting people's lives in danger.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    I think you're grossly mistaking comments made as if references to the fear indicative in the statutes and in the common response of sheep in our midst as if those fears were ours.

In more than four years of reading and posting here, at DC, I have yet to find more than a small handful of statements that could truly be attributed to a typical, sheep-ish dislike of guns in public. Not one of those, however, was a statement of fear over the sight of a gun.

If you're speaking of the simple fact of openly carried firearms, though, then it certainly needs to be understood that many believe we're better off (tactically and for "the cause") if we conceal. But, both modes of carry are legal and reasonable. To each his own.
    You make some good points. One recent thread I was referring to was the "holstered gun in the auto parts store" scenario. It was an odd situation and it would get my attention. Some people said they would seek cover and draw their weapon. To me this is more than caution, this is borderline fear of a gun in a holster lying on a counter, with a person that is not appearing to make any threats. If there are people that want to react that way, thats ok. Every one of us falls somewhere at different points on a line between being overly naive and overly cautious. Hopefully we will all get to a place somewhere in the middle. (myself included) I'm here to learn from others and share my own ideas when I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Only if its pointed at me.
    OR if it is carelessly being flopped around by an idiot.

OR if the gun is being carried by a Muslim, M.D.
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

Only if it's pointed at me.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Ditto.

Depends on who has it + the situation and circumstances.

I fear people with bad intentions or people that don't understand gun safety, not the guns themseleves. And I always seek to proactively address the cause of those fears.

I do not fear guns...guns are just tools.
    A gun is a powerful tool, and like any other tool, one must have respect for that tool. Tools can do amazing things, but in the wrong hands can cause a lot of problems and destruction.
    I am cautious when I handle my tools, and I am distrustful of individuals who lack respect for the tools they handle...I keep distance from such individuals.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links