This did happen but I'm wondering what you folks would have done if it turned ugly.

This did happen but I'm wondering what you folks would have done if it turned ugly.

This is a discussion on This did happen but I'm wondering what you folks would have done if it turned ugly. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This happened about 2 months ago. I was leaving my house when I saw a vehicle pull into a driveway very quickly, slam it into ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: This did happen but I'm wondering what you folks would have done if it turned ugly.

Question This did happen but I'm wondering what you folks would have done if it turned ugly.

This happened about 2 months ago. I was leaving my house when I saw a vehicle pull into a driveway very quickly, slam it into reverse and once he was on the curb he quickly jumped out and confronted the people on the sidewalk.

The two males started to fight instantly and of course there was a female yelling at the other male to leave her boyfriend alone. I'm sitting at a 4 way stop watching this and I dial 911 to report the fight in progress. It happened on a Friday night so I knew a response would not happen quickly.

So I inform dispatch of the fight in progress and they asked me if any weapons where involved. It was nighttime and they where not fighting in an area that was lit so I could not answer that question but I could see them I could just not tell if anyone had any sort of weapon without lighting them up which I was not about to do.

The fight went on for a good 5 minutes and both parties did go separate ways before the police arrived but I've been thinking about what if I did see a weapon. What if one man simply grabbed a brick from the wall that was close by. What if one of them pulled a knife and started to stab the other?

Could I just sit in my car knowing I'm armed and just wait for the police to show up? Could I just watch another person die knowing I could take action but do nothing about it since my life is not in danger? Do I really want to step in and attempt to stop the attacker when I can simply watch from a distance and relay what I see to dispatch?

I'm not sure if I could just sit and watch someone get murdered when I have the ability to intervene but the other part of me says do I want to have to deal with getting involved with something that does no concern me.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post

Could I just sit in my car knowing I'm armed and just wait for the police to show up?
    Yes, unless you are off-duty LEO in your jurisdiction.

Could I just watch another person die knowing I could take action but do nothing about it since my life is not in danger?
    Not your job. Leave it to the pros.

Do I really want to step in and attempt to stop the attacker when I can simply watch from a distance and relay what I see to dispatch?
    No. It's a risk, and you don't really know what's going on anyway.

I'm not sure if I could just sit and watch someone get murdered when I have the ability to intervene
    Yes, it's tough but having that CC permit does not make you a LEO. It gives you the ability to defend yourself by using deadly force. That's it.

but the other part of me says do I want to have to deal with getting involved with something that does no concern me.
    You do not. The lawsuits are endless, and that's the least of it.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

what he said^^^^

What I would do?

Same. And be a good witness... a real good witness...

Without knowing any details or the persons involved, your only option is 911...you are not a cop.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I would call 911, make sure that I have a way to retreat if necessary, and then let them know I'd called 911.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Oh look, another "should I get involved in a situation I know nothing about" thread.

I posted this because it something I've been thinking about. I'm sorry that you don't agree with it but I have no clue why you felt you had to tell me it is useless.

Of course I had no clue about what took place prior to the fist fight breaking out but that is not the point.

I was simply posting something that was on my mind and something I've been thinking about and nothing more. If you have a problem with that, do not respond.

I know I'm not a LEO and I know my CFP does not give me any special powers but I also know that it would be very hard for me to not step into a situation where someone is being murdered when I can intervene.
    Last edited by HotGuns; June 14th, 2010 at 02:08 AM. Reason: deleted comments no longer needed

Call 911, then keep driving and you won't see anyone get killed.
    I may be biased as I'm retired now.

I posted this because it something I've been thinking about.
    Yeah, I think about it a lot too. I'll bet other people do too.

It's easy to say, "don't get involved," (like I did) but it would be really hard to do in practice.

I wish I could remember where I read the article about the lawsuits that arise from people trying to help out and then just mucking things up even worse.

Another thing I think about is what happens when the LEOs arrive and I've got my gun out, when there wasn't really a threat to me to begin with...

These are about as big a snake pit as domestice violence situations. Even when you respond in uniform, separate everyone and get their story, it is often just a muddy pond. As a civilian, trying to ascertain what is really happening and act, is neigh on to impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    These are about as big a snake pit as domestice violence situations. Even when you respond in uniform, separate everyone and get their story, it is often just a muddy pond. As a civilian, trying to ascertain what is really happening and act, is neigh on to impossible.
    Yeah and on top of that I've heard they often team up against you, the outsider, when they were fighting each other tooth and nail only moments before.

I agree. Hard to say...and sometimes harder to do...but you have to walk away. You reported it...fortunately it did not escalate to weapons...and other than a few bumps and bruises there were no other injuries. Domestics are the worse and can quickly turn on you.
    Best Regards from Minnesota,

Rick

VIP Member
    As others have said, hard as it may be, your best course of action is to call 911 and be a good witness. While staying on the line with 911 I would try to move to a position to observe and relay any info to the 911 operators.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    As others have said, hard as it may be, your best course of action is to call 911 and be a good witness. While staying on the line with 911 I would try to move to a position to observe and relay any info to the 911 operators.
    I did dial 911 and reported it. Why so many are missing that part I'm not sure.

What I'm asking is after that point things turn ugly. Then what do you do? It is simple to say nothing but when real life happens in front of you are you truly going to do nothing and watch someone die?

Senior Moderator
    Gentlemen...

I've done some thread cleanup.

Keep it on topic and knock off the silly comments, The OP has asked a serious question. If you can't contribute something of value to the thread, then dont post.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I did dial 911 and reported it. Why so many are missing that part I'm not sure.

What I'm asking is after that point things turn ugly. Then what do you do? It is simple to say nothing but when real life happens in front of you are you truly going to do nothing and watch someone die?
    For myself, I let things turn ugly.

When I am not working I will not involve myself in someone else's problem, except to the level I want to. For me that means a good witness and a call to the on-duty constabulary.

Bad things happen to good people in the nicest of places. While I may be justified in defending a third party, the odds are that I won't unless I'm on the clock. As long as it isn't happening to me and mine, I pretty much don't care.

There are two kinds of problems in this world, their's and mine. I will not make their problem one of mine. Just because I am "authorized" to act on someone's behalf doesn't mean I should.

http://www.stoppingpower.net/comment...tervention.asp

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; June 14th, 2010 at 02:19 AM. Reason: link added

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links