Preventing someone from getting too close

This is a discussion on Preventing someone from getting too close within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by OldVet You sound like a very threatening person, unhapply living in fear of your life, and an incident waiting to happen. Ah, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Preventing someone from getting too close

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    You sound like a very threatening person, unhapply living in fear of your life, and an incident waiting to happen.
    Ah, whatever happened to politeness and common courtesy.
    Here in FL, I have the right to be anywhere in the public, and can defend myself without any need to retreat, such as in parking lots and gas stations. So does everyone else. Keep in mind that the next person whom you challenge may reply in kind.
    Wow...how talented you are to being able to look into my soul and ascertain my level of happiness, as well as my level of "fear" without ever having met me. I do not live in fear and am considered a very polite person to all that know me. I don't go around "challenging people". I was responding to the OP's original question about how I do something and what I'm comfortable with. Since when is being prepared and situationally aware "challenging" anyone? If you really read my post you would know that these actions are reserved for someone that intentionally invades my space at an inappropriate time and place.

I'm all for discussions of a constructive nature, but I thought the purpose of this forum was to disseminate information on how different people approach situations, rather than play armchair psychologist with someone you don't have a clue about?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    I have an arm's length rule of thumb that I try and work with if the individual that is getting into that space is setting off an uneasy feeling with me.
    I have no problem blading my strong side away and using my off side arm to push or ward off that person. It dosen't happen that often but I do have a personal space that I will take control over. If I am on duty in uniform that space depending on the situation becomes twice the distance or more. Eye contact also has the ability to let others know that there approch is not welcome. With that said I really am a gregarious type of person on my own terms. LOL.
    Old Vet: As I stated in my post "if the individual that is getting into that space is setting off an uneasy feeling with me". I am under no obligation nor is anyone else to allow someone to get right up in my face or within striking distance of me if I have a valid reason to feel threatened. The threat is the assault. The battery is the actual touching. People come into my safe zone on a daily basis and I do not feel they are a threat. There is no action taken on my part to move them away from me or for me to move away from them. Then on those rare occasions that someone does not feel or look right I will do what I feel is necessary and articulate the same to stay out of harms way.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Boy View Post
    Wow...how talented you are to being able to look into my soul and ascertain my level of happiness, as well as my level of "fear" without ever having met me. I do not live in fear and am considered a very polite person to all that know me. I don't go around "challenging people". I was responding to the OP's original question about how I do something and what I'm comfortable with. Since when is being prepared and situationally aware "challenging" anyone? If you really read my post you would know that these actions are reserved for someone that intentionally invades my space at an inappropriate time and place.

I'm all for discussions of a constructive nature, but I thought the purpose of this forum was to disseminate information on how different people approach situations, rather than play armchair psychologist with someone you don't have a clue about?
    Impressions are not how you persieve yourself but how others persieve you. Based on your original response, I'll stick to mine.

Step back, take yourself out of the equation, and think about how you would persieve someone who addressed you as you stated you do. Maybe you didn't put into print what you meant as well as you intended.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    [B]

Old Vet: As I stated in my post "if the individual that is getting into that space is setting off an uneasy feeling with me". I am under no obligation nor is anyone else to allow someone to get right up in my face or within striking distance of me if I have a valid reason to feel threatened. The threat is the assault. The battery is the actual touching. People come into my safe zone on a daily basis and I do not feel they are a threat. There is no action taken on my part to move them away from me or for me to move away from them. Then on those rare occasions that someone does not feel or look right I will do what I feel is necessary and articulate the same to stay out of harms way.
    In reference to OP's post, he did not say BGs too close (although I'm sure that was his inference). You replied as if anyone within your personal safe zone is being pushed back (no mention of verified BGs).

You should know that no one is allowed to put hands on (battery if so be) another without due cause, and I don't think being "too close" will stand up in court.

Had you mentioned a threatening individual, then by all means, maintain your zone.

I don't like anyone up close in my face, not even my wife. I move back, not push away. If there's going to be an incident, I'm not going to be seen as the aggresser.
    Have a good one (what's left of it!).
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    [/I] Maybe you didn't put into print what you meant as well as you intended.
    I made myself abundantly clear in my original post and my subsequent one directed at you...what's not to understand? If it were you in that lot approaching me that you would challenge me back?? My original statement stands: If someone approaches me at an inappropriate time or place and I feel threatened, I will do my best to keep them from getting within my immediate space. If they escalate the perceived threat, I will respond with whatever means I feel are warranted, appropriate and (of course) legal. I would hope if it were you, you'd have the sense not to be doing something like that in the first place. I think it's possible that you may be the one misinterpreting the response. Like the previous post mentioned, people invade our space all the time and we don't feel a need to react defensively...what I'm talking about is a very specific occurrence that just "doesn't seem right" at the time.

