Lesson from TV show

Lesson from TV show

This is a discussion on Lesson from TV show within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I watched a real life TV show last night. This is NOT intended to find fault with the victim. After it was over I thought ...

Lesson from TV show

I watched a real life TV show last night. This is NOT intended to find fault with the victim. After it was over I thought of what could I learn from this sad tale. Here is the story; a young man saw a car for sale on Craig's list. He met with the seller at a resturant several days before the sale took place. The seller was rude and somewhat hostile (flag#1). Agreement was made for a cash only deal (flag#2) and the buyer (victim)was directed to a somewhat secluded meeting place (flag#3) after dark (flag#4). Upon arrival the seller did not arrive (flag#5) a strange person approached (flag#6) looked up and down the street ( flag#7) before he produced a gun. The buyer had a CCW and reached for his gun but was killed before firing a shot. The seller and shooter were working together. All seven flags could be totally innocent and this could have a happy ending. What I learned from this is that carrying a weapon does not make me totally safe. SA is key, caution and refusal to be led into an uncontrolled situation is the lesson I learned from this. There is always someting more to be learned.
    In a gun fight, you can not miss fast enough, to catch up.

Yup good lessons learned from that scene.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I didn't see that show, but you're right. If your spidy senses are tingling, pay attention.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    The buyer had a CCW and reached for his gun but was killed before firing a shot.
    This could never happen. Everyone just knows that they can outdraw an already drawn gun, and that violent resistance is always the best option... Right?

More seriously, this is a sad tale, and one that could have been avoided looooong before anyone's gun came out. Refusing to meet at night, in an isolated environment, with a big wad of cash on hand, is basic common (uncommon) sense...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Timezoneguy View Post
    I watched a real life TV show last night. This is NOT intended to find fault with the victim. After it was over I thought of what could I learn from this sad tale. Here is the story; a young man saw a car for sale on Craig's list. He met with the seller at a resturant several days before the sale took place. The seller was rude and somewhat hostile (flag#1). Agreement was made for a cash only deal (flag#2) and the buyer (victim)was directed to a somewhat secluded meeting place (flag#3) after dark (flag#4). Upon arrival the seller did not arrive (flag#5) a strange person approached (flag#6) looked up and down the street ( flag#7) before he produced a gun. The buyer had a CCW and reached for his gun but was killed before firing a shot. The seller and shooter were working together. All seven flags could be totally innocent and this could have a happy ending. What I learned from this is that carrying a weapon does not make me totally safe. SA is key, caution and refusal to be led into an uncontrolled situation is the lesson I learned from this. There is always someting more to be learned.
    In bold is the most important statement of all. A weapon is one piece of dealing with a threat that surfaces when all other risk mitigation practices have failed to prevent it.
    It's sad when it has to be illustrated this way, but too many people have the impression that a gun is somehow a magic tallisman that neutralizes bad guys by its mere presence.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Quote Originally Posted by Timezoneguy View Post
    The story has a lot of details. If the guy was killed how does the writer, of the story not the OP, know these details?

Anyway, CL sales have been used as a setup for awhile. I always meet at a public place for a transaction. I prefer the lot next to the gate on post, there are a dozen armed guards 20 m away.
    "When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the
    scabbard." -General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Bad deal.
    I went with my son, out in the boonies to purchase/pick up and older vehicle for restoration, from a CL listing. There were several adult males at the location.
    We were both trained, experienced, strapped and in crimson until we had it on the trailer and out of there.

It's sad the victim could not see where this incident was leading!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Links