Does the revolver have any use for CCW?????? - Page 7

Does the revolver have any use for CCW??????

This is a discussion on Does the revolver have any use for CCW?????? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by brabham78 I'm a big semi-auto fan. Anyone that is a "gear head" like me can't resist them. With a few exceptions, every ...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Does the revolver have any use for CCW??????

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brabham78 View Post
    I'm a big semi-auto fan. Anyone that is a "gear head" like me can't resist them. With a few exceptions, every semi-automatic I've owned (and currently own) have been quite reliable. I only have one revolver. But guess what my main carry guns is? Yup, the revolver. Before retiring I worked in the field of experimental testing for a lot of years (Experimental Engineering test Technician). I know things mechanical - I'm a mechanically minded guy - and I'm aware of how many things need to go exactly right, all at the same time, in order for a semi auto to function reliably. I also know that the most malfunction-inducing place a gun can find itself, is under our clothing - for weeks and months at a time. Lint, grit, sweat, you name it, all conspiring to make our beloved semi automatic pistols less than 100% reliable. I THINK my semi automatic guns are going to work all the time, and they usually do. But I KNOW my DAO revolver is going to work all the time. Malfunctions are so rare in the world of modern revolvers that it's not even worth mentioning. Maybe an anecdotal story here or there, but I've never seen it happen, and I don't believe any of my gun enthusiast friends have either. How about semi autos? I've lost track of how many times I've personally seen malfunctions happen with those, both for me as well as others The excuses are many: It wasn't broken in, it wasn't oiled enough, it was oiled to much, it didn't like that brand of ammo, it was too dirty, you limp wristed it, it had a bent shell casing , the ammo was slightly out of spec, the slide spring is tired, the magazine spring is tired, it has a bad magazine, the feed ramp needs polishing !!, you didn't hold your tongue just right.....ect ect. I guess most of those excuses are legit, and some aren't even the guns fault, but in the end the only thing that matters is that it malfunctioned. Who cares why? There are countless web sights and endless forum threads dedicated to problem solving these issues with semi automatic pistols. How about revolvers? You have to search far and wide to even see a mention of reliability problems with revolvers, and there certainly isn't a cottage industry of problem solving sites set up for them!

I do carry my semi autos from time to time, when the "gear head" side of my brain wins out over objective reasoning. Lets face it, semi automatic pistols are more fun to hold, look at, shoot and carry than are revolvers, and I'm not immune to that appeal either. But while I'm carrying one of them, I also know that even my most reliable semi automatics, sooner or later, are going to malfunction. And I know that Murphy's Law will probably make it happen at the worst possible time. So, the only time I really feel 100% confident in my gun, is when I am carrying my lil' J Frame (although any reputable revolver would make me feel the same. Ruger, Charter Arms, ect.). Some of you might think that a 5 round capacity isn't enough. I disagree, I think it is enough, and I carry 5 more just to be safe.

I'm not telling anyone not to carry a semi automatic, just that sooner or later, it is going to malfunction, for one of a thousand reasons. To those that would say "well, the police and military carry semi automatic pistols, so they should work for us too" My answer to that is that the police and military are both going out and actively confronting the bad guys, and they certainly have a legitimate reason for wanting a high capacity gun. In addition, the police are always carrying a back up gun (often a revolver), and our military guys are carrying their pistol as a back up to their main gun, a rifle. Either way, both are armed with two or more guns, negating in many ways the possible reliability issues of a semi automatic gun. For us guys out in the civilian world, we don't need go after the bad guys, to pursue them and apprehend them, we just need to get the criminal off from us and make him stop what he's doing, either by incapacitating him, or by just making him go away.. I don't think we need 15 to 40 rounds of ammo to do that, even if there is more than one criminal. Yes, there is a long odds chance that I could encounter a scenario that would require more rounds than I'm carrying on me, but I'll bet it never happens, just like my chances of winning the lottery

And remember, like I said, I am a fan of semi automatic handguns. As a gun enthusiast, other than my lone revolver, semi autos are my gun of choice.
    A thoughtful and nicely stated analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Times are changing, but by no means makes the revolver obsolete.

An update in tactics is what's needed. If a person chooses a wheel gun, for whatever reason, they just need to know how to manipulate it's advantages and minimize it's disadvantages.

If we continue on this present strain, admitting the low capacity as the vice of the revolver, the only end conclusion would be to carry sub-machine guns. Where do we draw the line?

But perhaps the line is being blurred into extinction...

Times are definitely changing. Besides gangs, we've got the preamblings of war with our southern neighbor.
    Many good points of consideration have been brought up in this thread.

I am one that carries a revolver at times, but if it is my "primary" I want two more along with reloads. When I'm carrying a "bottomfeeder" my minimum is two. The second gun may be a revolving pistol, or it may not be.

One consideration that was brought to light was this:

If we continue on this present strain, admitting the low capacity as the vice of the revolver, the only end conclusion would be to carry sub-machine guns. Where do we draw the line?
    I would much prefer to carry a longarm, and often have one available to me, but practical consideration makes the longarm unconcealable in the present day. Too bad we can't go to the Mall with our M4's, 870's and SOCOM's. To me it is sad that panic would result from the general populace if sight of a man or woman with an M4 was noted at the local shopping mall.

In any firearms encounter I would much rather be holding a longarm as opposed to a handgun.

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; June 20th, 2010 at 04:51 PM. Reason: quote tag added

In any firearms encounter I would much rather be holding a longarm as opposed to a handgun.
    I'd rather be in a Blackhawk Helicopter.