VIP Member
    I only take a bath on my birthday... seems to keep people away pretty well!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Orange Boy, I was reading through this tread and totally understood what you said. I mean, this is a self-defense forum, isn't it? It was pretty obvious you were not talking about a child walking past you in broad daylight. You were referring to a threat.

The type of threat that walks towards you and asks you for a cigarette as they approach, just to get close enough to pull a gun on you. Which, is in fact the situation that the OP was referring to.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Obviously, one cannot control the distance from other individuals in many places (stores, movie theaters, etc.), but when seeing others approach out on the street or in a parking lot...a different story...depends upon the situation.

Sometimes we may have individuals who seem to appear out of nowhere, and I have had that happen in the past in a parking lot. Sometimes it is impossible to have eyes in the back of your head...I'm working on it.

In other circumstances, I have avoided little gatherings I could spot out on the street, and I have announced my intention to avoid an 'interview' in a parking lot by panhandlers or 'salesmen'.
    I'm not a friendly guy when approached out in the open. I do not let strangers get too close to me without an unfriendly voice, expression, and physical signals/body language...I have not yet had anyone interpret my 'communication' as any thing but, "I think I'll leave that crazy guy alone...there are easier pickins".
    That's my take on it too.

It's nearly impossible to go thru life with a manageable buffer around you. Some street guys will converge on you discreetly, rather than let you see them coming.....they know how to get close to you and catch you off-guard when they make that dollar request.

Even crossing a busy street at the crosswalk you're meeting people in which any one of them can suddenly try to suddenly stop you for that "spare dollar".
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I only take a bath on my birthday... seems to keep people away pretty well!
    Why so often? Sounds a little OC in the cleanliness department to me!

I may have made one of the comments about letting someone get too close.
    I was not referring to any one particular post. I see it in many responses to situations posted here. You see the "Your first mistake was letting them get to close" remark in many of the threads here.

I only posted this to point out that this simplistic response if of no value unless the next statement involves how you can go about that in normal life. I do pride myself on being aware of my surroundings. Even with that there are times you cannot keep people away.

Michael

Panhandlers are notorious for their tendency to "walk up" on you when they are asking for money. This, to me, is a threatening behavior, especially if they are messing around in their pockets while doing so. When someone singles me out (ie: is staring at me in a fixed way or calls to me in an empty parking lot) I immediately say "Don't walk up on me" or "Don't get in my face". If they comply, I will listen to them. If, after I've already indicated to them that their increasing closeness causes me to feel threatened, and they still walk up on me, it's on.

DISCLAIMER: In case anyone has trouble understanding this post, the scenario I am talking about is a person of ominous appearance/behavior to whom I have already made clear that their attention and approach are abundantly unwelcome and perceived as threatening. Except in the case of violent toddler street gangs this also does not apply to children.
    A man without a blackthorn stick is a man without an expedient. - Irish Proverb

Why so SERIOUS?

People approaching you in parking lots (bums, panhandlers, crackheads) tend to be polite, knowing that most people are trained by society to be polite back. I prefer to use the "grumpy old man" tactic. I will give them a preemptive look. If that doesn't deter them, a good "Get the ---- away from me" usually works.
    If that doesnt work.... Well...
    Freedom.... The Price Keeps Going Up, and the Quality Keeps Going Down.

MySpace

In the supermarket checkout line, a shopping cart is the appropriate distance. At a ball game, the armrest represents the neutral zone. In an empty parking lot, there's plenty of room, so don't walk next to me. Observe eye and hand movement, speed and angle of approach, and "what doesn't look right here" actions. I usually can see when someone is vectoring into my space before they cross that line, and I make certain they see the NO TRESPASSING sign before they reach that line. It can be a glare, a verbal waring, or a threat, based on the speed and intensity of their violation. That said, occasionally I find zips in the wire, and then the threat level must be raised...which is really okay, because nothing makes you feel alive and focuses you like a good fight/flight adrenaline rush. The action is typically move away smartly, so the visitor's movement and intent is more easily interpreted, and of course the left arm raised to block, the right hand on the weapon.

You have no choice, you must run and yell like a banshee .....

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    You have no choice, you must run and yell like a banshee .....
    That is funny

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links