Do you fear the sight of a gun?

This is a discussion on Do you fear the sight of a gun? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After reading some of the posts here, it seems that there are those that fear the sight of a gun being carried by someone. (such ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

After reading some of the posts here, it seems that there are those that fear the sight of a gun being carried by someone. (such as in a holster, or a bulge that looks like a gun) Or if someone takes out a gun that is in a holster or a case, but the person is acting calm and non-threatening. Some people have even said that they go into condition red immediately upon seeing a gun. I think having a plan is good, but do you react strongly to the mere sight of a gun, or more to the actions of the PERSON? If you enter condition orange for a few seconds while you look at the person's behavior that is one thing, but condition red?

For those that do react strongly,
    this brings several questions to mind:

1. If you are a gun lover, why do you fear guns? This is what the anti-gun people do.

2. If you don't fear a hammer or nail gun in a calm person's hand, then why fear a firearm? A car is every bit as lethal as a gun, so do you fear cars when you cross the street? A healthy respect for cars and guns is one thing, but fear is another thing altogether.

3. Isn't the behavior of the person the most important thing?

4. Maybe its another CCW permit holder. (even a friend from this site)

5. Do you fear strangers with guns at the range? Are you able to enjoy your time there if you are always on "high alert" ?

6. What about being "innocent until proven guilty?" Yes, we are individuals (not courts) and we make up some of our rules/guidelines, but isn't this a good guideline to use when people are acting calm and non-aggressive towards us?

Nope, I don't fear guns, and I don't fear people with guns. I very attentive to people with guns that I don't know. If someone is in say the grocery store with a gun out then I am not "scared" but I making some distance because if you are either a good guy or a bad guy I don't want to be around if lead starts flying.

I don't fear guns, or people with guns. I have been handling guns for the past 44 years, served in the military (in a war zone), and served and retired from the Delaware State Police. I am very aware of other people, I have been picking out weapons of all sorts on people for many years and have become quite good at it. Once you identify a weapon, the next step is observing the person and their actions, that will tell me what I need to do from that point forward.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Only if its pointed at me.

Depends.. High crime area? Is the gun legally and properly displayed on the persons hip? Is there a reason the gun should be out of the holster? Do you Really know the persons intentions? What is odd behavior to YOU?

If the gun is holstered on a persons hip where open carry is allowed. NO problem! If not, yep..... we got a problem weezie.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I don't fear guns, or people with guns. I have been handling guns for the past 44 years, served in the military (in a war zone), and served and retired from the Delaware State Police. I am very aware of other people, I have been picking out weapons of all sorts on people for many years and have become quite good at it. Once you identify a weapon, the next step is observing the person and their actions, that will tell me what I need to do from that point forward.

Good points, I saw a guy OC'ing in Walloy World the other day, thigh rig, and HCP badge on the front of the holster. He was with who I assume were his two children. I didn't perceive him to be a danger.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by romansten9 View Post
    After reading some of the posts here, it seems that there are those that fear the sight of a gun being carried by someone. (such as in a holster, or a bulge that looks like a gun) Or if someone takes out a gun that is in a holster or a case, but the person is acting calm and non-threatening. Some people have even said that they go into condition red immediately upon seeing a gun. I think having a plan is good, but do you react strongly to the mere sight of a gun, or more to the actions of the PERSON? If you enter condition orange for a few seconds while you look at the person's behavior that is one thing, but condition red?

1. If you are a gun lover, why do you fear guns? This is what the anti-gun people do.

2. If you don't fear a hammer or nail gun in a calm person's hand, then why fear a firearm? A car is every bit as lethal as a gun, so do you fear cars when you cross the street? A healthy respect for cars and guns is one thing, but fear is another thing altogether.

5. Do you fear strangers with guns at the range? Are you able to enjoy your time there if you are always on "high alert" ?

6. What about being "innocent until proven guilty?" Yes, we are individuals (not courts) and we make up some of our rules/guidelines, but isn't this a good guideline to use when people are acting calm and non-aggressive towards us?
    I personally don't see many post about people going code red when seeing a firearm. If I see person oc'ing I may give a 2nd look to see who made his holster but that is about it. If I see a guy in a hoodie carrying Mexican style I may be a little more cautious. Yes I am guilty of profiling SUE ME.

Sounds like an oxymoron to me. A gun lover does not fear guns. If a gun lover is afraid of someone holding a gun, it's a fear of the person holding the gun due to the circumstances of the situation, not a fear of the gun itself.

I think the obvious answer is that a hammer is a tool made for a nonviolent purpose, whereas a handgun is a tool which is made solely for the purpose of injuring or killing people. People do not usually buy tools which they do not intend to use. Therefore by carrying a handgun, anyone who sees you may rightfully assume that you are prepared to kill someone, and also that you have the means to do so easily. They just don't know under what circumstances you are prepared to kill (self defense? revenge? unprovoked?)

If you are casually walking around in public holding handgun, they should be scared.

