Does the revolver have any use for CCW??????

This is a discussion on Does the revolver have any use for CCW?????? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by BlueLion Yes, revolvers have a place and always will. But, nothing beats an auto that's working with more than 10 rounds and ...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Does the revolver have any use for CCW??????

Quote Originally Posted by BlueLion View Post
    Yes, revolvers have a place and always will. But, nothing beats an auto that's working with more than 10 rounds and a extra mag when a pack attacks.
    a Bug is probably better than an extra mag
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    a Bug is probably better than an extra mag
    Probably, but that would depend on the access of the BUG.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcabin View Post
    Kind of ironic, you mention training, yet you didn't tell anyone to actually get professional training. For what it's worth, the amount of time and money spent on ammo and range trips, one could pay a couple hundred and attend a training course with reputable trainers and walk out after a day or two with the level of skill it would have taken you thousands of rounds to learn, the hard way.
    I agree with what you're saying. There is nothing that can replace a great instructor. However, today there are so many other ways to learn. With all of the great videos on places like YOUTUBE, a person can learn a lot by watching someone else and then going to the range and doing the same thing. Not as good as hiring an instructor, but I think a person could still learn a LOT by doing this over several weeks. (compared to only 2 days with an instructor) It would take more time, but some people could even become better trained this way, because its all they can afford.

While every situation is unique, there must be generalizations that can be made. Regrettably, I can see I've just scratched the surface as far as what likely defensive encounters might look like.

When approached by a group that raises my suspicions, I'm going to be in the early stage of a draw before they get 'too close' (I would hope). Now, I'm a newbie to the entire defensive mind-set, and newly carrying a firearm, but I wasn't born yesterday. I would hope to be situationally aware, enough to see 'em coming, to sense the group's energy level and intent best I can. (But that's probably what the minding-his-own-business dude who took four rounds said, too). I'm not waiting for 'proof' before I go 100% defensive. Which is not to say I'm going to shoot the place up prematurely, but I sure as hell want to be as offensively defensive as possible. I'd prefer to be explaining a possible brandishment issue to law enforcement than reviewing my medical insurance from a hospital bed.

Wow. I need to put together a personal training program and head to the range regularly until I'm able to react, not think about, executing basic mechanics. I don't believe a formal training program would do me much good until I reach a minimum level of proficiency, and comfortableness, with my carry piece strong/weak hand, prone, kneeling, moving, re-loading, etc. Correctly evaluating threat prioritization won't mean diddly if I'm a fumbly-bumbly. Because my main gun is likely my future BUG, a 5-shot revolver, I do feel a bit naked thinking about a multiple force SHTF-type encounter.

Good thread.
    Stay safe, think safe.

Revolvers have every place in CCW

I have only been carrying for about 6 months now. I pack a S&W 442, which as most of you know only holds 5 rounds. I rarely ever carry a reload for it too, but I am working on getting out of that habit. I do not feel under gunned at all. I have a perfectly fine auto sitting at home that never sees any belt time, a Browning Hi-Power. I have also been looking into buying a full size M&P 40 cal, which will probably never see any belt time. I trust myself with the revolver, its small, always works and its just plain out classy to carry a wheel gun.

If I ever get to the moment where I use 1 of my rounds, I will be on a dead run for the next four rounds. I only play on the defense team, not my obligation or need to ever play offense in the CCW world.

I didn't realize it was about being classy...and of course you don't feel outgunned...you haven't needed to use it yet...and running may not always be an option

+1 on getting out of the habit of not carrying reloads :). if you are gonna carry a 5-shot carry some speed loaders or something
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    I didn't realize it was about being classy...and of course you don't feel outgunned...you haven't needed to use it yet...and running may not always be an option

+1 on getting out of the habit of not carrying reloads :). if you are gonna carry a 5-shot carry some speed loaders or something
    Classy was a touch of sarcasm, sorry it didn't come off as planned. I have been trying to carrying a couple of strips. I have a few speedloaders but they are just too bulky.

I am sure my thoughts will change the day I have to reach for it. But right now it works for me.

find cover and reload
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    Quote Originally Posted by claimed4all View Post
    If I ever get to the moment where I use 1 of my rounds, I will be on a dead run for the next four rounds. I only play on the defense team, not my obligation or need to ever play offense in the CCW world.
    That's short sighted.

I pocket carry my LCR all the time regardless of where I am at, it will be on me along with a speed strip of GD 135 +p's.

When I leave the house I always "strap up" my Glock 26 with spare 15 round mag. The combo of size, capacity, and just flat out "shootability" for me with the 26 is unmatched with any other gun. The 19 is a close second, but its really a bit big for my frame to tote all day every day. I'm just a lil' guy at 5'-7" 170 lbs....

