Does the revolver have any use for CCW??????

This is a discussion on Does the revolver have any use for CCW?????? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; after going through my own ordeal several months ago facing multiple assailants, i have been reading articles of late where a CCW holder has faced ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Does the revolver have any use for CCW??????

after going through my own ordeal several months ago facing multiple assailants, i have been reading articles of late where a CCW holder has faced more than one criminal......just read an article of a Florida man who was jumped by three armed goons, who asked for his money and started shooting BEFORE he even had a chance to comply.....the good guy was able to pull his gun and unload on them, only after being shot four times.....

With todays criminal-element mostly running in "packs", i just cant see where a revolver should even be considered for CCW....as a matter of fact, im even thinking of carrying a SECOND mag for my G19, making a total of 46 rounds.....

this may sound excessive, but i think a semi auto and two spare mags is a minimum.......

anybody else think this way????????

I agree. Times they are changing. I use a .357 j frame as a backup only.

While the semi auto does provide a numerical ammo advantage over the revolver, that does not preculde the revolver from being a viable defense weapon. A number of factors such as risk factor and others must be evaluated. If I carry a revolver it is a .357 with .357 loads and at least two Comp III speed loaders for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    While the semi auto does provide a numerical ammo advantage over the revolver, that does not preculde the revolver from being a viable defense weapon. A number of factors such as risk factor and others must be evaluated. If I carry a revolver it is a .357 with .357 loads and at least two Comp III speed loaders for it.
    taking a round of .357 magnum would not be very pleasant for Mr. Thug

I would say it depends on the city or area of the country that you live in. Obviously if you live a larger city that has a higher crime rate, you should probably be considering the semi-auto with extra mags. In some areas/towns tho, you would be very well served by a 5 shot revolver.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I think you mean a third mag for your Glock for 46 rds. Anyway, why would you think a semi-auto is deadlier or faster than a revolver. A S&W 640 is just as concealable as a glock 19, but the .357 ammo has way more punch. One hit center mass with the .357 will put down most assailants, can you say the same for the 9mm? What kind of encounter do you foresee requiring as much ammo as a Tommy Gun holds?
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    I think you mean a third mag for your Glock for 46 rds. Anyway, why would you think a semi-auto is deadlier or faster than a revolver. A S&W 640 is just as concealable as a glock 19, but the .357 ammo has way more punch. One hit center mass with the .357 will put down most assailants, can you say the same for the 9mm? What kind of encounter do you foresee requiring as much ammo as a Tommy Gun holds?

Mumbai.... Hasan.... Times have a changed. it is only a matter of time before we have to deal with active shooters on a more regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    i meant a SECOND spare mag..........

a lot of shootings i have read about the perp. does not instantly drop-dead with one shot, taking several hits to stop the threat.....further complicate that with one, two, or three additional thugs to contend with, how fast can you reload a revolver, even with a speedloader?????? you've got 11 more trigger pulls with the G19 before you have to reload.......i personally had an encounter a few months ago facing not one, but three thugs who were wanting to do me some physical harm

not bashing the revolver, just discussing its use in todays element....

Quote Originally Posted by bruce21b View Post
    i meant a SECOND spare mag..........

a lot of shootings i have read about the perp. does not instantly drop-dead with one shot, taking several hits to stop the threat.....further complicate that with one, two, or three additional thugs to contend with, how fast can you reload a revolver, even with a speedloader?????? you've got 11 more trigger pulls with the G19 before you have to reload.......i personally had an encounter a few months ago facing not one, but three thugs who were wanting to do me some physical harm

not bashing the revolver, just discussing its use in todays element....
    While not a certainty, I consider hot .357 rounds a much better possibility of a one shot stop.

More frequent incidents with mulitple perps does seem to favor the semi auto.

As for reloads, I find my revolver about one second slower than my auto on reloads. 1.5 vs 2.5 seconds.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    This question gets asked way too often.

The fact of the matter is there will always be a place for the revolver. The largest most powerful production handgun in the world is a revolver. The smallest production handgun is also a revolver. They come in all sizes and calibers. They are easy to maintain and easy to shoot. They are not picky with ammo and there isn't any magazines to fumble with.

If you have to fire at multiple tangos and need more then 5 or 6 rounds you are in the wrong place to begin with.

You auto guys leave the poor revolvers alone
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I carry my .357 J-frame as a backup only. I just don't feel comfortable carrying it as a primary due to the low round count. I'll stick to my 11 rounds of .45ACP
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Times are changing, but by no means makes the revolver obsolete.

An update in tactics is what's needed. If a person chooses a wheel gun, for whatever reason, they just need to know how to manipulate it's advantages and minimize it's disadvantages.

If we continue on this present strain, admitting the low capacity as the vice of the revolver, the only end conclusion would be to carry sub-machine guns. Where do we draw the line?

But perhaps the line is being blurred into extinction...

Times are definitely changing. Besides gangs, we've got the preamblings of war with our southern neighbor.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I carry revolvers and hi capacity Glocks and a few guns that fall in between. When I carry a 357 J frame I know that I am making a compromise. I am willing to make and accept compromises. I try to make for those compromises by being confident in my ability. - carry a 1911 and a G36 frequently. I don't feel that a low capacity semi-auto is much of a compromise over a five shot 357 .
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I carried a 5 shot S&W Airweight as cc for years, this past March I purchased my SA XD40 SC and carry extra mags for the very reason you state in your post. Delaware was always a reasonably safe State, not quite so anymore, and if times do not improve it will get worse before it get better. My snubbie may soon become my BUG.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Perhaps it really comes down to defense vs. combat. I plan for defense. I carry a weapon that is suitable for 1 - 3 attackers. Sometimes that is a lowly .380 with 6 rounds. Othertimes it is a S&W 637 with 5 shots. I don't feel unprepared with either.

If I have to pull it (I hope never to have to) and shoot, I WILL HIT the center chest area.

More than 3 attackers starts to look much more like combat. I can accept my choices and deal the hand that gets dealt to me. However, I avoid bad areas and bad situations to minimize my risk.

So yes, I do believe the revolver has a place in ccw, and a very good one at that.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links