Does the revolver have any use for CCW??????

This is a discussion on Does the revolver have any use for CCW?????? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just as mere carrying of a handgun does not equal safety the mere carrying of a hi cap semi auto does not mean you will ...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Does the revolver have any use for CCW??????

VIP Member
    Just as mere carrying of a handgun does not equal safety the mere carrying of a hi cap semi auto does not mean you will hit what you aim at and neutralize the threat.
    Depending on your ability with a handgun a revolver will handle whatever needs you have, but you have to be able to hit and neutralize your target with one or two rounds and not waste ammo. Reloading must be practiced for it to become engrained enough for it to be become useful.
    I carry both when I am home and dont feel undergunned with either.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

2. Remove Ads

Of course revolvers have a place in CCW.

If they don't then a lot of people are making big mistakes and have been for decades.
    Seen the rates of sales of snubs lately?
    If feel comfortable carrying a revolver. Most SD shootings are a couple shots of on average. Multiple attackers don't usually hang around after the "victim" fires a shot at one of them.

The stats on ever needing a gun once in life, period, are overwhelmingly against the need. God knows what the further unlikelihood would be of needing more than 6 shots. Your emergency brakes on your car could fail also - after your regular brakes do so. This is not a concern of mine because the chances are so remote. Neither is needing more than 6 shots in an SD shooting.

bruce21b... I love your posts and have a great deal of respect for you.

The bottom line is, revolvers have worked for ccw for well over 150 years.

Can you get into a situation where the limited ammo capacity and slower reload of a revolver be a bad combination for the situation facing you? Absolutely!

However, I have trusted my life to a good revolver in the past and still do so from time to time.

However, I usually carry two guns. At times they have both been revolvers, (one 6 shot and one 5 shot) and at times I've carried one 5 shot snubby.

However, you have a valid point and concern about facing multiple opponents and the problem of limited capacity and slower reloading with the revolver.

I have the same concerns and it is for that reason that now days, I usually carry two hi-capacity auto loaders. A G-23 as my primary and an XD9sc for my BUG, and at least one reload for each. Often times I throw in a mousy LCP for good measure simply because it's so small, light weight so, why not?

Still I think it's going to be a very long time before revolvers fall out of the mix. I am fond of them, I shoot them well, I think stainless Ruger Revolvers are pretty, and I still rely on them from time to time to save my life. My wife still carries her SP-101 as her primary gun and her new Ruger LCP as her BUG.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    That's a whole different ball game, at my house they won't be up against a handgun.
    +1 at least a shotgun, if not a rifle!
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I would disagree with that. Try this. Hold the semi in your off hand, then stiff finger the trigger with you strong hand. You can achieve subgun rates of fire with some practice.
    Right! Try that when a hoodie comes up to you in a dimly lit parking lot with gun in hand demanding yo money. Might as well pull out the cowboy revolver and "fan it."
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Let's be realistic here, we all read about dirtbag encounters daily within these threads. Have you ever heard of anyone changing mags in the middle of an encounter? An up close and in your face encounter?

Anyone who goes through a 10-12 round mag in a parking lot scenario is already bitting off a pretty big problem...fighting back the Mexican army, perhaps?

I would think that a semi-auto or a revolver would do just fine if you have practiced and trained. Five or six shots of .357 or .38 is going to repel (if it's not your day to meet your maker) 99% of the dirtbag encounters the average WalMart parking lot shopper might someday contend with...I'm just sayin'...

If I have my Glock-36 (6 + 1), my Glock-26 (10 + 1), my S&W 637 (6)...soon to be a Ruger SP101...or even my KelTec .380...I feel that I'm ready to defend myself from MOST of the potentials 'ills' of society. Sure there is always the chance of walking into a bank robbery, or having my car stall in the middle of a biker gang shootout, but I'll take my chances.
    The important things include a firearm that you trust, know, and practice with...OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Right! Try that when a hoodie comes up to you in a dimly lit parking lot with gun in hand demanding yo money. Might as well pull out the cowboy revolver and "fan it."
    That was in response to a side issue subject, not suggseted as a tactic.

I haven't seen this being talked about yet. What about the legal aspect of a self defense shooting, if the police find 2-3 spare magazines on you? Do you think it would give the appearance that you went "looking" for a fight? Also on the active shooter scenario..Have you ever been in combat, are you prepared for an all out firefight? What is your plan if you are involved, are you firing to cover your (and loved ones) escape or are you planning on suppressing/taking the fight to the bad guys?
    So does it really matter if it's a revolver or an auto as long as it sends rounds down range? personally I carry a full sized sig 9mm, and my wife prefers a .38 revolver.

You auto guys leave the poor revolvers alone

Nice one

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I think revolvers definitely have there place in the CCW world.

I highly recommend them to a "completely" inexperienced newbie who is NOT interested in practicing regularly or pursuing continued training. I also think they are well suited as a "bug" or 2nd gun.

(If you need to enlist help from someone in a confrontational or detainment situation, revolvers are easy enough for almost anyone to use.)

I too feel that revolvers are a great asset and have done plenty in the realm of self defense. But for me, it's my "backup".
    My primary is an XD .45. At (13+1), I feel more comfortable knowing I may not need it, but those "extra rounds" are there. (plus another mag of 10)

My Taurus 605, .357 revolver is the "backup" to THAT, with another speedclip (5x2).

And then there's the Keltec .380 as well.

I'd rather have a semi-auto, but I doooooo love my .357 wheelgun!
    Stop acting like we're fightin' for "freedom". We are ALREADY....free.

revolvers are still a worthy CCW carry

My CCW is a Taurus 650 .357 revolver. I NEVER feel like I am underarmed.

See

SnubTraining.com
    Last edited by hogdoc357; June 12th, 2010 at 05:31 PM. Reason: addition

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Well, I'm sorry, I don't know of any safehaven place anymore where I shouldn't be in the first place if it takes more then 5 or 6 shots. I've heard that worn out statement once to many times (no disrespect meant towards anyone), but there is no safehaven, wherever I am is where I am meant to be, want to be or need to be.

Is the revolver still a good CCW weapon, yes I think it is since I carry one, not all revolvers are 5 shots as I saw someone mention a 5 shot on here (don't know if they meant only 5 shot revolvers), but they now have the 7 shot revolver out, no different then some of the the 1911's. Sure, I'm not saying a good auto wouldn't suit some purposes better, but for me, revolvers have worked for almost 30 years, they'll work for another 20 years, by then I'll be like Clint in Gran Torino.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    I have four semi-autos and one revolver. That one revolver is a Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum. I love my semi-autos, but the one gun that is closest to being "guaranteed" of going "bang" every time is the GP100. Have you ever used speed loaders? With a little practice you can get the reloading drill down to a second or two.

But I strictly carry semi-autos for the capacity, slimmer profile, and less weight.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

I've had more experience with revolvers over the years and carry a 649 Bodyguard daily. I've always felt confident in my ability. I've read and heard many times that is is more the demonstrated intent or willingness of a person to defend themselves that deters most criminals rather than the type of gun in use. With that said, looking down the business end of a .45 would be more intimidating than a .22 but I think most low life's would move on to an easier target rather than risk getting shot with any kind of firearm.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links