Does the revolver have any use for CCW??????

This is a discussion on Does the revolver have any use for CCW?????? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; razor is right! with 3 or more BG, you're in big trouble.... even with 46 rounds...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Does the revolver have any use for CCW??????

razor is right! with 3 or more BG, you're in big trouble.... even with 46 rounds
    got to texas as fast as i could...Fuhgeddaboudit!

2. Remove Ads

revolvers do have a place.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I think of it as self defense, not battle... If I'm attacked by a gang, I've put myself in the wrong place to begin with...

Yes, I had a coworker friend mugged stabbed and left for dead by 4 BGs... Truth be told, he put himself in the situation. He lived (by the grace of GOD).

But, the bottom line is that he conciously put himself in a very risky scenario...

I no longer carry a revolver. But even over 30 years, the revolver's "hands down reliability" over the pistol has diminished significantly (generally speaking).

I carry a 6+1 semiauto DA/SA pistol... It is concealable, effective protection.. unless I'm going into battle. I don't plan on doing that any time soon.

In Iowa concealed generally means concealed.... though there is nothing in the old law or the soon to be in effect law that requires concealment. Currently, your permit can be revoked for any reason/excuse/whim by the sheriff.

With heat indices of 90+ I choose not to wear enough outer garments to hide 4 mags, a primary and secondary handgun, a knife, a baton..

And, I've gone overboatrd in answering...

Yes a revolver is plenty for SD... and allows much more freedom in where you can safely go than no gun at all, and only slightly less than "loaded for (a gang of) bear(s)."

YMMV

I bet the revolver I am holding in my pocket is quicker than your holstered Glock. I bet the second revolver in my coat pocket pointing at your abdomen is faster than your holstered Glock.

Tactics may be different with a revolver, but I don't see it any less effective.

3 perps, 2 rds for each, 1 still there if needed , take cover / reload, 2-3 shots for any still standing. Being able to make a "lot" shots with a semi does not make them more effective because they can throw more rounds around.

I can put 7 shots in a revolver in a tighter grouping as fast as 9-10 shots out of semi-auto with a grouping that's not as good. Which one do I rely on in a stress situation where accuracy and speed counts ? Give me the revolver.

It's a bit of like learning to hunt with a shotgun. Do you give them an auto shotgun, or a single shot to learn with ? Why ? Because they will learn to make that single shot a good one.

I think a 5 shot revolver is hoping you don't have more than 1 BG, or the 2nd one will run off, or it will be a close range battle.

Me.... semi-auto with 2 extra mags + 5 shot revolver b/up, or 7-shot revolver (2 speedloaders) with a PF9 as the backup w/2 mags.

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Times are definitely changing. Besides gangs, we've got the preamblings of war with our southern neighbor.
    Wow, that's a new one for me. I guess I need to catch up on the news...

I always carry Two Revolvers and reloads for each

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    I would say it depends on the city or area of the country that you live in. Obviously if you live a larger city that has a higher crime rate, you should probably be considering the semi-auto with extra mags. In some areas/towns tho, you would be very well served by a 5 shot revolver.
    I agree, someone living in a high crime major city may not be a prepared caring revolver, eeven one of the higher capacity 7 or 8 round smiths, and maybe better served by a auto with 12 to 15 rounds and and a spare mag or two. If you live in a low crime city or a less populated area , a revovler can be just fine. I carry both, depends on what I'm doing. My auto has a seven round capacity plus 1 and I carry 1 reload. My revolers are 5 and 6 rounders, and I carry 1 or 2 reloads.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

I'm surprised there are no comments regarding one of the biggest advantages of revolvers. They are highly reliable. Carrying endless mags for a semi-auto won't do any good if you get a jam. Even if you think your gun could never jam, its always a possibility. Even if your gun could be considered "perfect" there is always a chance of a bad round. You can always practice "clearing drills" but there are many situations when the time it takes to clear will be too late to get the next shot off. In some cases a BUG might be better than just a lot of extra mags. (whether a pistol or revolver as a BUG) Chances are good that 2 guns won't jam, and a revolver as a BUG might be a real good option even if you don't think it has the capacity to be your primary.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce21b View Post
    after going through my own ordeal several months ago facing multiple assailants, i have been reading articles of late where a CCW holder has faced more than one criminal......just read an article of a Florida man who was jumped by three armed goons, who asked for his money and started shooting BEFORE he even had a chance to comply.....the good guy was able to pull his gun and unload on them, only after being shot four times.....

With todays criminal-element mostly running in "packs", i just cant see where a revolver should even be considered for CCW....as a matter of fact, im even thinking of carrying a SECOND mag for my G19, making a total of 46 rounds.....

this may sound excessive, but i think a semi auto and two spare mags is a minimum.......

anybody else think this way????????
    Bruce with all due respect I ask. Are you asking these questions from the perspective of having seen "the beast" or perhaps a little paranoia?

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Bruce with all due respect I ask. Are you asking these questions from the perspective of having seen "the beast" or perhaps a little paranoia?
    Hi,

neither one.........

I have just really noticed the number of incidents lately where there are more than one perp, and just wondering what peoples thoughts are about revolvers in these situations.....i notice when im in a gunshop and a woman is looking for a gun for self-defense, they usually always look at 5-shot snubbies......

there is not a thing wrong with a revolver, but against multiple assailants im not sure its the best choice.........

and i totally agree with the above poster about revolver "reliability"........i would take a 5-shot 38 anyday over the Glock 32 that i owned a while back.....it was a JAM-O-MATIC.....once shot/jam/one shot/jam etc.....with autos making sure it is reliable is priority-one.........

and all the home invasions on the news now are mostly "three armed assailants broke into a home"..........

times are a changing........

great discussion, especailly for any newbies

and all the home invasions on the news now are mostly "three armed assailants broke into a home"..........
    That's a whole different ball game, at my house they won't be up against a handgun.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The old "how much ammo do I need" issue again. Carry what you think you'll need, be it one BG or a gang of fifty. There's always going to be that "what if" factor. What if there's two of them (or 3,4 10, 20)? Start toting around a lot of spare mags and see how long it takes to shed some.

I'm trying to attach a shoulder strap to a .50 cal ammo can suffed with .45 ACPs. Never can carry too much ammo.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I'm trying to attach a shoulder strap to a .50 cal ammo can suffed with .45 ACPs. Never can carry too much ammo.
    I have some of those, that's gonna be heavy.

Hi,

neither one.........

I have just really noticed the number of incidents lately where there are more than one perp, and just wondering what peoples thoughts are about revolvers in these situations.....i notice when im in a gunshop and a woman is looking for a gun for self-defense, they usually always look at 5-shot snubbies......

there is not a thing wrong with a revolver, but against multiple assailants im not sure its the best choice.........

and i totally agree with the above poster about revolver "reliability"........i would take a 5-shot 38 anyday over the Glock 32 that i owned a while back.....it was a JAM-O-MATIC.....once shot/jam/one shot/jam etc.....with autos making sure it is reliable is priority-one.........

times are a changing........

great discussion, especailly for any newbies
    Hey bruce, I read your post about what happened to you the other day.

I respectfully submit to you that things would have gone exactly the same if you came up with a revolver in your hand instead of a semi-auto.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links