Do you shoot him? - Page 4

Do you shoot him?

This is a discussion on Do you shoot him? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; No matter what state I lived in, I don't believe I would or could ever shoot anyone that wasn't aware that I was there first ...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    No matter what state I lived in, I don't believe I would or could ever shoot anyone that wasn't aware that I was there first unless they were in the middle of attacking a family member OR I could see that they are obviously armed. Don't get me wrong, it's not that they don't "deserve" it by their choices and they certainly should expect that there's a very good possiblility that they are not going to see the light of day after choosing the wrong house. But as not to hijack this thread, I have been thinking of posting a new thread for about a week now of a situation similar to this one but not exactly. The only difference is, the people on this thread who would have jumped the gun, would have just killed their son. I would rather be killed myself. So as to the OP's question, for me, no. I would not come out shooting, denying the offender, (who could be someone I know) the chance to reveal themselves and their intent. Especially when to me, the OP has indicated that there is no immediate threat of death or GBI. Unless you're an extreme klutz, I just don't see how you can lose the upper hand here. All it takes is a move in the wrong direction that I deem a life threatening move on his part and POW. Game over. If he's armed and doesn't keep his hands away from it, POW. I will win. Lots of variables here but I think the only way I would lose in this situation, is to come out gunning one of my teenage boys down who just wanted to sneak back in the house for whatever reason and I hadn't given them one last chance to show me what was actually happening and who it was. This is IMO and in my living situation.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post

The question has come up "What if he turns to run?".
    You dont want to shoot him in the back. So, you need to shoot him before he turns around.
    "When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the
    scabbard." -General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

If I can't tell if the intruder is a threat or not i'd rather err on the side of my own survival....if they surrender and comply I guess they get to go to jail...if they want to run out of the house then that's fine. I can't say for sure whether or not in the what of the moment lead will be following their exit... Who knows what they will or won't do in this situation until it actually happens right? I'm not rambo, I just want to live till i'm 100+ :p
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Shoot.
    Don't think, shoot.
    Don't wonder about his intentions, shoot.
    Don't make him a cup of tea, shoot.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

These two threads are getting significant postings, with lots of good food for thought. I thank you all for that.

Given my living situation, and who lives in my home, if you enter my home uninvited at 0'Dark:30, and I have verified that you are indeed a threat, I will use what force is legal to stop you.

In my home I cannot safely retreat to the yard. In short, I am stuck, and I refuse to put myself and my spouse at the mercy of a criminal aggressor. Why else would a person be in my home at that hour and not announcing their intentions? I think it is reasonable to assume that the intent is to do harm to those within the home.

The handheld flashlight, and lights on the longarms are to indeed verify that you are an unknown intruder/aggressor before I shoot. While I have a command voice, and use it often in my work, I am not inclined to give up the tactical advantage of stealth. In short, yes, I will shoot you in the back with no warning if that is what I feel is the safest alternative to resolve the situation.

You made your choice when you entered my home, you can reap the rewards. I don't care about you. I only care about myself and those within my home that are supposed to be there, at that point in time. It's not called Castle Doctrine for nothing, and yes, I will protect the Castle and the Queen that resides there, as well as the King, ME. I know that sounds cold and harsh, but sometimes it's a cold and harsh world.

If you entered the wrong house by accident, drunk or what-not, you made a bad choice. You have displayed your intentions, and made them clear to me, by entering the wrong home. If your intentions are not what you have displayed then it sucks to be you, but you will still be dealt with by the intentions you have displayed.

While I have no desire to shoot anyone, I also have no desire to be anyone's victim when I have the means and ability to not be.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by CCWFlaRuger View Post
    Shoot.
    .Don't think, shoot
    I hope I never do this.

(Practicing the physical actions until automatic is one thing, but conscious thougtht left out where lethal force is an option? No.)

If I die as a result, so be it.
    Last edited by 9MMare; June 13th, 2010 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Added 2nd sentence
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Yes, if I have to.

Just because the law says I can shoot him doesn't mean I have to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Back 40 View Post
    I will use my gun to defend self and family but I won't just because I "can". If the guy makes a move that is any way percieved As agressive no doubt he's done for, but if he surenders face down legs and arms spread looking away from me and doesn't move till the cops show up he will live to see another day.
    These 2 posts are KEY here, IMO. And seem to be the distinction between the 2 main trains of thought in these threads.