I like this combo because I have the ability to slip my hand into my pocket casually if my "spidey sense" starts to tingle and be one movement away from putting a red dot on somones COM. If it goes wrong, I have the 5 shots avail or I can buy time to get to my Glock 26 at my 4 o'clock. I also like the idea of my snub being able to "roam". In the winter I can discreetly transfer it to my pocket on my outer coat and have much better accessibilty. What good is carrying guns when you have to fumble thorough 10 layers of fabric just to get to them and then try to clear all that.

Just my thoughts on the matter...

-Drew

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    I would say it depends on the city or area of the country that you live in. Obviously if you live a larger city that has a higher crime rate, you should probably be considering the semi-auto with extra mags. In some areas/towns tho, you would be very well served by a 5 shot revolver.
    agreed^^ it just all depends... but remember carrying a little 5 shot revolver or any revolver for that matter is better than not carrying at all.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcabin View Post
    Kind of ironic, you mention training, yet you didn't tell anyone to actually get professional training. For what it's worth, the amount of time and money spent on ammo and range trips, one could pay a couple hundred and attend a training course with reputable trainers and walk out after a day or two with the level of skill it would have taken you thousands of rounds to learn, the hard way.
    Jcabin,
    I agree with you. Just going to throwing lead down range isn't going to cut it. A professional training course to get you familiar with the techniques needed to fight with your gun, are important.

I guess I neglected to mention that since I got my training from Uncle Sugar, over many many years. Now that I am retired, I use IDPA as a training practice tool.

My biggest point was to get familiar with your gun and how it operates, and to be 100% confident in its reliability.

I'm just a lil' guy at 5'-7" 170 lbs....
    i'm 5'6" 165 lbs and carry a G19 every day.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I'm a big semi-auto fan. Anyone that is a "gear head" like me can't resist them. With a few exceptions, every semi-automatic I've owned (and currently own) have been quite reliable. I only have one revolver. But guess what my main carry guns is? Yup, the revolver. Before retiring I worked in the field of experimental testing for a lot of years (Experimental Engineering test Technician). I know things mechanical - I'm a mechanically minded guy - and I'm aware of how many things need to go exactly right, all at the same time, in order for a semi auto to function reliably. I also know that the most malfunction-inducing place a gun can find itself, is under our clothing - for weeks and months at a time. Lint, grit, sweat, you name it, all conspiring to make our beloved semi automatic pistols less than 100% reliable. I THINK my semi automatic guns are going to work all the time, and they usually do. But I KNOW my DAO revolver is going to work all the time. Malfunctions are so rare in the world of modern revolvers that it's not even worth mentioning. Maybe an anecdotal story here or there, but I've never seen it happen, and I don't believe any of my gun enthusiast friends have either. How about semi autos? I've lost track of how many times I've personally seen malfunctions happen with those, both for me as well as others The excuses are many: It wasn't broken in, it wasn't oiled enough, it was oiled to much, it didn't like that brand of ammo, it was too dirty, you limp wristed it, it had a bent shell casing , the ammo was slightly out of spec, the slide spring is tired, the magazine spring is tired, it has a bad magazine, the feed ramp needs polishing !!, you didn't hold your tongue just right.....ect ect. I guess most of those excuses are legit, and some aren't even the guns fault, but in the end the only thing that matters is that it malfunctioned. Who cares why? There are countless web sights and endless forum threads dedicated to problem solving these issues with semi automatic pistols. How about revolvers? You have to search far and wide to even see a mention of reliability problems with revolvers, and there certainly isn't a cottage industry of problem solving sites set up for them!

I do carry my semi autos from time to time, when the "gear head" side of my brain wins out over objective reasoning. Lets face it, semi automatic pistols are more fun to hold, look at, shoot and carry than are revolvers, and I'm not immune to that appeal either. But while I'm carrying one of them, I also know that even my most reliable semi automatics, sooner or later, are going to malfunction. And I know that Murphy's Law will probably make it happen at the worst possible time. So, the only time I really feel 100% confident in my gun, is when I am carrying my lil' J Frame (although any reputable revolver would make me feel the same. Ruger, Charter Arms, ect.). Some of you might think that a 5 round capacity isn't enough. I disagree, I think it is enough, and I carry 5 more just to be safe.