Carrying a gun is a behavior of a person. When you strap a gun on your belt you are making a conscious decision to be prepared to kill someone that day, either in self defense, or for some other reason. Many people are not even aware of their 2A rights so if they see you wearing a gun they may not understand that there is an explanation other than "he wants to shoot up the mall."

If you see someone who is clearly incompetent using a gun, then you might naturally be afraid of them. I have heard a lot of stories about idiots in the range pointing loaded guns in their faces without even realizing it's a bad thing to do.

So, you wouldn't be afraid if I whipped out a gun and pointed it in your face and said "I'm going to blow your brains out %%%%!!"

I think you would be scared even though I have not proven to you that I am going to shoot you. I could just be joking. Are you going to wait for proof (me shooting you) before you get scared?

"innocent until proven guilty" has nothing to do with when you should start fearing a person, and everything to do with when the judicial system will start punishing a person.
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar

Thumbs down

What is the O.P. answer to his own questions?

I wouldn't fear seeing a gun but I would have a healthy respect for it

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The sight of a gun on someone's hip doesn't bother me in the least. It just makes me curious as to what it is! A BG's either gonna have it concealed or in hand, and that would set off the alarms.

Once as a wild teenager, I had a fellow shove a .45 auto in my face. I was going to beat the crap out of him for his unprovoked attack on me, so I guess you can say he used it in SD. It sure saved him from a butt-kicking that night.

A week or two later, same guy shot at a friend's car and left a gouge in the fender. The fellow had issues. Liked to start fights and then pull a guy whenever someone stood up to him.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I don't
    I've never understood the fear either
    The behavior is always the most important factor

A poorly concealed handgun will set me on alert depending on the situation. Not a print that only another CCW holder would ever notice, but the hastily thrown under a hoodie on the way into 7-11 type of carry.

the range is relaxing :)
    Pretty much.

I've only feared the gun in two specific situation. Once when a mugger had it stuck in my ribs and another time at the range when some brainless idiot was muzzling me while his finger was in the trigger guard. And even in those two situations it wasn't really the gun, but the person in control (or should I say possession) of it.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar

I don't fear guns

Depends. If the person is calm with a hammer in his hands and we are at a hardware store then I'm cool, however if I'm walking down the street and the guy just pulls out a hammer, then I"m not cool. The same as a gun.

Some people can kill someone and be calm like a bomb. There is just some places were if someone unholster their gun, flags will rise no matter how clam they are.

Maybe, maybe not

No. The range is a place were you can unholster your gun

Innocent until proven guilty works in courts, not with me. If your in the street, in a supermarket, park, etc and you unholster your gun, there is a problem.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

[QUOTE=sentioch;1653697]Sounds like an oxymoron to me. A gun lover does not fear guns. If a gun lover is afraid of someone holding a gun, it's a fear of the person holding the gun due to the circumstances of the situation, not a fear of the gun itself.

I think the obvious answer is that a hammer is a tool made for a nonviolent purpose, whereas a handgun is a tool which is made solely for the purpose of injuring or killing people.

I would have to respectfully disagree. I don't consider a handgun to be a tool made for killing or injuring people. It has that capability, but many people use them for target shooting. Other people use them as a deterrent without having to fire a shot. Thousands of tools are used to injure/kill people. I would fear a person holding a hammer (with evil intent) but would not fear a person holding a gun without evil intent. (such as a person shooting down-range next to me) Your comment about handguns being tools made to injure/kill people sounds a lot like the anti-gun crowd. I intend to never use my gun for "its intended purpose" as you describe it.

If you are casually walking around in public holding handgun, they should be scared.

In my post I primarily referred to guns in holsters or cases. I wouldn't take my eyes off of a stranger walking around holding a handgun in public, that is an odd BEHAVIOR, which is exactly my point.

Carrying a gun is a behavior of a person.

I agree that carrying a gun involves a certain mindset, but I do not see carrying a gun as a behavior to be feared. In the "old days" nearly everybody carried a gun on their hip. It was as normal as a pair of boots on someone's feet. I see the carry of guns as completely normal, the way it should be. I fear the person's possible evil intent, not the gun.

If you see someone who is clearly incompetent using a gun, then you might naturally be afraid of them. I have heard a lot of stories about idiots in the range pointing loaded guns in their faces without even realizing it's a bad thing to do.

I agree

So, you wouldn't be afraid if I whipped out a gun and pointed it in your face and said "I'm going to blow your brains out %%%%!!"

Of course I would, you are re-enforcing my EXACT point here! Your scenario shows a very bad behavior/attitude for a couple primary reasons: 1. You are pointing a gun at my face 2. You are making threatening comments Either one of these 2 things would cause me to be afraid for my life and act accordingly. In contrast, if you left your gun in your holster and were acting calm and non-threatening I would not have any reason to fear you.
    Last edited by romansten9; June 9th, 2010 at 08:08 PM. Reason: fixed error

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links