Software over hardware. The same determined individual who can fight and survive w/ an auto, is the SAME individual who can fight and survive w/ a revolver.

dan

Quote Originally Posted by Drew78 View Post
    I'm just a lil' guy at 5'-7" 170 lbs....

-Drew
    Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    i'm 5'6" 165 lbs and carry a G19 every day.

I'm 5'6" 150 lbs and alternately carry a G23 and a gov't 1911. I want to get a revolver to fill a BUG role, then I'll be carrying two
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Having carried one over many years and in many situations, both on and off, I have yet to find one wanting. That's not to say it can't happen, but I have never encountered it.

ETA: One of the most common reasons given for hi-cap autos is multiple perps. While circumstances are always important, I would proffer a thought. Going against multiple competent pistoleros on an even basis without cover, your odds are very poor, weapon capacity notwithstanding.

Not a good question to ask. Review the literature, you'll see that people use revolvers effectively for self-defense all the time.

Revolvers can be more comfortable and easier to conceal. For the urban warrior, it probably makes a lot of sense to have both semi-automatic and revolver options. Select your carry based on your mission.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

ETA: One of the most common reasons given for hi-cap autos is multiple perps. While circumstances are always important, I would proffer a thought. Going against multiple competent pistoleros on an even basis without cover, your odds are very poor, weapon capacity notwithstanding.
    I think your only good chance in this scenario would to be to have the initiative or the drop...
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I think a 5 shot revolver is fine. I carry either a 5 shot .38 (lcr) or 10 shot 9mm ( M&Pc). Both are reliable. I have never had a failure of any type with the M&P. Even if running up against 5 bad guys the revolver is fine. Don't you think the group will jump and scatter away after some shots. Most likely they all won't have a firearm Like was said, if they are all armed and willing to stand their ground it won't matter how many rounds you have. Both revolver and a quality semi are just fine for ccw.

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    I think your only good chance in this scenario would to be to have the initiative or the drop...
    That would definitely help. Whether it would be enough would depend on the number of perps and and the attributes of all involved.

Quote Originally Posted by can2boy View Post
    razor is right! with 3 or more BG, you're in big trouble.... even with 46 rounds
    You could continue this line of thought to the point of "What if you run into a crazed mob, like the New York "Wildings" of a few years back. You am carrying 46 rounds, and a tactical folder, but there are 80 attackers. You manage to stop the first 40 or so, and the rest are so enraged they literally tear you limb from limb.

Perhaps we should all buy private islands in the Carribbean and set up patrol boats and razor wire.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Does the revolver have any use for CCW??????
    Yes
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    You could continue this line of thought to the point of "What if you run into a crazed mob, like the New York "Wildings" of a few years back. You am carrying 46 rounds, and a tactical folder, but there are 80 attackers. You manage to stop the first 40 or so, and the rest are so enraged they literally tear you limb from limb.

Perhaps we should all buy private islands in the Carribbean and set up patrol boats and razor wire.
    TedBeau, excellent analogy

They need to stop worrying about those unlikely multiple gunman scenarios, and the best way to stop worrying about that is to stop lending so much credibility to all the nervous-nellies on the gun forums. If we were to live our lives based on their daily carry dooms-day scenarios, we'd all be armed to the teeth, hiding sawed-off 12ga semi-autos under our knee length trench coats, and backing that up with a pair of high capacity semi-auto pistols, with 4 extra magazines on our belt. And we'd be doing it for no good reason, because all you need is a reasonably potent handgun that is reliable and is a breeze to carry, so we'll always have it with us. For those long-odds what-if the sky falls scenario's? I guess I'll have to figure that out if it ever happens, but I don't think it will, and I'll tell you one thing - I'm sure as heck not going to live my life worrying about such a remote possibility. Shorts, T shirt, light weight gun under my belt, or in my pocket, and I'm happy, despite the fact that I'm not carrying an arsenal. I don't pay to much attention to that tired old gun forum cliché - "guns are supposed to be comforting, not comfortable". For anything but the fanatics (or first time CC guys), long term carry comfort is a must, and it's the only thing that'll keep us non-fanatics carrying daily.

2 guns most of the time

I still carry a j frame... a 60 in the front pocket is the "always" gun.

95% of the time a 1911 or SW 39 series 9mm is on the belt (winter) or at arms reach (in the truck-always)

You won't find me without at least one reload for each either.

In addition to the situational awarness ... I am always doing a mental check for a "fall back" position that offers some cover. The best 'defense' is to not get caught at all... but that's why we call these things "emergencies"

Quote Originally Posted by brabham78 View Post
    ...For those long-odds what-if the sky falls scenario's? I guess I'll have to figure that out if it ever happens, but I don't think it will, and I'll tell you one thing - I'm sure as heck not going to live my life worrying about such a remote possibility. Shorts, T shirt, light weight gun under my belt, or in my pocket, and I'm happy, despite the fact that I'm not carrying an arsenal. I don't pay to much attention to that tired old gun forum cliché - "guns are supposed to be comforting, not comfortable". For anything but the fanatics (or first time CC guys), long term carry comfort is a must...
    I'll take a CC class next month, and then the following month CC becomes legal in AZ anyways...but my brother-in-law got his license about 5 years ago. Carried a full sized gun for about 6 months, then stepped down in a couple of steps to a small 9mm. After a couple of years, he stopped entirely.

I plan to carry a Model 60. I think I can already shoot it well enough for a face shot at 10 feet, but plan to get a LOT more practice in (BTW - with 38+P, it shoots like a dream). Anything bigger than that, and I won't carry often.

40 guys attack? The first couple will get shot in the face or chest, and after that...we'll see. If they are a gang of highly motivated bank robbers, then I'm probably done for. Guess I'll die, but not alone.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Sponsored Links