And I agree.
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

VIP Member
    Shoot.
    Don't think, shoot.

No offense but you really need to get some training and rethink your attitude and mindset.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

If I can see both hands and they are empty, he gets a single verbal command that he had better immediately comply with. If I cannot tell if he is armed or not, then I will assume he is, and he gets the 00 buck or several rounds of 9mm. I've got my wife and 2 kids in the house (and out of the line of fire) - I am not taking chances. My doors and windows are always locked, even when I am home, so he didn't just stumble in by accident.

Nothing good happens after midnight, especially if a BG is in your home.
    I would not trust what he says nor expect him to be alone....or unarmed.
    I don't wanna shoot anyone but this stranger is a threat.

I'd probly light him up and begin shouting directions. If one verbal order is not followed then I'm engaging. Going hands-on is not an option and he may have buddies about.

Chances are better I'd have a mess to clean up in the morning.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Here's my .02 worth.
    It happened to me, but at 9:00am! The main reason that I did not shoot was I feared that "I" would be prosecuted! That was what was going through my head at the time! I lived in Maryland and they are not very gun friendly, so I retreated upstairs, on the phone with 911.

I saw two of them, one with a hammer and the other with a knife. They had no clue I was in the house at the time so they took their time to gain entry. As I told the 911 operator my location in the house, I told him if the BGs rounded the corner to the stairway I would shoot! I was lucky because the police got there in time.

Now that I am back home in Indiana, my train of thought has changed. We have a very strong "Castle Law" and anyone unannounced in my home will be shot! If I have the tactical advantage of them not knowing I am in the house with them, I will not lose that advantage! Why? Because in Maryland I only "saw two of them", I never did see the third one that was also breaking in! I will never forget that! Never lose your advantage if you have it!

If they are in my home, whatever time it is, for whatever reason, they most likely be shot on sight, if they turn to run though, I will not shoot anyone in the back as they run away!

What I say next, some of you may not agree and that is fine, we each have to make our own decisions! If I am home or in my car, and someone gains entry, I will be very "trigger happy"! As stated before, they are not up to any good in doing so! Weapon or not, I will be "fearing for my life"! I will not try to hold them for the police, "I was fearing for my life"! It would never get that far, if I identify a stranger in my house, they will be a dead stranger in my house, " I was fearing for my life", never lose your tactical advantage, you never know what could happen if you do!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

GB, enlightening post.
    Fortune favors the bold.

I had a "wouldby" carjacker attempt to relieve me of my truck in my own driveway alittle over a year ago. I was standing outside the vehicle when this person ran up behind me. Luckily I heard him coming, and just as he attempted to jump me from behind, I drew my pistol and pointed it at him, at which point he yelled for me not to shoot him, and he quickly backed off, then turned and ran away. It happened very quickly, and I never saw a weapon. This was around 10:30 at night, but I chose not to fire, do to him backing up and turning away from me to escape, and I will not shoot anyone in the back. I live in a state which has the "Castle Law," and if a BG breaks the threshold of my home, or attempts to take my vehicle when I'm in it, he will be shot...period, but each situation has to be judged individually, because none are "cut and dry."
    "God hears all prayers, even when the answer is No."

Quote Originally Posted by SCALPHUNTER View Post
    but each situation has to be judged individually, because none are "cut and dry.
    You Sir are so correct!!!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Quote Originally Posted by SCALPHUNTER View Post
    I had a "wouldby" carjacker attempt to relieve me of my truck in my own driveway alittle over a year ago. I was standing outside the vehicle when this person ran up behind me. Luckily I heard him coming, and just as he attempted to jump me from behind, I drew my pistol and pointed it at him, at which point he yelled for me not to shoot him, and he quickly backed off, then turned and ran away. It happened very quickly, and I never saw a weapon. This was around 10:30 at night, but I chose not to fire, do to him backing up and turning away from me to escape, and I will not shoot anyone in the back. I live in a state which has the "Castle Law," and if a BG breaks the threshold of my home, or attempts to take my vehicle when I'm in it, he will be shot...period, but each situation has to be judged individually, because none are "cut and dry."

Huh....someone else who chose to...needed to...draw his gun but also chose not to shoot....because he didnt have to.

Well done sir!
    Fortune favors the bold.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links