I'm not telling anyone not to carry a semi automatic, just that sooner or later, it is going to malfunction, for one of a thousand reasons. To those that would say "well, the police and military carry semi automatic pistols, so they should work for us too" My answer to that is that the police and military are both going out and actively confronting the bad guys, and they certainly have a legitimate reason for wanting a high capacity gun. In addition, the police are always carrying a back up gun (often a revolver), and our military guys are carrying their pistol as a back up to their main gun, a rifle. Either way, both are armed with two or more guns, negating in many ways the possible reliability issues of a semi automatic gun. For us guys out in the civilian world, we don't need go after the bad guys, to pursue them and apprehend them, we just need to get the criminal off from us and make him stop what he's doing, either by incapacitating him, or by just making him go away.. I don't think we need 15 to 40 rounds of ammo to do that, even if there is more than one criminal. Yes, there is a long odds chance that I could encounter a scenario that would require more rounds than I'm carrying on me, but I'll bet it never happens, just like my chances of winning the lottery

And remember, like I said, I am a fan of semi automatic handguns. As a gun enthusiast, other than my lone revolver, semi autos are my gun of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by brabham78 View Post
    I'm a big semi-auto fan. Anyone that is a "gear head" like me can't resist them. With a few exceptions, every semi-automatic I've owned (and currently own) have been quite reliable. I only have one revolver. But guess what my main carry guns is? Yup, the revolver. Before retiring I worked in the field of experimental testing for a lot of years (Experimental Engineering test Technician). I know things mechanical - I'm a mechanically minded guy - and I'm aware of how many things need to go exactly right, all at the same time, in order for a semi auto to function reliably. I also know that the most malfunction-inducing place a gun can find itself, is under our clothing - for weeks and months at a time. Lint, grit, sweat, you name it, all conspiring to make our beloved semi automatic pistols less than 100% reliable. I THINK my semi automatic guns are going to work all the time, and they usually do. But I KNOW my DAO revolver is going to work all the time. Malfunctions are so rare in the world of modern revolvers that it's not even worth mentioning. Maybe an anecdotal story here or there, but I've never seen it happen, and I don't believe any of my gun enthusiast friends have either. How about semi autos? I've lost track of how many times I've personally seen malfunctions happen with those, both for me as well as others The excuses are many: It wasn't broken in, it wasn't oiled enough, it was oiled to much, it didn't like that brand of ammo, it was too dirty, you limp wristed it, it had a bent shell casing , the ammo was slightly out of spec, the slide spring is tired, the magazine spring is tired, it has a bad magazine, the feed ramp needs polishing !!, you didn't hold your tongue just right.....ect ect. I guess most of those excuses are legit, and some aren't even the guns fault, but in the end the only thing that matters is that it malfunctioned. Who cares why? There are countless web sights and endless forum threads dedicated to problem solving these issues with semi automatic pistols. How about revolvers? You have to search far and wide to even see a mention of reliability problems with revolvers, and there certainly isn't a cottage industry of problem solving sites set up for them!

I do carry my semi autos from time to time, when the "gear head" side of my brain wins out over objective reasoning. Lets face it, semi automatic pistols are more fun to hold, look at, shoot and carry than are revolvers, and I'm not immune to that appeal either. But while I'm carrying one of them, I also know that even my most reliable semi automatics, sooner or later, are going to malfunction. And I know that Murphy's Law will probably make it happen at the worst possible time. So, the only time I really feel 100% confident in my gun, is when I am carrying my lil' J Frame (although any reputable revolver would make me feel the same. Ruger, Charter Arms, ect.). Some of you might think that a 5 round capacity isn't enough. I disagree, I think it is enough, and I carry 5 more just to be safe.

I'm not telling anyone not to carry a semi automatic, just that sooner or later, it is going to malfunction, for one of a thousand reasons. To those that would say "well, the police and military carry semi automatic pistols, so they should work for us too" My answer to that is that the police and military are both going out and actively confronting the bad guys, and they certainly have a legitimate reason for wanting a high capacity gun. In addition, the police are always carrying a back up gun (often a revolver), and our military guys are carrying their pistol as a back up to their main gun, a rifle. Either way, both are armed with two or more guns, negating in many ways the possible reliability issues of a semi automatic gun. For us guys out in the civilian world, we don't need go after the bad guys, to pursue them and apprehend them, we just need to get the criminal off from us and make him stop what he's doing, either by incapacitating him, or by just making him go away.. I don't think we need 15 to 40 rounds of ammo to do that, even if there is more than one criminal. Yes, there is a long odds chance that I could encounter a scenario that would require more rounds than I'm carrying on me, but I'll bet it never happens, just like my chances of winning the lottery

And remember, like I said, I am a fan of semi automatic handguns. As a gun enthusiast, other than my lone revolver, semi autos are my gun of choice.
    Excellent analysis by a professional, thorough, hits all the points...and I absolutely agree on the "number of shots" fallacy. It is so rare an issue - Ive never read one - that it is a non-issue. For LEOs it is a different story, for they can be involved in offensive - not defensive - situations, and sometimes against multiple BGs.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Links