Does the revolver have any use for CCW?????? - Page 3

Does the revolver have any use for CCW??????

This is a discussion on Does the revolver have any use for CCW?????? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wouldn't feel undergunned with a revolver. It all boils down to tactics. As long as a person knows how to use his wheel gun.... ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Does the revolver have any use for CCW??????

I wouldn't feel undergunned with a revolver.

It all boils down to tactics. As long as a person knows how to use his wheel gun....

What's that quote by Clint Smith? "You don't need an expensive gun, you just need to learn how to run the gun you got."

We're talking about the lack of ammo capacity for revolvers. In a comparison, Clint Smith can show a person how to effectively run double barrel shotguns for defense, something a lot of people would be aghast to do, because of the apparent lack of ammo.

Bottom line, all guns run out of ammo, eventually. Learn how to keep them fed efficiently, and you're good to go.

Excellent thread, Bruce. I believe you've posed a worthwhile question.

On a side note: There is a theory that a person can actually shoot a revolver faster than a semi-auto. Granted, there's training and skill involved, but the theory is that the semi takes time for the slide to action and set up the next shot, while the revolver you can fire as fast as you can pull the trigger. The old saying: "the hand is quicker than the eye" applies in this theory.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    On a side note: There is a theory that a person can actually shoot a revolver faster than a semi-auto. Granted, there's training and skill involved, but the theory is that the semi takes time for the slide to action and set up the next shot, while the revolver you can fire as fast as you can pull the trigger. The old saying: "the hand is quicker than the eye" applies in this theory.
    I would disagree with that. Try this. Hold the semi in your off hand, then stiff finger the trigger with you strong hand. You can achieve subgun rates of fire with some practice.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I would disagree with that. Try this. Hold the semi in your off hand, then stiff finger the trigger with you strong hand. You can achieve subgun rates of fire with some practice.
    Please don't try that at home.... it is called bump firing and it is a good way to accidentally shoot yourself or someone.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    Please don't try that at home.... it is called bump firing and it is a good way to accidentally shoot yourself or someone.
    It is not bump firing. Bump firing uses a stable finger with the recoil of the weapon propelling it back and forth to achieve firing. This uses an actual motion of the finger to fire each round, while the weapon remains stable in the holding hand.

It is not bump firing. Bump firing uses a stable finger with the recoil of the weapon propelling it back and forth to achieve firing. This uses an actual motion of the finger to fire each round, while the weapon remains stable in the holding hand.
    soooo.... the thing kids do at the arcade? I'm sorry it still doesn't sound any safer.

Rate of fire aside.... rapid firing a revolver isn't usually the best strategy as you have less rounds then you would with a semi automatic. Acquiring your target and engaging is better then spraying bullets in the general direction.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

bruce21b,

Given what happened to you, your world has been colored condition red. Imagine I could do the same, but life is not worth that level of fear.

Don't get me wrong. Very often when I leave town, I carry two Glocks (one as a BUG) with two extra mags. That is 55 rounds, not counting the snub tucked in the car somewhere with 2 reloaders (that is 15 rounds). In the trunk I have around 350 rounds in an ammo can. That leaves out any shotguns, .22 LRs, or other rifles I might have with me. If something were to happen, I would make the news.

When I travel around town, I pocket carry a snub, if I'm a little unsure, I'll grab the baby glock, maybe an extra mag. If I feel even less sure, I don't go (well, unless it is someplace that does not allow firearms, as rare as that event is for me, then I just go, and let god's will be done).

I feel safe in both situations. It is all about the odds, and overwhelmingly the snub makes you just about as safe as a Glock with two mags. There is going to be something else to fear, but as long as you carry something, your odds improve greatly.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

soooo.... the thing kids do at the arcade? I'm sorry it still doesn't sound any safer.

Rate of fire aside.... rapid firing a revolver isn't usually the best strategy as you have less rounds then you would with a semi automatic. Acquiring your target and engaging is better then spraying bullets in the general direction.
    First. I have done it for thirty years. When done with proper concern it is not unsafe. So you consider Jerry Miculek a kid in an arcade?

Second. I agree with this part.

It's just a theory that I passed along. I do think it has merit, though. Ole Bob Munden could shoot faster with a single action revolver than any of us with our semi-autos.

The human body is capable of far greater speeds than anything mechanical.

It's probably going to be quite relative to the equipment used... You know, like a 24# trigger pull or something crazy like that.

Theory aside, the item in question isn't really the mechanics, or rate of fire of revolvers; it's the lack of ammo instantly available to launch into the ether.

The same argument has been discussed regarding single stacks vs. double stacks. A person has to make a real personal judgement call and make his own risk assessment and proceed accordingly.

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Stressfire reload for revolver, video by Massad Ayoob

Here's a story about a guy who evolved from revolvers to semi-autos. Notice that his tactics didn't change, though. He didn't reload. He emptied is pistol and went for another:
    The Lessons of Lance Thomas

Here's a video report of the same guy.

I do believe he could've survived the same, had the same outcome, because it was his mindset and tactics that won, more so than his equipment.

More reading from Ayoob: Is a .38 Snub Enough?

Note the use of the Safariland Comp III loaders.

First. I have done it for thirty years. When done with proper concern it is not unsafe. So you consider Jerry Miculek a kid in an arcade?
    I don't understand what you are talking about. I was talking about the technique you where describing not the act of rapidly firing.

I don't understand what you are talking about. I was talking about the technique you where describing not the act of rapidly firing.
    This will be my last post on this subject as I do not wish to deviate the OP's thread further.

JM, recently did a demonstration on video to demonstrate rapid firing using the same technique.

I often carry a 7 shot revolver.

I know a woman who defended herself quite well against 3 BG's who had entered her house to rape her. She pulled the gun and they didn't think she would use it, so they advanced on her anyway. Two were dead, and the other one was shot and in critical condition, but survived.... and she had a 7 or 8 shot .380.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    Don't get me wrong. Very often when I leave town, I carry two Glocks (one as a BUG) with two extra mags. That is 55 rounds, not counting the snub tucked in the car somewhere with 2 reloaders (that is 15 rounds). In the trunk I have around 350 rounds in an ammo can. That leaves out any shotguns, .22 LRs, or other rifles I might have with me. If something were to happen, I would make the news.
    You musta been a boyscout, you're certainly prepared... and your gas mileage must suck, what with an extra hundred pounds of hardware you're hauling around.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    You musta been a boyscout, you're certainly prepared... and your gas mileage must suck, what with an extra hundred pounds of hardware you're hauling around.
    Na, thats like 5 or so max pounds on me and maybe 40 pounds total ammo / firearms (and that is an over estimation in weight). Nothing on gas milage.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links